This is a stupid problem to be having

metalmonkey47

when we break off stud in heads at work, we give it one good try to drill 'em out, if we can't, we send it out to the machine shop, I can't believe you can't find anyone to take your money, we have 5 different shops within 10 min depending on who is busiest and who will have the fastest turn around

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The drill I used was a huge electric that we have for heavy drilling. I tried torching it, but I didn't want to head it up too much and end up warping it or causing some damage. After all, it is aluminum.

I spoke to a guy at work the other day that happened to work in a show across the street and told me he grew up on a B210 with an A14 and offered to work on it for me. VERY smart guy. Took it over today and said it most likely needed to be milled but he would check it before giving it back. WHen I pulled the head, I found that the head gasket was blown at the back side of cylinder 4. Weird, because it wasn't smoking any other then a little bit of burning oil from the work valve seals. When I handed him the head, he looked straight to the bottom side and when he mentioned it may need a good milling, pointed out (without me mentioning a thing about it) the area on the back side of the head where the head gasket was gone. I'm still waiting on a paycheck from Autozone, but when i get it I'm ordering gasket and valve seal set. Then piecing the engine back together. I'm in the process now of killing all the EGR piping and blocking off all the un-needed shit now. Cleaned up piston tops today.

Pics in the build thread.

Got the head back and it was EXCELLENT. He did some cleaning and ground out the old bolt. It wasn't going to come out, so he had to use a die grinder and bit to get it out and inserted a sleeve.

Also checked the head for flatness and said no milling was needed cool.gif

Pics will be posted later.

In advance... shutuppppp indy. lol