Datsun 520/1300

So I just bought Datsun 520/1300 1968 last weekend. In very good condition witch doesn’t have much rust. At the moment I have a j13 engine in it that runs fine its a manual Colum shift and I was planning to do a engine swap, but I am not too sure on what engine to put in. What engines would fit in with the least modifications?

p1010039w.jpgp1010038l.jpg

Does anyone know what the button does under the pedals
p1010041q.jpgp1010043c.jpgp1010067l.jpg
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I may expand on Mike's point a bit, there are no (or very few) direct bolt-ins for the J-13 with the exception (possibly) of some MGB b-type engines (on which the J is based on) and the larger J16/18 engines, which are very rare and hard to find and I'm sure either options would require some custom fabrication, one way or another.

That said, if you're looking to hop up performance a bit (this will only help marginally), you could source an MGB side draft manifold, a single 40mm DCOE setup and possibly some MGB headers (I'm not 100% sure about this one...), but I'm guessing you'd be looking at 75-80 hp tops (up from 67 stock) and you'll probably be in for at least $500 on that one.

You could also rebuild your head (probably better to do the bottom end at the same time, but that's my $.02) with a reground cam I would think, though I've not heard much about it. If you want to go a step further, I believe you can actually fit an entire MGB-b head onto the J block (some have even fitted BMW DOHC motorcycle heads to the MGB-b block, so I'm sure the J is possible?), but you're probably looking at more money, time and effort than you'd want for that route. And again, I'd expect you'd be looking at a max of 100hp or so (which for a 1.3L is actually really good).

Another option is to get some custom engine/trans mounts made and drop an L series Datsun motor in. You can find them pretty cheap and they're relatively solid. Beyond that... get creative. Guys have swapped small block Chevy's, SR20DET's, KA24's... Hell, I have an extra BMW M10 longblock with trans from a 2002 sitting around that may very well find its way into my 520 (I have other 2002's and I'm attracted to the idea of only having to deal with the intricacies of 1 engine... and those things are bulletproof).

Anyway, I'd inclined to agree with Mike for now though... enjoy your truck, keep it on the road and when you're absolutely ready for a swap, do it. The advice I was given when I bought my truck still holds true: Many good vehicles have been taken off the road for a swap and subsequently abandoned and sold because the owner got frustrated and didn't want to deal with it anymore. It's generally better to be on the receiving end of those transactions, as selling half-finished projects always come with a financial loss.

That's my $.02. Whatever you decide, enjoy your truck!

I also have a '68, and was wondering about an A15 someday in the far off future. Anyone have any thoughts on that? I think everything is on the correct side (dist. manifolds and carb.) Small enough too for the tiny engine compartment.

In my humble opinion, work on bigger brakes before a nice ka or sr engine. It is really fun to go super fast, but if you can't stop, you are doomed! The faster you go, the easier it is to crash... The J-13 should be just fine until the brakes and suspension is good to go.

So I just bought Datsun 520/1300 1968 last weekend. In very good condition witch doesn’t have much rust. At the moment I have a j13 engine in it that runs fine its a manual Colum shift and I was planning to do a engine swap, but I am not too sure on what engine to put in. What engines would fit in with the least modifications?

Did u say "column shift"? I did not know such thing existed in Datsun world. I dont beleive u. Pictures to prove it :huh:

Did u say "column shift"? I did not know such thing existed in Datsun world. I dont beleive u. Pictures to prove it :huh:

Actually there is a 520 in Australia on Ebay at the moment with a pic of the old column shift! Only $280 too, if only I had somewhere to put it.....

I also have a '68, and was wondering about an A15 someday in the far off future. Anyone have any thoughts on that? I think everything is on the correct side (dist. manifolds and carb.) Small enough too for the tiny engine compartment.

First time I've posted here at ratsun, boxboy is correct, A14 or a15 will fit with down draft or dual su's, if it fits in a 320(done it), it will fit in the 520. I also seen one for sale(520) with the buick V6. The 437's are also a good idea for a driver, but not a workhorse. Aren't datsuns/nissans great, there so interchangable, you can put a 1985 truck transmission in a late 67 roadster with parts that nissan made, but were never actually put together by nissan.

• 2 weeks later...

The pics show the column shift :) I have a 4spd column shift in my NL320. I run the 1200(E1) on the highway with 3.89 gears in the diff and pass people all the time. It's not fast off the line, but I completely fill the bed up with wood and haul it up and down some nice hill here in Oregon.....so it will still do the work when needed....but I wouldn't want to do it everyday.

The floor switch is your headlight dimmer. The early rigs didn't get one on the blinker. Usually, the blinker is all chrome...which yours is not, so I could be wrong on this.

looks cool man :D where in melb? area looks kinda familiar from the pics?

for the effort of converting its probs best to stick with what you have until you're ready for some welding. if you want to stay lowtech id go L series over A series, if you need work on engine mounts that is

looks cool man :D where in melb? area looks kinda familiar from the pics?

for the effort of converting its probs best to stick with what you have until you're ready for some welding. if you want to stay lowtech id go L series over A series, if you need work on engine mounts that is

western suburbs, werribee what about you

Does anyone know how to remove the idler arm as I want to take off the cabin off the chassis to make it easy to sand and spray? I have every bolt taken off to remove the cabin but the idler arm is connected to the steering shaft and that is stoping me from removing the cabin any help would be appreciated thanks.

On my 66 520 to get the cab off I removed the bed first, the steering wheel turn signal switch & cover, unbolted the 2 bolts that hold the column under the dash, removed the steering box from the frame. Destroyed 2 pitman arm pullers trying to remove pitman arm. lifted tha cab off with straps & engine hoist, carefully guiding it off the steering column. It took a 30 ton press to remove my pitman arm.

Check my build thread for info on the custom column mod my brother did to my column. it now has a rag joint. :D

On my 66 520 to get the cab off I removed the bed first, the steering wheel turn signal switch & cover, unbolted the 2 bolts that hold the column under the dash, removed the steering box from the frame. Destroyed 2 pitman arm pullers trying to remove pitman arm. lifted tha cab off with straps & engine hoist, carefully guiding it off the steering column. It took a 30 ton press to remove my pitman arm.

Check my build thread for info on the custom column mod my brother did to my column. it now has a rag joint. :D

Thanks so much I will attempt it today and see how it goes.

Aren't datsuns/nissans great, there so interchangable, you can put a 1985 truck transmission in a late 67 roadster with parts that nissan made, but were never actually put together by nissan.

Actually any '81-'86 SD22/SD25 diesel 5speed tranny can be made to fit the roadster U20 motor using a mish mash of differnt clutch arms, slaves and release bearing housings. I only heard about this this year. A member on here is going to attempt this soon I hope.

• 3 weeks later...

Great news just found out that the engine is a J15 not a J13 the previous owner must of done an engine swap. And just bought another Datsun 520 1966 for parts, I got the doors, hood, panels and the back off the cabin all sprayed in rust proof primer and ill upload photo of them this weekend.

p1010087x.jpg

p1010092m.jpgp1010089rs.jpg

p1010098i.jpg