Hellaflush!

cjr198car

Actually, yes I have seen it happen. Before I worked at my current shop I worked at a Ford dealership and did all of their tire installs, mounts, and balances. If the tire is stretched, the lip does NOT seat as well as if a proper sized tire is placed on the same rim. I won't argue physics with you, if you don't want to believe me, go ask any other ASE certified mechanic about it, or a reputable tire store.

Look, regardless if I think it looks awesome or stupid, reality is reality. you stretch the sidewall of a tire like that, and even if the bead seats well, tires aren't designed to be stretched that way. I am not going to argue about this. If you can prove to me that you are an ASE certified mechanic and give me proof that you have worked as a mechanic professionally for longer than I have, or maybe give me at least a couple of references from some reputable tire retailers that recommend you stretch their tires I still probably will not change my opinion, because physics and my personal experience say stretching a tire that way is a bad idea.

im an ase certified mechanic.. ask me

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

im an ase certified mechanic.. ask me

so...you are ASE certified and think stretching a tires sidewall two or more inches to fit an over sized rim is a great idea and poses no risks at all, and the only reason people think its a safety concern is because they don't like the fad? WOW.

You ever consider that maybe the reason I think the fad is stupid is because its a stupid idea? Just like huge spoilers on a car that can't go fast enough to provide any usable down force from said spoiler.

If you want someone to argue with it isn't going to be me, because I know I am right, and I have seen stretched tires fail, I don't have to go scouring the internet for photos or come up with a scientific hypothesis on why this is a bad idea. Like I said, go call some tire manufacturers and ask them if stretching a sidewall in that fashion is a great idea, and ask them if they will warranty the tires if installed in said fashion.

To be fair, I have drifted on a slight stretch... here and there, and they seem to be fine. I had a friend last year that drove and drifted on more aggressive stretch and again it was fine. Another friend in a civic tried the stretch look, didn't take the proper precautions and had a failure of the tire. Like anything, you can do it wrong or you can do it right, in the same way you would never throw a bigger turbo on a car and not compensate the fuel for the tune.

I have had regular tires fail on me for no reason and I think the term "rice" is being mis-construed. I think of "Rice" as cheap mods, or big bodykits with sunken wheels and flashing lights. Most cars on Hellaflush seem for the most part to be proper cars with above average mods. You can look at all the people who imitate/butcher the style but the site itself doesn't rep those half ass cars.

As for shops, the shops where I live don't seem to have problems stretching rubber within reason. Well at least the shops that are reputable and in touch with the current automotive scene.