a14 questions

oneslick720

Fired the a14 up in my 521 for the first time friday night... super stoked

question is...

what all can i get rid of off the motor as in like the smog stuff and ect...

there is a whole bunch of vaccume stuff there are even wires going into the carb

i want to get rid of the smog but dont know how any help will be appreciated

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

U really dont need any of that. as for the wires I really dont know but One is for electric choke, 2. is for Anti-dieseling solenoid and the last is for Throttle valve switch.

when taking the smog out make sure to plug up the holes when u pull the tubes out. with Vacuum Plugs. they sell em at Autozone.

Not worth the bother. The 'smog stuff' back then was rudimentary at best and had little effect on the power or running. Take the fan belt off the air pump if equipped other wise you'll pull something and cause more problems.

there are a ton of lines you dont need, its hard to say for me what you can rip off, a b210 manual would show you all the necessities

the a12 engine is pretty similar, this page has helped me before with this http://datsun1200.com/modules/mediawiki/index.php?title=Emission_Controls.

as for the wires out of the carb,the one in the back is for the choke and the other is for the anti-dieseling, ive got my choke always open so i dont worry about that, but the anti-dieseping keeps your engine from puttering after you shut her off

I'll get a picture with my A15 and minor emissions tomorrow. I've pulled everything excepts the EGR piping. The EGR valve is gone and I made a blockoff from some aluminum and used a new EGR gasket with it. Also replaced the standard carb with a Weber 32/36 DGV which meant I had to re-route vac lines as well as wiring.

Minimal wiring is simple. Off the top of my head,you'll need ;

• temp sensor,
  • oil pressure sending unit,
  • alt signal and power,
  • starter,
  • switched 12volt choke wire (assuming it's electric.) and anti-dieseling solenoid
  • distributor wiring (I think the A14 is electronic, but I'm not sure)
  • coil wiring from distributor

Theres a few more things I'm sure I'm missing, so I'll add on more in the morning unless someone else can chime in.

I would switch that Oil pressure sending unit for a Mechanical Oil pressure Gauge. That way u can keep an eye on the Oil pressure, very important.

Ur better of just swaping ur carb for a weber. find another intake and get the adapter for the weber and thats it.

I will get a pic of what I have done to my A15 soon.

Here's my A15 with an A14 head.

Kinda ugly but goes like stink in my 1600 pound MG Midget!

I need to cut some stuff loose, like that hose below the carbs, a little fresh paint might also spruce it up...

Imgp8814.jpg

• 2 months later...

rbastedo what carbs are those

Sorry I didn't see your question before, they are British SU's model HIF-4.

The float is in the bottom rather than off to the side in a detached float bowl.

That way they fit in there without bumping into my heater.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, that's one of the reasons I've really enjoyed the older Volvo's I've had.

There's nothing like a set of well sorted SU's.

Like anything British, when they are right they are great - keeping them right can be a challenge.

I've since fitted a pair of cone shaped K&N filters that attach with a big ring clamp over the outside of the air rams.

The front carb just touches the under side of my hood, I may be able to adjust the motor mount down 1/4 inch, which I will try next time we pull the motor to install the rebuilt 5 speed. Man that's going to be fun to drive with the dogleg 210 5 speed!!