Wagon Wheels

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

no wheels out of JP are ever going to be cheap.

even if you get the wheels at a good price you still have to ship them half way around the world

how much do you think a set would a set cost ,including shipping? I'm working again now,and i'll save up for the right wheels while I search for them. (after I pay off my l20 and etc. ,that is! ) I don't plan on selling this car,or getting into a car payment,but I wouldn't feel bad at all spending about the same amount as a car payment on parts etc. every month to have my Goon end up reliable, fast, handle good, and look good (old school, with it's own unique touches).

Guest kamakazi620

how much do you think a set would a set cost ,including shipping? I'm working again now,and i'll save up for the right wheels while I search for them. (after I pay off my l20 and etc. ,that is! ) I don't plan on selling this car,or getting into a car payment,but I wouldn't feel bad at all spending about the same amount as a car payment on parts etc. every month to have my Goon end up reliable, fast, handle good, and look good (old school, with it's own unique touches).

Shit Mang YOU OWE more on parts than yer car is Worth!!!

Shit Mang YOU OWE more on parts than yer car is Worth!!!

i think my car is worth more than $300! it's DRIVEABLE! it gets me to work & back every day,and for the most part is reliable. i've owned cars that i was into for ALOT more money total than i'm into my Goon for,that i couldn't rely on as much! I probably haven't spent much more than $1000 on it,INCLUDING what i paid for it when i bought it.

Is there an actual build thread for this car? It's beautiful.

Thanks! No, I don't have an actual build thread but I have been working on gathering up everything and making one. I've got stuff all over ratsun but I want to put it all in one place. I'll give myself a deadline, that always works. Maybe by this weekend :D

Air-Shipping was about $350 to ship a pair of 16x9 wheels from Japan .... that's only 2 wheels ... so probably double that for 4 wheels,, even if they are only 14x7s

Your best bet is to find someone who gets container shipments......... and wait 6 months for them

For $700 to air ship 4 wheels, you're better off buying a plane ticket to Japan and finding wheels yourself...then bring them back as checked in luggage. 3 wheels fit in a box that's within dimensions and weight limit for most international flights. Stick the other in your suitcase and pack your other crap around it. Even if you have to pay to check in a 3rd box it would only be around $75-100 and you could probably bring another set of wheels home.

If you don't go crazy with the width and offset (say 14x6.5 +5ish, really common and cheap sizes) you can bring home a nice set of old school JDM wheels for around $300. They will probably need some mild restoration but that shouldn't be a problem for you Ratsuners. I've done it, and doing it again in a few days, if you're traveling with your better half, you can bring even more JDM goodies back home ;)

If you want to roll the hippari tires and run 8/9/10J+ with negative offsets you're going to pay up...but if you look around and are willing to put in a little work (even getting them professionally refinished back home) you can come up pretty good on some nice, deep JDM wheels.

For $700 to air ship 4 wheels, you're better off buying a plane ticket to Japan and finding wheels yourself...then bring them back as checked in luggage. 3 wheels fit in a box that's within dimensions and weight limit for most international flights. Stick the other in your suitcase and pack your other crap around it. Even if you have to pay to check in a 3rd box it would only be around $75-100 and you could probably bring another set of wheels home.

If you don't go crazy with the width and offset (say 14x6.5 +5ish, really common and cheap sizes) you can bring home a nice set of old school JDM wheels for around $300. They will probably need some mild restoration but that shouldn't be a problem for you Ratsuners. I've done it, and doing it again in a few days, if you're traveling with your better half, you can bring even more JDM goodies back home ;)

If you want to roll the hippari tires and run 8/9/10J+ with negative offsets you're going to pay up...but if you look around and are willing to put in a little work (even getting them professionally refinished back home) you can come up pretty good on some nice, deep JDM wheels.

thank you so much for the info/advice on the JDM wheels subject! I really want my Goon to have it's own unique look. I really like the wheels some other people are using! their cars look great! I don't want to feel like I'm copying them though. it would be worth the wait,& money to have a different set of wheels than most other people have. do you have any advice on how to find wheels,(& other parts) over there,for anyone that might be considering this?

I guess I have it a bit easier since I have friends and family in Japan. The way I usually do it is to find my wheels/parts through Japan auctions (like Yahoo) and win the auction, then have it sent to a friend or family member. Note that you need a Japanese bank account to use most Japan auctions. When I visit Japan, I bring it back. JDM parts, wheelsets, track bike frames, etc, I've brought it back as checked luggage.

So if you really want to get into it, I guess start making some friends who are in Japan. :D Or you can use a proxy bid service to help bid on Japanese auctions, but I've never used them so I don't know how they work.

What is your idea of a different wheel? One thing I like about the SSR Star Formulas on my wagon is you don't see them often. I want to find a pair of them in 7.5/8J for the rear of my wagon. The pair of SSR Mk2's I just got are dime a dozen, but that also means they are more affordable here in Japan, even in 14x8j with negative offset.

I'm actually going wheel/JDM parts shopping tomorrow here: :)

swap meet

well, besides the Techno's I like the ssr star formulas you mentioned ( I think the Equip Work 03 wheels are nearly the same ) if the centers were painted gold. the problem I would have with either the SSR's star formulas or the work 03's is that there are already at least 2 other 510's on Ratsun,& at the same datsun events i attend,with those wheels,& with nearly the same car color as mine. I think their cars look great! I just feel like I'd be "copying " them if I went with those wheels. I was thinking about a mesh wheel,with gold centers like Enkie 92"s or something until i saw the Techno's on BID-JDM (Yahoo Japan,Translated in real time so we can bid). I also like SSR star shark's, and SSR tomcats. I saw all these wheels on Japanese Nostalgic Cars website. I just think the gold center wheels,on a green car like mine look good! I want something old school,period correct, with gold centers & a polished lip that will fit over the Z car brakes and not rub, and not too common on 510's in my area. I'm not looking to put on any modern looking wheels. They're nice on other peoples cars, just not the look I'm going for. again, thanks for your advice Jun ,and others on this subject!

Yeah,I'm sorry too greengoon! I didn't realize I was kinda taking your thread off on a tangent,or that anyone would think it was my thread either for that matter. I think your intent was to give those of us who have Goons some examples,Ideas & advice on wheels,& suspension for our Goons. My intent was to say how great yours looks!, & fish for advice about which wheels I could use on my car,while not totally copying yours,or anyone else's car. the JDM wheel thing, for me, started out of a desire to have an old school look, have the wheels fit right, (both of which your car has NAILED!! ), and not have my car look like a copy of anyone else's. I'm not into the whole JDM thing as a fad. just as a possible way to make my car look good,function Great, and hopefully not be a CARBON COPY of anyone else's! there are so many great looking cars on here,Goons & otherwise! wheels seem like the easiest way to give a car it's own look,& even then it seems everything has been done before.