overheating questions

motavated

Yesterday I headed out of work and after 10 minutes she overheated. Not bad, but the temp gauge was about to hit 200. Pulled over and asked a house hold for water and drove her home. Morning I decided to do a full check up. turned her on, let her warm up in idle. Then what I did I removed the spark plug wire for 10 seconds each one by one. 5 minutes later she overheated again. Water rushed out of the puke tank and father opened up the rad cap only to see hot water boil out. I seen this before... Air in the system.... Decided to open up the heater and let it idle for a while and let the water circulate. Added more water and she was idling fine now. Closed the cap revved her up and down for 30 minutes and she didn't get hot... So I decided to do the spark plug thing.... One by one I took of the spark plug wire while running... Then nothing..... She is not overheating now... I am confused....... I am buying a thermostat new for safety.....

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Overheated again. I was so sure it was the thermostat.... FUCK! I will change the head/headgasket/waterpump/check rad and see what is up.....

I would be highly suspected of a leaky/blown headgasket as well , but could be other things. Compression check , water in oil ? , the works !

^^^ Remember the timing cover has a possible leak area too where it meets the block.

Back Flush Heater Core with garden hose , Flush out Block with garden hose , and Flush Radiator with a garden hose especially !!! You might consider taking the radiator to a radiator shop to see if it is pressurizing correctly ( most in my area will tank pressure check it for free quickly )

Yup , time to do all of those as you know ;) , and remember that Anti-Freeze will lower your boiling point with the water mix ---> usual is 50/50 for our climate ? You could try 40/60 and see if that helps a bit ? Run Cooler plugs as well if you can , and no excessive idling if you can help it :D

^^^ Might just pull the thermostat out all together (<--- only if you really really really are strapped for money and can't fix it right as well as need to get around or stuck in horrible traffic. ) Remember to "Re-Torque" yer headbolts as well ;) :D