Not my 77 620 KC any more!!

ok, its blue, looks to have been a farm truck for the last 4 or 5 years now has around 195k L20B motor on a 4 speed, king cab, a bit of surface rust but no rust thru according to the owner. Truck is located about 2 hours away and he is asking $500. He seems to be interested in a Colt 45cal Tactical Commander that I got so I plan on rolling out there this weekend for a look.

So here is a question for those of you that got 620's, where and what do I need to focus on before I get this truck? the body is said to be pretty straight but when I take it for a test drive, any warning signs I need to keep an eye and ear out for? I know that all drum brakes will require adjustment to make them right. I will more than likely get it anyway and if it doesnt suit me you guys will get first dibbs as usual. looks like the thing had air horns but the horns are missing.

motor.jpg

right.jpg

left.jpg

insidecab.jpg

front.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

look at the floor boards. and depending on the year (77) it might have drums and points. i know my 78 had EI and disks. other than that, i think everything else is self explanatory.

duh... i juwt noticed theres no carpet or floro covering. ......

Guest DatsuNoob

I plan on it, just need an extra hand getting it home. anyone with good license and over 25 wanna come to my house and ride with down there and drive my KC back up?

I can help you Friday, or pretty much any time this weekend. Let's do it! Gimme a call bro

Looks like a '77 so drum brakes and points (unless from Cornyfornia) externally regulated alternator and king pins. The good is that the 5 speed was an option starting that year so it might have it ,and if not, one will literally drop in in place of the 4 speed. U-67 head with square exhaust ports.

my 77 has front disks

Shouldn't, it was a '78 factory addition. Check your build date on the door jam. The '78 model year starts the previous year in August '77. Or do you have Beebani's conversion?

It happens. During the crossover to the next year things slip through.The very late 720s came with TBI identical to the Hardbody system. The '86 FSM does not even cover it. There is, however a rare 70 page supplement. I have a copy..

Kelly, does your '77 also have the EI dizzy, or IR alternator as well?

It happens. During the crossover to the next year things slip through.The very late 720s came with TBI identical to the Hardbody system. The '86 FSM does not even cover it. There is, however a rare 70 page supplement. I have a copy..

Kelly, does your '77 also have the EI dizzy, or IR alternator as well?

um, :blink: im not sure..... i really dont think so, but i havnt really had to do any work to it onther then the carb and the headgasket. :mellow:

get that truck, i have a old school canopy you can have for it and some chrome wheels,they ant great but there free

Floors have rust but no soft spots or rust thru exept a couple pinholes

IMAG0079.jpg

IMAG0081.jpg

IMAG0080.jpg

and the dash cover is fubared, but the rest looks ok and I seem to have the ac center console and factory tac

IMAG0078.jpg

IMAG0082.jpg

IMAG0092.jpg

First on the list is the cleanup and kill the rust, then leaks and gaskets, I dont know if I want to keep and repair the air horns and lights or remove and fill them in. Tho I am tempted to cut the roof and replace it all back to solid.

What say you? :mellow:

Nice. Get a fuel filter on that right away or you'll have sediment in the carb. Looks like a new clutch master on it too.

Im on it, he said the carb was rebuilt about 6 months ago when he replaced the clutch master. She ran great all the way home. The SOB accually takes off faster than my 720! the 720 would whip its ass at the top end tho!

What a BUCKET! I love it :D Lots of cleaning to do. I have a shitload of 620 parts if you need. Got some stock door panels & such. Also got 3 roofs to choose from. Got rims &............ well u get the picture.