Metal dash?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

old dattos run 18guage for the floors and body i think, that should be strong enough to use as a dash yet flexible enough to contour it how you want.

Pretty sure they aren't 18ga. 18ga is pretty thick sheet metal...I think most body panels are 20 or 22 gauge.

What gauge/thickness metal should I use to make a dash? I don't want a flimsy dash, but I also don't want metal too thick to work with.

Never done anything like this before, so I'm in-experianced with this.

Right On !

All Aluminum ? Steel ? or Both ? :D

I just got back from picking up a custom cut piece of 18 gauge aluminum cut to my dimensions from a metal place that my brother used to work for.

Place is fucking sweet. cool.gif

Got a little bit extra also to extend my air dam out.

Pics in a bit!

• 3 weeks later...

i made my own out of 18 gauge steel plate, cheap and easy, you dont have to chop the dash that much, just the tabs on the top and then rolled on some flat black paint. i think it only cost me about $4 and some time on the mill and grinder. :thumbup: Still gotta paint the dash frame tho and tuck those wires lol

aDSC_2272.jpg

Nice job man! Wish mine looked that good.

What kind of speedo did you use and how much did it cost?? I've been looking for one for sometime now.

thanks, its an autometer speedo, i had that one laying around, but since i did the ca18 swap i need the electrical gauge for the speed sensor which is about $200. so the mechanical one is just sitting in there haha but here is a link to the 120mph mechanical one i have -- http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ATM-5892/