Portland Or salvage yards?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Portland Auto Wreckers off of Columbia Blvd in NE Portland. That's pretty much the only place I go. They also get US custom's impounds. ;)

~Brian

they sold portland u pull it now it is a lkq i went there last week and they had crushed all there cars. i wonder if they still get the customs impounds

I hit Portland Auto Wreckers regularly. They seem to crush 'em pretty fast, and Datsuns get picked over pretty fast. More Ratsunistas around here than you would think. You got to have a good attitude and a smile or they will charge the hell outta you. Sometimes I get good deals and other times I get bent over. Never seen any 521s.

There is a U-Pull-It in Tigard between King City and Sherwood on 99w. Have had good luck there and they seem like they can be reasoned with on price and if you buy something for twenty-five or thirty dollars they won't even ring up a pile of little stuff. Have had uncomfortable episodes with young Hispanic gentleman that were grabbing parts that I had just put on the ground. :( Still never seen any 521s.

I was at the U-Pull-It in East Portland on 111th and Foster yesterday. No 521s, two 620s and a 720. A really nice '82 300 ZX, God what a shame.

As Dislexi said, U-Pull-It on Hwy 212 & Sunnyside Rd in Damascus, way east out off of 205. Had good luck there, but still never seen a 521.

There is a U-Pull-It up in Vancouver, off 205, 9605 NE 76th St. Never been there. I bet all those Tuesday night Ratsunistas in D'Couve have that place all scoped out.

Happy hunting...

I think Deslexi was onto something there. I noticed that the whole yard looked like it had been moved or something when I was there yesterday. It was all reorganized anyway. I heard some employees talking and I'm thinking that all the Pick 'n Pulls are under new ownership.

Anyway, I saw this sweet little 620 sitting there yesterday and woke up at five this morning thinking about it. I must be out of my mind, but I just went back over there and stripped that sucker clean until I was rain soaked, cold and tired of wrenching.

This is before...

5029c199.jpg

after...

5afc4f36.jpg

The bed was one of the nicest I have ever seen. It had holes drilled in the rail for a camper, that's why the bed didn't have a single scratch in the paint and the sides were freakin' straight too. The tailgate was in the pretty fair class.

d355aa5f.jpg

Nice Barden bumper. I wanted the rear turn signal housings and the tailgate bumpers but not enough to take the bumper off.

f6637f34.jpg

I always wonder when I look at otherwise clean engines, do they run? Probably not. Probably blew a head gasket or just needed a valve job. I don't know, it had a brand spanking new brake master and I even grabbed a nice OEM floor mat. This one was running not too long ago.

da5a2db8.jpg

I would love to have this engine and tranny but I don't have a place to put it. I hope it goes to a good home. The stock carb & wiring was all intact, the only things that I got beat to were the dizzy, radiator, water pump and the valance behind the hood.

I have a gut feeling that the prices went up too. But really, it's up to the guy that's the cashier to work it out for you. I ask how much a door was and he said $75. I said ouch, they are not that nice of doors, I mean they don't have electric windows, door locks and the interiors are trashed. He said they are all fixed prices and points to a big menu board with all the part types and prices.

I said, what I really want is the glass, how does that work? He said, glass $35 and if the door doesn't have glass it's only $50.

So, I have two wheelbarrows full of stuff, plus the doors, hood, grill (w/chrome trim rings) and the windshield. I rolled the windows down in the doors so they wouldn't get broken. One guy is running the register another guy is looking at the stuff and telling him what codes to enter. He looks at the doors and doesn't see glass so they charged me $98 for both doors. He looks at the wheelbarrows and says, you can have all that stuff.

Lot's off little goodies, nice windshield wiper booties, plastic hood prop clip and the grommet that holds the prop, nuts, screws, relays, you know all that little stuff that breaks and wears out over time. I was going for the floor mat and the neoprene drain plugs in the cab floor, when I see major terminal cancer/rust at the "see through" driver floor. The passenger side was cool, so I look at the windshield 'cuz I know it was leaking.

Must have leaked bad because this was a brand new replacement windshield. It was perfect and had a blue tint stripe on the top. I think that is the clue, plus when I started to cut into the gasket, it was soft and pliable.

My windshield leaked for a while until I RTVed it. I got caught in a sand storm in Arizona in 1975 and it got sandblasted... it's torched. I have been calling around and searching the internet for replacement windshields and gasket sets. Not easy to find but not impossible at all. The best price I got for a new windshield was $225, choice of green or blue tint, no clear.

The side windows are a real bitch, but the PPG "Vintage" division said they had a left and a right, but they were in two different places on the east coast and with shipping they would be $500. He didn't say if they came with the channel that holds the glass and bolts to the window regulators. Doubt it, just the glass. He said, if I got the windshield and the side glass, he could eat some of the shipping, I could have new windshield and side glass for $725.

Next.

Two cherry doors with no dings, really clean glass and a nearly mint windshield, very good hood, tailgate, lower valance and a bunch of other crap... $279.92.

I hope somebody pulls the bed, engine/tranny, the notched bench seat and a perfect heater with new valve and hoses...

It's kind of sad to see it go, but it will live rolling on my truck. :)

I hear you about grabbing the whole truck. I ask the guys a Portland Wrecking a couple times if I could buy trucks, but they said no and gave me attitude too.

It would have been easy restoration. The worst thing was the rusted through cab floor, but it was only one side. I see way more hammered pieces of junk 620s running hard as work trucks all the time.

Maybe in a few years we will be kicking ourselves about some the marginal stuff we toss now. On the other hand, I'm putting together a little inventory of parts, so if I have accidents or something, I can snap it back together, not search the world and spend a fortune.

Like I said before, that truck was a runner not that long ago.

bluemeanie, pm me, I'll give you my number, maybe I can hook you up with a hood and fender.

"SAVE EVERYTHING!!!" steroid