Datsun B210 Should I buy her??

Alrighty guys. I may have found a new toy. I don't have any pictures, but its a 1974 (I believe) B210.

Looks to be this body style:

23732060001_large.jpg

The story behind it told to me by the current owner (an older man) is that the guy who he bought it off of purchased the car in the early 1980's. At the time he lived in California. Apparently he was somewhat of a Datsun nut, cause he had 3 other Datsuns. The car was moved to PA about 7 years ago. Fast foward a year ago the current owner bought it off of him. It sat for a while (7 months) because the Datsun nut never registered the car in PA and couldn't find the title. So once the guy got the title and such he started working on the car but recently lost his job.

It is in decent shape I would say.

Here are the Pro's:

-Newer rebuild on the motor done by the previous owner (Datsun guy). I'm not 100% but I'm pretty sure its the original motor or at least the correct motor for the car.

-The transmission it is supposed to come with is a 4-speed, but this has a 5-speed in it. Which was also put in by the previous owner.

-Car comes with a brand new still in the plastic carburetor as well as a ton of other parts such as rear bumper corners, tons of filters, a (from what the owner tells me) factory roof rack and brush guard, a brand new looking side mirror, and other random stuff.

-The interior is in PRIME condition for its age. Brand newish carpet, beautiful dash, nice seats.

-Super tight handling

-Fires right up

-Good Glass

-Comes with american racing wheels (which are gay looking IMO BUT the tires have good tread.)

Con's:

-Has a small soft spot in the driver side floor board and there are a few rust repairs (under both of the doors on the rockers) but are pretty small from the feel of it.

-The brakes are VERY soft. Almost goes completely to the floor and even then the are almost non-existent (which could just be the lines, but idk)

-Driver side seat won't move back, it would need replaced

-No wipers

-The radio and interior lights don't work, from what the owner says, the two spots on the fuse block are broke/blown/ don't work.

-Back passenger window doesn't latch shut

The car was a blue color but has been painted flat black.

The question that makes me hesitate is the price. He wants $1,200. I think this is too steep for the car. I would be willing to pay $800. What do you guys think??

Is this car worth the price?

I love the look of this car and have been wanting something to play with for a while.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I say buy her $1200 is a fair price for a running B210, brake problem sounds like you need a new brake master cylinder about $60. The seat removes easily to fix bottom of seat slide. Offer a $1000 and wait. I doubt there are many buyers for a Datsun B210.

I bid $1250 for a nice B210 on ebay in CALI. I went to see it and drove it. It was nice. I was out bid by a snipe bidder, I didn't have a chance.

Need pictures! East coast would likely be rusty as hell so there may be a few surprizes under the mats. I had a new '76 and the wheel wells rotted away in 4-5 years. If body is as good as the one in the picture then yes try for it. All the cons are easy fixes. Hell half the problems are likely the fuse box. Missing latch part for the window could be made or Pumpkin would have it. Offer $800 and call back in three weeks and see. If she is firm offer to go $1000 and say no higher... she will likely bite. Be sure to have the cash in hand... that is worth an extra 10% when seen. Looks like $1,100 to seller!!!!!

IF you want the car at any price offer $1000 first and fold if you have to.

It's a stock carb, which I figured I could make some money on that, but how much do you think roughly??

The body is in decent shape, like I said, but there is rust. Most has been patch. The two patches are about two inchs or so long on both sides of the car on the rockers. And like I said there is one soft spot on the driver side floor board.

I may just make him an offer and see what happens. Wish me luck.

Con's:

-The brakes are VERY soft. Almost goes completely to the floor and even then the are almost non-existent (which could just be the lines, but idk)

-No wipers

-The radio and interior lights don't work, from what the owner says, the two spots on the fuse block are broke/blown/ don't work.

I would be willing to pay $800. What do you guys think??

you must be loaded. :lol:

w/o current pix its tough to gauge value.

if the items i left are fixed, it seems like a fair offer.

no don't buy it

Any particular reason?

you must be loaded. :lol:

w/o current pix its tough to gauge value.

if the items i left are fixed, it seems like a fair offer.

Not loaded, just sold my Maxima for 1200 bucks so I have some cash to play with.

But after reading up more, I think 600 max is a fairer offer.

Sell carb in box? There's no money in this. Never was. You would have to find someone who want's it and has the money, good luck. Two weeks after you sell it your carb will baff and you will wish you had left it on a shelf. Do not buy something that needs fixing. Brakes could cost you hundreds of dollars. Wiper could be fuse box.

I never planned on selling it, if I got the car, but skunk said there was money in it. I was just curious.

Oh and when I said there were no wipers, I meant literally they are missing.

Oh well. Guess we will see what happens. I think my offer will be too low for what he wants, but stranger things have happened.

ive had a b210 for years. i will agree that there is no money in it as an investment- b210's were economy cars; cheaply made and cheaply sold. but as long as they dont have much rust, they are solid cars. cheap parts and easy to fix. also there is no way the breaks would cost you hundreds of dollars if you find the parts and do the job yourself. check the back of the wheels, if they are wet it could just be the brake cylinder leaking, 20 bucks for the part and an hour of work.

Missing latch part for the window could be made or Pumpkin would have it. Offer $800

I do have those!

And I would offer no more than $800. You can get "Complete" beat up B210s on this coast all the time for $300!! Its definately not worth $1200, and if they say it is you can go over allthe TONS of stuff wrong with it. Tell em that for $1200 you can buy one thats not All messed up and have it brought to you for that kind of cash! I love the B210 and 210s but they are cheep cheep (Like the Birds Say) Great cars for custom or commuter, and I got one of each! I would recomend go there with a written list of the stuff wrong with it, $800 and print these out!

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/1829593836.html

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/1824709427.html

http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/cto/1831038194.html

Just sayin... dont tell them how hard it is to find one in the PA!

Good luck, and remember that if you dont buy it, keep pestering them!

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

I never planned on selling it, if I got the car, but skunk said there was money in it. I was just curious.

Oh and when I said there were no wipers, I meant literally they are missing.

Oh well. Guess we will see what happens. I think my offer will be too low for what he wants, but stranger things have happened.

even tho most of us dont like the stock carbs there are the crazys out there that want to make these things back the way ther were the day they were built. I would think a new in box stock carb would so for some cash on ebay to the right old guy.

Have you driven the B210? A 5spd is excellent for gas mileage and freeway driving. I had an 82 210 with a 5 speed, which was excellent on gas and would cruise at 80 all day long. If it drives good buy it.

I spent $1000 in Cali for a total brake overhaul on my 76 B210 therefore you could bargain the price down on brake issues.

Have you bought the car yet?? or let it go. There was a 75 B210 on Ebay in Texas, they were asking $4,000 and it was in good running condition. It didn't sell.