thinking about switching datsuns

Looking for advice and opinions. I have a 4 door 510. All it can do is go fast, and be scary in the corners. its super fun to drive, but i am thinking about selling/trading for a wagon or truck. My daily driver is an '08 subaru hatch, but there isnt enough room for mopeds or a motorcycle inside. the subaru cant tow anything either.

so i started thinking that a 510 wagon (or maybe? 520/521) could be fun at an autocross, canyon or track But! i want something that can haul at least my mopeds and other random junk.... some utility- mostly fun. anyone know the inside dimensions of the 510 wagons? do the rear seats fold down? i know that a wagon it wont fit a motorcycle, but that was just thinking for the future.

whats involved in getting a wagon to rip around the track? are stiffened springs and front coils enough? could a datsun truck be made to handle on rails?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Goon seats fold down. Stock, all things equal the goon will out handle the 521/620 because it is lighter and closer to the ground.

"The Load Out"

Jason004Large.jpg

Jason's goon. In there are 3 blocks, a set of 200sx rods and pistons, assorted timing covers, a power R&P from an '85 S12, A Z crank an I don't remember what else. You shuld be able to lay a bike down in there.

glad to hear that i could fit a ton of shit into a goon. i have been reading that you can improve the handling by fabbing/swapping independent rear suspension- like a 510 rear subframe.... how often do those come up for sale? i do not have the shop/time/skills to do it on my own.

glad to hear that i could fit a ton of shit into a goon. i have been reading that you can improve the handling by fabbing/swapping independent rear suspension- like a 510 rear subframe.... how often do those come up for sale? i do not have the shop/time/skills to do it on my own.

Id say dont hold your breath

I know of one locally

goon or truck...... there still going to handle like a goon or a truck, not a Porsche

a 510 rear subframe.... how often do those come up for sale? i do not have the shop/time/skills to do it on my own.

contact james (the510keeper) hes likely got one he could drag down to eagle rock.

& a lot of skill time to convert.

unfortunately, i have never been in a 510 that is setup to handle well. so im having a hard time figuring out a benchmark for wagon performance.

low%20(31).jpg

i believe that this dude is using a straight axle with a panhard rod, and supposedly, it rips! 400 something hp aside, is it possible to handle well at an auto-x or track without IRS?

unfortunately, i have never been in a 510 that is setup to handle well. so im having a hard time figuring out a benchmark for wagon performance.

low%20(31).jpg

i believe that this dude is using a straight axle with a panhard rod, and supposedly, it rips! 400 something hp aside, is it possible to handle that nicely without IRS?

he lives around here, over in newburg

I remember an orange goon that used to attend Blue Lake and Shasta. It had a VG and huge friken brakes. Rear end was a total tube conversion. This goon didn't handle like anything i've ever seen. Most notably, he was going up shasta while I was coming down. That thing flew a 90 degree turn at 80MPH-ish and had traction the whole time. Awesome! Where is that goon now?

-B

I suppose it would, but easier to buy a sedan. I think the small increase isn't worth the cost/trouble. A solid axle/leaf spring rear can be improved to close the handling gap making the swap even less worthwhile and more of a curiosity, "yeah it can be done" thing.