Cutting Time

Tomorrow we're supposed to start prepping my truck for "the cut". We're going to drill all the spot welds and cut off the current front clip/support and weld on a new one. There's much more to it than that, that's just the basic idea. But, I'm only 17 with the help of my dad and a few teenage friends. What are some things I should watch out for or make sure I do? I'm going to need all the help I can get, and I'll keep it updated with pictures.

And, a picture :)

e159na.jpg

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. The engine is coming out, there's no doubt about that. There's way I'd be able to find another Z24 around here in working condition. It'll be done in some extra space at an exhaust shop with access to plenty of tools conveniently placed right next door to a parts store, and my cousin will be helping who just got done doing the same thing with a wrecked S13.

Personally, I like it better without the front end wink.gif It's been the source of many jokes, and I've met quite a few people from it. Also, I don't think I've seen a car worse off than my truck on the road yet. Sure, I've seen a missing grille, bumper, etc., but noone missing EVERYTHING laugh.gif But, the law doesn't appreciate it as much as I do, so I have to fix it one of these days.

I would look real close to see if the cab is not tweeked. If it were me i would change the cab and front clip all in one piece. That is how i did a yota that i had. To me would be easier than drilling out a bunch of spots and welding them back to remove and put on the front clip. I also made sure i had a complete doner truck sitting side by side for all the parts. I know for my 81 720 the part below the grill, grill, blinkers and more were different than on my 84 720. Not sure what you are getting parts from but you will find lots more than i did that will not be a straight swap unles it is the same year. I even had to move the head lights on the core support but the holes for mounting were there luckly. Good luck.

Thanks for the tips, I greatly appreciate it. One problem though - I've only found three 720's in all the junkyards I've been to around here. The one I'm getting my parts from is an '85, same as mine, but the cab is rusted out. My truck is rust free, so I really don't want to deal with that crap.

Also, just a little update - I haven't been able to get any of the parts yet. It's been raining like a bitch here with no signs of slowing sorry. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say that on here, but that's only word good enough to describe it.

Oh Shit, he said Bitch! The Fuck is really gonna Ass the Cunt now! ;)

Damn, I'm such a silly little cum guzzling thunder-cunt. How dare I say bitch?!

And update, it's still raining like a bitch.

Well, it's supposed to clear up tomorrow. Or in other words, instead of raining like a bitch, it's just going to be hot as a bitch. I'm not sure what you guys experience, but it's supposed to be 92 down here tomorrow (before heat index/humidity). Instead of going to get my front end, I'm just going to help a buddy with his 240 then give my truck a nice little tune up.

I did that a few years back.

2 85 STs.......one had a good cab/rotted clip and rad support. The other had a rotted cab.......good clip.

Thought I had some better pics on the process....

P1090013-1.jpg

P1090015-1.jpg

Guess not.....

Anywho......obviously square it back up to the cab before welding it back in place. I was about 1/16 out....pretty good

Slathered all the seams with urethane (caulk) after the fact

The end product.

P2240003.jpg

Don't set the drill to stay on when drilling if it has a lock button on the trigger. The bit will stick, the drill will start to spin, wrapping your arm in the cord and twisting it until something gives, be it your arm, the drill, or what the bit is stuck on.

2eDeYe' date='22 June 2010 - 04:35 PM' timestamp='1277249738' post='317586']

Looks really good. Nice straight body lines.

Not to sure about the ricer wing though :lol:

Which 'wing'....at the back.........? :blink:

Hmmmmmmmm.....just got a hankering for Chinese tonight. ^_^

Try to drill all the welds out in the center of the 'spot'. Believe you will need a bit around 3/8/-7/16" ? to 'remove' the weld. I think all the factory spot welds are somewhat identical..?..relative to placement on the clip/cab. Makes a good reference point when reattaching. Also....once the 'new' clip is dropped back onto the front frame/cab mounts....there is limited movement. Sooooo.....I don't think it will take much at all.....to get it square to the cab. Think we just had to raise the front of the clip up to weld......then dropped it back down to finish.

2eDeYe' date='23 June 2010 - 08:02 AM' timestamp='1277305333' post='317820']

Still not sure what you got going on back there :lol:

Well....let me explain then...... :D

I usually pack my dogs with me.....where ever I go.

Years ago....I use to have my 3 dogs tied up in the back of the truck.....non condusive :huh:

Have to stop every few miles and unravel them...... :)

After one of the pups knocked the mother overboard (tied up), I decided to build something to easily contain them.

Just about killed my dog (Sealik) that day...... :( If it wasn't for the people in the vehicle in front of me pointing and freaking out......I would of probably dragged her for another 12 kms. I was taking them all to the river that day.

Anywho....it is rather practical if not esthetically pleasing to some people..... :P

Although....I've had many people compliment me on it.......most likely somewhat baffled at first I think....

I've packed 24 ft 2x12 on it.....should of seen the looks I got that day..... :thumbup:

The top assembly can be removed in about 5 minutes if I have to pack anything......'oversized'.

And yes.....those metal pieces of trim around the glass are from the elements that I permanently borrowed from my stove....

Worked rather well....

P1310002.jpg

P1310007-1.jpg

I've since dropped the 'lid' assembly....down to cab height....a little more streamlined.... ;)

P1310004.jpg