Mini-L320

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

depends on alot of things.

1. what is the CR?

2. are you rebuilding the bottom end at all? (and adding stronger parts?)

___2A. if your changing out parts add dished pistons or thicker head gasket to reduce CR.

then refer back to 1.

3. are you doing any head work?

4. do you plan on going EFI or carb?

___4A. size of carb/injectors, fuel pump capacity, ect will all play a factor too.

5. methanol injection?

6. Intercooler?

I'm not sure anyone has actually explored the limits of boost of an A15.

1) Buy a spare engine.

2) Install the turbo setup of your dreams on your primary engine

3) Turn up the boost until the power scares you (as scary as <60WHP can be) or the engine launches the cylinder head through the hood. If the former, you have a nice spare ready to go. If the latter, install the turbo setup on the formerly spare engine, and don't turn the boost up that high.

I'm sure there's a nice mathematical formula for figuring this out in a non-destructive manner, but without knowing the particulars of this turbo'ed A15, like combustion chamber sizes (in cc's), piston dish sizes, static compression, turbo size, and the rest of the stuff Skib said too that is an unanswerable question. For a stock A15, the answer is, "not much".

Stock hypereutectic pistons will handle about 7 PSI with extremely short bursts to 9-10. Hyperutectic pistons are the equivalent of glass and are extremely brittle. Detonation, and you will have some detonation will hammer the shit out of them. If going above this get low silicone forged aluminum ones.

I can careless if I blow the damn thing.

Read all 7 posts. Your question was answered. You obviously don't care about your rotary motors or looking after them so boost away and blow the fucker up. Be sure to get a vid of it and post on U Tube. Wow.

• Like 1

I too have thought about doing a (Small) turbo on a stock A engine. Was thinkin about runnin no more than 7-8lb on a stock one! From the power difference I have got from the mods that I have done, I would think that would be enough to notice! But if you spend some money on some pistons and lower the CR and Studded the block to hold the head on you should be able to go quite a bit bigger, and cool it if you can! The engines are easy to come across (around here) so blowing it shouldnt be too expensive!

I wanna do a draw-thru turbo on an A, someday :cool:

But yea bla bla bla dont do it bla your an idiot, bla bla Im scared bla bla :lol:

I guess I just said something in a totally different way that i didnt want it sound as.

But I Have a Suck Thru Setup that I might use. The only thing thats got me thinkin is how will I make the Turbo Manifold.

Im just gonna start at like 4 psi and go to 8 psi and see what happens.

right now the only thing I do have done is just a Ported out A14 head and ARP head studs.

I guess I just said something in a totally different way that i didnt want it sound as.

But I Have a Suck Thru Setup that I might use. The only thing thats got me thinkin is how will I make the Turbo Manifold.

Im just gonna start at like 4 psi and go to 8 psi and see what happens.

right now the only thing I do have done is just a Ported out A14 head and ARP head studs.

Sounds like a good start! Maby get the pistons shaved if you can and ceramic coated? Not sure of any other cheap ways to lower the CR.

Make your own intake mani! Get some big tubing and some flat plate cut out and drill a flange. If you dont have the technology, you can prep it all up and take it to a fab shop and they will weld it up! Make sure to take a head with you and all the hardware to bolt it up so they can weld it straight!

Cant wait to hear more, I may have to do it aswell!

Since both My rotary motors are Shot im just gonna Boost my A15. Whats the max Psi I can run on it?

I've seen videos on youtube with Turbo A15 motor but dont say how much boost they got on them.

Well here's some small info on making your own turbo set up.

Jason Gray turbo It's for an L16 but a turbo is a turbo, right?

fabricating a turbo manifold

thanks for the info you guys.

I'll see if I have some spare time to get a picture of that Suck thru Setup that I have. Right now its mounted on an L18 but I dont have a tranny for it. Didnt the 510's come 4 speed? cause this L18 has a 5 speed tranny installed.

thanks for the info you guys.

I'll see if I have some spare time to get a picture of that Suck thru Setup that I have. Right now its mounted on an L18 but I dont have a tranny for it. Didnt the 510's come 4 speed? cause this L18 has a 5 speed tranny installed.

Believe it or not the 510 did come with a 4 speed but I can think of at least 5 different five speeds that will bolt up the the stock 510s L16 motor. (some you wouldn't want to but you could) The fact that you have an L18 indicates that the motor was swapped. No L18 ever had a 5 speed installed. A car this many decades old is bound to have been modified or had parts swapped to keep it on the road.

I'll see if I can get a number out of the tranny maybe someone here can verify it and let me know what Tranny it came out off. Cause If I can get a good tranny for the L18 then I might just bolt it up to my 210 and have a Turbo L18 Suck Threw Setup. That should be cool until I can get a rebuild kit and Fix up my 12A rotary back up.