Cloudy Windshield

Do any of you have this problem...seems to be an issue with some of the 521's I've seen but perhaps a bit more widespread with other era Datsuns...just a slight creamy discoloration of the entire windshield like it's bleaching a little from years of being parked in the sun? Upon first glance, you'd think it was a light coating of dust or a sandblasting of sorts...the response would be to wash the glass. My issue is with a '71 521 truck. During the day, you'd notice the film. A little less prevalent at night or on a rainy day. Bright lights and reflections don't cause a starburst pattern, however. I'm guessing the plastic wedged between the two panes of safety glass is beginning to tint blueish-grey from years of exposure to the elements like a light bulb that is losing its vaccuum. What have you done just short of replacing the entire windshield?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing you can do about it short of replacement. But you're right, it's the plastic sandwiched between the two layers of glass that has become compromised (begun to delaminate). I'm surprised you say it's the entire windshield, though, since it usually starts at an edge and grows slowly from there

Do any of you have this problem...seems to be an issue with some of the 521's I've seen but perhaps a bit more widespread with other era Datsuns...just a slight creamy discoloration of the entire windshield like it's bleaching a little from years of being parked in the sun? Upon first glance, you'd think it was a light coating of dust or a sandblasting of sorts...the response would be to wash the glass. My issue is with a '71 521 truck. During the day, you'd notice the film. A little less prevalent at night or on a rainy day. Bright lights and reflections don't cause a starburst pattern, however. I'm guessing the plastic wedged between the two panes of safety glass is beginning to tint blueish-grey from years of exposure to the elements like a light bulb that is losing its vaccuum. What have you done just short of replacing the entire windshield?

If it's surface etching, Harbor Tool and JCWhitney sell glass polishing kits. If it's the plastic laminate between the layers of glass, learn to love it.