The seventy five black datto four by!

makya

That's right, I'm finally posting some pictures so she can have her own thread.

I haven't decided on the final parts list and specs yet, so that will be discussed here. A few pics see where she's at:

Started here about 2 years ago:

datmill1.jpg

datdriveway.jpg

got her to this point:

35acscd.jpg

then bobbed the bed 12"

c4f0scd.jpg

and now she's sitting with no engine, and the interior is mostly stripped. the 35"x14.5-15 swampers a gone and being replaced with 36x12.5-15's

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They're REALLLLLLY grimy. I'm putting Crown moulding in my friends living room in exchange for the axles. They'll be replacing the 30 front & Toyota rear in my truck now. I also have an auto tranny that will be going in. I should have pics in a few days.

does anyone know if I can have a locking tq converter built for the 3 speed auto? I'm going to run a stand alone tranny cooler to dissipate heat, but I'd like to lock it up as well. friction=heat=:(

• 3 months later...

guess not:( went to DMV on tax day and got it registered (I haven't had her on the road since '99:0 ) And I talked to Troy Ermish on the phone about how to build a 4x motor, he said just keep it (relatively) simple and do an L-Z22, so that's what I'm doing, since I already have the parts.

Now that the dually is running again, I can put some time into the 4x. I still need to figure out a power steering setup though.

Even better get the PS off a 280, It's already set up for an L series head. Have to switch to electric fuel pump but ......

I made a PS for my '78 out of a 720 pump. It didn't have the integral reservoir, should have gone that way. (next time) The PS box from a '79/'80??? 280z car fits inside the frame rails but replace the pitman with the 620 one, Fab up a pump mount where the air pump would be and some flex lines and works!

Here's the home made pump mount. Worked the first try, (after bleeding the air out) never ever added fluid and had it for 6-8 years.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/motorhomemadepspump.jpg[/img]"]motorhomemadepspump.jpg

there is a zx with a power steering box in the pull a part by Redeye's place, well if they haven't crushed it yet.... We all know how fast pull a part goes through cars :D

• 10 months later...

Ok, so almost a year later I'm back on the 4x project. I've pulled the bed,fenders, front axle and unbolted the transmission/transfer case. Pictures posted in the next few days.

I'm going to try an oldskool single arm IFS system in the front, like the old dune buggies, but 4x! :blink: Wish me luck.

My other love (besides Datsuns and Family) is Rockcrawling, and I hang out on Pirate4x4 a lot. I ended up taking on a challenge that an IFS system like I described could not be made to work in a mixed rock/desert environment.

We'll see about that:cool:

I'm selling the Dually( :( I'm going to miss that truck)to Steroid, and he's letting me keep the lz22 to put in the 4x:D

So: LZ22/later 720 "short" transmission/D20 to A 1link w/panhard rear and single arm (on each side) IFS front.

I haven't figured out what to use for the front axle and shafts yet. I'd like to stay Datsun/Nissan, but it doesn't sound like it will work. I need something wide.