Help me Please

Well I put in a 5 speed on my L18 motor on my 1979 620.... In a rush to get to canby I put my old clutch in with a new throw out bearing I also used the fork from the 4 speed and the 5 speed was not the correct one for my truck it was a 200 sx but the later model with nap Z motor.... Well I am telling you all of this because the new throwout bearing just went out :o it squeeled for a few days and now im driving without much clutch. I dont know what the problem is... does anything I did saound like it could corrupt my throwout bearing? My 620 is my daily so Im kinda stressing on this hole situation and i need my truck running asap..... I have a L16 with 4 speed that was just pulled from a running truck like 2 days ago and I kinda think I should just swap that in.... its from a 73 620 and I have a 79 620 is there any problems I should expect? are the drivelines the same length.... will the crossmember for tranny be different? motor mounts different? Help me :(

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you pack the bearing with wheel grease first? If not it will be toast by now, may even seize and burn out the clutch fingers. They will appear bluish and worn. (hopefully not)

I'm assuming you have the later 4 speed that was stock on the L18 motor?

The L16 4 speed is shorter than your '79 but the difference can be countered by swapping the front L16 drive shaft too. L16s should fit anywhere the L18 fit. The shifter hole may need to be moved forward slightly BUT WHY?

Stick with the tranny on there and avoid all this.

Did you pack the bearing with wheel grease first? If not it will be toast by now, may even seize and burn out the clutch fingers. They will appear bluish and worn. (hopefully not)

I'm assuming you have the later 4 speed that was stock on the L18 motor?

The L16 4 speed is shorter than your '79 but the difference can be countered by swapping the front L16 drive shaft too. L16s should fit anywhere the L18 fit. The shifter hole may need to be moved forward slightly BUT WHY?

Stick with the tranny on there and avoid all this.

Stick with the 5 speed and L18?

Stick with the 5 speed and L18?

Well yeah. The only thing in question is the release bearing and maybe the pressure plate. Why re invent the wheel here? The 5 spd works? The L18 works? The drive shaft works? Then change what isn't.

intial culprit is the size of the T/O bearing and the collar. and maybe flywheel size

stock 79 620 had a 225mm clutches and the T/O bearing/collar.

Most L18s came in cars had 200mm setups EXECPT I believe on 1 year L18 620s had a 5 bolt 225mm setup.

so really you need to tell us what clutch size/flyweel surface size you have in there.

so ASSUMMING you have a L18 it came with a flywheel that most likely is a 200mm set up. So order a say 73 620 T/O bearing and sleeve. or where this L18 come from get the T/O bearing/sleeve from that trans.

PS Im not truck expert this is just my best guess.

As I say if this truck had a L20 and then you just installed a L16/18 with a clutch already on the flywheel then the T/O bearing/sleeve was left on the trans(truck) then its wrong.

Datzenmike has phtos of mutilple T/O bearings and sleeves

also look at your adjustment at the slave cylinder. if the fortk arm is tight or not or maybe pull the slave out and see if the fork arms goes more fwd

sometimes you could get a wrong T/O bearing in the box from part store.

NEVER RUSH!!!!!!!!!!!!IT NEVER PAYS.

intial culprit is the size of the T/O bearing and the collar. and maybe flywheel size

stock 79 620 had a 225mm clutches and the T/O bearing/collar.

Most L18s came in cars had 200mm setups EXECPT I believe on 1 year L18 620s had a 5 bolt 225mm setup.

so really you need to tell us what clutch size/flyweel surface size you have in there.

so ASSUMMING you have a L18 it came with a flywheel that most likely is a 200mm set up. So order a say 73 620 T/O bearing and sleeve. or where this L18 come from get the T/O bearing/sleeve from that trans.

PS Im not truck expert this is just my best guess.

As I say if this truck had a L20 and then you just installed a L16/18 with a clutch already on the flywheel then the T/O bearing/sleeve was left on the trans(truck) then its wrong.

Datzenmike has phtos of mutilple T/O bearings and sleeves

also look at your adjustment at the slave cylinder. if the fortk arm is tight or not or maybe pull the slave out and see if the fork arms goes more fwd

sometimes you could get a wrong T/O bearing in the box from part store.

NEVER RUSH!!!!!!!!!!!!IT NEVER PAYS.

its the smaller fly wheel

The transmission shouldn't matter what it came from.

Parts that have to match:

1) Flywheel - Clutch Plate - Pressure plate - Throwout bearing & Collar

These are all a set. You cannot mix any of these unless the "mix" happens to be an exact match.

The throwout fork has to match both the transmission AND the throwout collar. Generally, there's only one fork per trans type, with the exception being the 4-speed that came with either threaded or socket type pushrod seats (but the fork is identical otherwise). Anything after 1974 or so will use the socket type, though I don't know about 610s/710s.

So here is the rub- you're using a 200mm clutch/flywheel with a transmission that was never used with a 200mm clutch- all 71B transmissions were used with 225mm or 240mm clutches. So there isn't a fork that matches the collar you have AND the transmission you have. The original fork that came with the trans SHOULD have worked.

What I think you messed up on was which throwout collar/bearing you used. Since you have a L18 w) a 200mm clutch you CANNOT use the throwout bearing/collar for a '79 620. You need one for whatever the engine came from- closest match, 1973 610, though probably the throwout collar/bearing for a '78 510 if the engine is a JDM pullout.

I was able to jumble up enough parts to make this L18/71B 5-speed mess work: used a '68-73 510 clutch & Pressure Plate (which I got lightly used from Hainz), a '73 620 throwout bearing and collar, a '76 620 4-speed fork, and used the '76 620 slave cyl.

Not sure what the clutch setup is from, but as a rule of thumb the clutch must match the make/model/year of the transmission.

Have to agree with Doug on this. Clutch size is determined solely by the flywheel it bolts too. There are 200mm, 225mm and 240mm flywheels and the pressure plates will not interchange between them, period. Of the three different sizes there are three different housings that support the release bearing and they cannot be interchanged either. The clutch does not care nor is it influenced by what transmission is behind it. I can think of 4 different 5 speeds that will bolt behind any L series motor and work, though you wouldn't want to. As long a the clutch arm/and release bearing fit and work the pressure plate used it will run.

• 2 weeks later...

Measure the front half of the two piece drive shaft from the early L16 truck. Now compare to the front half of your '79 620 drive shaft. The early one should be about 6" longer or about the difference in length of the two transmissions.

Measure the front half of the two piece drive shaft from the early L16 truck. Now compare to the front half of your '79 620 drive shaft. The early one should be about 6" longer or about the difference in length of the two transmissions.

ya thats what i figured... but i want to make sure there will be nothing else needed.... engine mounts should be the same right? what about crossmember?

your not going to be happy with a powerless L16 in there...id go l18 and just swap out flywheel and cluth kit

ya but im broke and have no money for a new clutch kit.... and i want to slowly build my L18 anyways.