thinking about bringing my original datsun back to life after sitting for 8 years

Suspect

I got 1/2 the exhaust installed (had to cut the exhaust in half just have to weld it back together), new front brake shoes installed, and rebuilt drives side wheel cylinder. Drove the truck about 3 miles, its not running all that great, seems very under powered. It stops good which is a +.

Picture003.jpg

Picture004.jpg

194led.jpg

72Dats2.jpg

72Dats1.jpg

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally got the truck to run better, changed a plug and a plug wire. It ran good for a about 15 minutes and then went downhill from there. 3 hours of messing with it, finally swapped points from my nearly new on to an old rusty one. Now its running good again. What a pain, cheap autozone points. Before I left my parents to go home, I plugged in the gauge cluster to see what the LED's looked like. This is with no cones on it, just the cluster. The LED's are bright enough to shine threw the black so I guess they are bright enough. They are more amber than yellow, but alot more yellow than the regular 194 ambers. Only pain in the a$$ things is that the LED bulbs are bigger in length and bigger around than a regular 194. It was kinda a puzzle to get them in. Also LED have a positive and a negative and only work one way. I got the first two in on the first try but the third one I plugged in backwards and had to puzzle it back out, flip the bulb, and put it back in. They do make LED bulbs that are more normal size but they look to only point forward. I didn't want to spend the money on them and have dimmer gauges than I already had. These 9LED bulbs have 8 LED's around and 1 LED on the end, pretty much full proof angling light every direction.

IMG_0359.jpg

I bought them on ebay. They are a tight fit even going threw the hole in the back of the gauge cluster. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260644147441&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

I might try these when I do the gauges in my 74 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2x-T10-Wedge-Super-Blue-9-LED-Light-Bulb-194-168-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3caf9a0f3aQQitemZ260644147002QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

trucks lookin good. and where did you get the LEDs??? i want some!

the truck is looking fantastic ...defiantly and inspirational piece ....love the new dash lights

while your wiring in lights you might want ot look into some under the dash

I tucked in a couple of those 6" neon bars under the dash or in the floor boards

they are nice to have if you drop something in the floor or if the passenger is going through something and you dont want the overhead done light on

just a thought when it gets dark tonight i will try to get some pictures of mine...

Keep up the good work you are flying threw this thing

Thanks for all the comments....

I was thinking about plating and driving this truck this Monday but I ran into some problems keeping it running right. I still don't know what the problem is. I thought it was the points and it may still be. I bought a couple new sets, install them and it runs perfect, smooth, revs fast for about 30 seconds. Then it seems like someone fills the cap with water, but nothing foreign is there. Instead of finishing the lights, I've been stuck trying to figure this running problem out.

As for the neons or led's under the dash, I've been seriously thinking about doing that for some time... I just haven't actually done that yet.

I figured out the running problem, pinched the condenser wire with pliers and it ran better, changed the condenser and its running alot better.

Thanks for all the comments....

I was thinking about plating and driving this truck this Monday but I ran into some problems keeping it running right. I still don't know what the problem is. I thought it was the points and it may still be. I bought a couple new sets, install them and it runs perfect, smooth, revs fast for about 30 seconds. Then it seems like someone fills the cap with water, but nothing foreign is there. Instead of finishing the lights, I've been stuck trying to figure this running problem out.

As for the neons or led's under the dash, I've been seriously thinking about doing that for some time... I just haven't actually done that yet.

Well sounds like ya got it all figured out.... Now to upgrade to EI and be done with points totally. I had points and my truck ran ok, but with the EI it starts easier (not perfect due to no choke but better) and when she runs right she purrs.

I drove it down the road a few times ran great, shut it off, went to gas station for some gas in my can, came back truck runs like shit again. I'm puzzled.... taking a break for a min then back at it again.

Well sounds like ya got it all figured out.... Now to upgrade to EI and be done with points totally. I had points and my truck ran ok, but with the EI it starts easier (not perfect due to no choke but better) and when she runs right she purrs.

Another 2 hrs of messing with this truck, I might have solved the running problem... First it was a condenser, then it was the carb. I took the top off the carb, cleaned it some, but it didn't look dirty, but it back together, then it run fine. I drove it around the block (in the country, about 5 miles) and it ran fine when I pulled in the drive way. I won't get back to working on the truck until sunday, so hopefully it will continue to run right so I can finish the lights.

I drove it down the road a few times ran great, shut it off, went to gas station for some gas in my can, came back truck runs like shit again. I'm puzzled.... taking a break for a min then back at it again.

Well atm it don't have a fuel filter, so maybe I got something in the carb. The tank was clean but the line has been unhooked for about 10 years. The tank came from my 74 620 which I recently drove. Putting a fuel cell in the 74 now.

Sounds like a partially clogged fuel filter. It could be a real cheap, easy fix!

Had a rainy, windy day today, which made it hard to get anything done. We even had tornado warnings. I got all the brake lights and signal lights working. Changed out the steering wheel, turn signal switch, repaired the corroded tail lights, and installed instrument cluster. The wind was so powerful that I had to bungy the hood down on the prop rod so it wouldn't blow off. I should be driving this truck very soon, maybe this week. I just have to figure out where my brake fluid is going, it seems to disappear if I let the truck sit. I also have to install the shifter plate, rear side markers, license plate light, drivers door panel, change the oil pressure switch, install air cleaner, free up the wiper transmission, and install a radio. After I do that, then I can drive it daily and work out any kinks on the way. I work 5 miles from my place, I feel that it will at least drive that without any problems. I may take it on a trip to Lebanon Misouri (10 hr drive) in late January if everything stays dependable. It will be nice to drive a Datsun daily again.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I know this is and old post but as soon as this snow leaves for good, I have more plans for this truck.

I never did figure out the fuel problem I was having. I could be going down the road then the truck would just stop and run out of gas. I found no clogs or anything anywhere in the tank, lines, or carb. The best I could come up with was the rubber lines may have been collapsing or something. When I forced air from up front to the gas tank, it would get gas for about another week of driving. i had to keep doing this almost every week.

Another issue I was having with this truck was that the motor seemed real tired. In the other truck it ran good, had plenty of power. Its a complete turd in this truck. I went as far as upping the jet size in the carburetor which helped but not much. Now I was using a ton of gas, probably getting 14-15 mpg when I used to get close to 30mph in the other truck. I've decided to put one of my L20b's in it as soon as weather gets better.

• 1 month later...