thinking about bringing my original datsun back to life after sitting for 8 years

Suspect

When I was 14, I bought this 73 Datsun 620 for $50. I couldn't afford a dirt bike, go cart, or quad so I bought a pickup instead. It had motor problems, basically a warped head. I wish I would have done thing different with this truck but I didn't know what I had or didn't know I'd eventually take a liking to these trucks. I used it as a field beater. I've jumped it several times, just beat the hell out of it. I never fixed the motor but back in 2002 I pulled the motor out to have it gone threw. Nothing ever happened and the truck sit. I tore out the interior, factory AC and then it sit some more. My parents were pissed that I bought this truck and swore that they were going to make me get rid of it or they'd do that them selves. That's probably why I fought to keep it. This truck was my first real purchase and when someone tells me that I can't have something / do something, I prove them wrong.

So here it is, just a heap of scrap steel.... but I see a winter vehicle and maybe another potential restoration project in this hunk of steel. I brought it to my place but I'm not sure how long until my land lord gets pissed. I'm probably just going to get good body panels on it here, and rattle can it one color. I have a couple motor / transmission options, and alot of body parts that are just good enough for now. I figured this will keep me from being bored out here in the city.

IMG_0114.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg

IMG_0112.jpg

IMG_0111.jpg

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if you dont get it out of that no parking zone your not going to be doing shit with it!!!

lol I park there all the time, I'm not sure why the sign is there but that area is the only 5 spots for our house.

haha...... that serves as two purposes.... anti theft and unloading off trailer

Well I started with painting it, since that really the only thing I can do at my place. I need to swap on a fender for the drivers side and finish painting it.

IMG_0139.jpg

After I get done painting it, I'm taking it to my dads again to swap in a L motor, 5 speed, gas tank, wiring harness, and get the brakes working again. Then I'll finish it up with getting the interior usable again.

Its been a few days but I finally got the fender hung and its completely painted minus the hood, door handles, interior, and some touch up I still have to do. Its almost ready to swap in the drivetrain.

IMG_0142.jpg

IMG_0141.jpg

• 1 month later...

Back at it again, pulled the motor out of my other 73 ditched the old 4 speed and added a dogleg 5 speed

IMG_0266.jpg

IMG_0267.jpg

Installing the motor

IMG_0268.jpg

but I'm done for the night, been feeling sick. tomorrow I should have the motor all the way in, just laying in it now, and maybe get some of the brakes and clutch master / slave working again.

Well the next day after it rained... so I stayed home. Sunday and Monday night I came back out to my parents to work on the truck some more. I bounced between building a shed and messing with the truck.

So I didn't accomplish much, just got the motor bolted in, still have to finish on the transmission side. I still have to change out the mid drive shaft bearing so I can put the drive shaft in it. I did get most of the wiring swapped from the donor 73 to the yellow 73. I also got a seat installed, rubber floor mat, and got the seat belts working. For some reason, the yellow 620 has retractable seat belts. I'm going to paint the dash top steel and the gauge surrounds yellow to match the color of the truck.

There is alot of work still has to be done but its getting closer every time I work on it.

THE DONOR TRUCK (DROVE ON AND OFF FOR THE PAST 5 YEARS)

IMG_0284.jpg

IMG_0283.jpg

IMG_0273.jpg

THE YELLOW 620 AND STUFF

IMG_0275.jpg

IMG_0276.jpg

IMG_0277.jpg

IMG_0278.jpg

IMG_0279.jpg

The mirrors on the donor truck are both really nice. I think I have a couple sets of them. I won't be back out there until this Saturday to see if I have any to spare,

I tried to pm you,but your box is full.

I was looking at the donor truck and noticed the door mirror. Is it usable and would you want to seel it?

Thanks

I have this weekend off so I'll be out trying to get as much done as I can with this old truck. It will probably run and move on its own power. I feel that getting the brakes working will take the most time.

I took the dash to my house, ruffed it up and painted it. It came out ok but some of the paint got messed up. I'll probably just leave it that way, it adds character.

P9160193.jpg

• 1 month later...

Still working on this truck here and there. It runs and drives now, been running with a gas can under the hood. I just put a gas tank in it and now it runs on its own. Transmission mount is fabricated and all bolted in, all the 4 corners of the brakes are getting fluid and working, all the wiring is transferred from a donor truck to this one.... All major left is to get all the marker and tail lights in it and working, install the instrument cluster, install shifter, oil change, trans and rear end oil, coolant instead of water, and free up the wipers. The wipers seem to be stuck.

I did modify the gauge cluster some. I took it all apart, knocked out the green bulb inserts, put reflective white tape over the white paint in the cluster, and installed 9 LED 194 Yellow Bulbs to make the gauges bright and yellow.