71 fivetwentyone ( 521 ) 4x4 build

typicalsteeringcircuit.jpg

this is the basic idea of setting up a steering system. i used a double ended ram instead of a single as in the picture.

when deciding how your going to set up full hydro you need to first get your ram, to make it as easy as possibly find out what it came out of and then see what orbital was used with it. orbitals are rated in cubic inches. you can play with it to get the steering from lock to lock that you would like. commonly 4 turns lock to lock is standard automotive steering. for my ram that turned out to be 5.2 cubic inches.

the only real issue i had was trying to figure out how to adapt the stock toyota pump to to the -6 hydraulic lines i was running. everyone else i asked just welded the stock toyota fitting to the -6 fitting... i just felt that was crude and dangerous. 1600 psi of anything can kill you.... so i had one made and to my suprise its super cheap and easy, so i have no idea why no one else has done it. you just use a -6 fitting, a short piece of hydraulic -6 hard line the toyota fitting and they make a little tiny sleeve that turns the inner diameter of the toyota fitting to a standard -6 size. then you just flare the ends and your done.

2013-02-25_17-37-47_423.jpg

after that everything else was figureing out where to mount it. and how. i did full hydro with leaf springs, so i had tons and tons of stuff in my way. as you can see from the picture i built a tube frame and drilled out a plate to fit the ram mounting holes. i braced it, however no quite enough. if i was to do it again i would do it differently. especially now that i have a tubing bender. this is what my buddy and i built over the weekend.

codysaxle.jpg

i was looking at this while we were building it and was just amazed at the difference a tube bender makes, probably one of my favorite purchases. its weird when you can make something look professional. but with a little creative touch. needless to say when i link my truck i will be making an axle pretty close to this, a, because i just built one, and b, its as soild as you pretty much can get.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

mounting the orbital, fitting it to the steering colum and testing it.

well lets start off with testing your system, i did it first and i was glad i did, haha.

brokenorbital.jpg

my first orbital leaked like crazy. however i did get to test it an realized i need a 5.2 cubic inch and not a 4.5 ci which had 5.5 turns lock to lock.

either way i got a new orbital and then ordered a new seal kit and repaird the old one. i also got my hands on a 11.4 ci if i ever want 1 turn lock to lock. haha

0926122033.jpg

if you look at the bottom you can see that the 11.3 has a thicker ring, you can use this as a realitive guage for guesing about the size of the orbital.

anyway, i used the orbital mounting plates that bold around the colum and then welded them to a quater inch plate and the to my frame. then you can unbolt the orbital and remove it. as far as actualy mounting the colum to the orbital, i got a short spline drive one with the orbital, anywhere that sells orbitals sells usually has the sort colums also.

then i welded it to my toyota colum, i had to shorten it and modify the crush portion of it so it would still collaps if i crashed to hard. i dont have any oics of that part of the build but if you have any questions you can just ask and ill be more than willing to help.

anyway, on to the cage.

I started with building rock sliders. i built these a year or so ago and have never put them on yet. I simply cut off the rocker panel and straped it to the truck, trying to basicly replace them.

2013-02-14_16-26-57_193.jpg

2013-02-14_16-28-22_488.jpg

after that i drilled to holes in my cab and built two front pillar bars inside the cab and thru the holes in the cab.

2013-02-14_16-27-07_656.jpg

2013-02-14_16-27-18_578.jpg

after that i removed the bed as to create a solid cage, and dove tail it.

2013-02-16_13-09-57_292.jpg

my buddy and i cleaned up the frame and cab then i sealed it with some stuff atom had lying around.

2013-02-17_17-11-36_26.jpg

after that i bent some tube to make my rear pillars and to meet with my front pillars. creating two main hoops.

2013-02-17_17-12-23_808.jpg

and then a few day break till i got my tubing notcher, and upgrades for it. all the upgrades were from swag off road.

however the picture has none of the upgrades on it yet.

2013-02-20_16-05-44_831.jpg

when i got my notcher i was able to make middle bed pillars and suppert bars.

2013-02-21_17-12-52_139.jpg

and then notched some support tubes inside my cab.

2013-02-21_17-13-25_972.jpg

when i got done with basic idea of the roll cage, i decided to get a little creative. building a sweet support for the upper section of my middle part of my cage.

2013-02-23_12-55-24_369.jpg

sticking with the rising sun, true ratsun style. some hate it some love it. i personal love it.

currently i am building the bed, i have sectioned the bed into four pieces the two sides the back and the tailgate. i started off with the drivers side bed rail. i notched it for the middle pillar and other tubes. i used the inner lip of the bed rail and hung it on a supprt tube.

2013-02-24_13-49-41_334.jpg

2013-02-24_16-06-55_329.jpg

2013-02-24_16-07-41_735.jpg

as you can see i dove tailed it enough to actually have to notch it for the frame rail also.

2013-02-24_16-07-26_145.jpg

the last thing i have done is put in a another bar so the back of the bed sits even with the bed rail, i did build the bar at the bottom of the sun to fit exactly on top of the panel.

after that i put in a underneath bed bar to build the actual bed for it, the whole thing will be supported by tube. currently if you look i got them to sit level. which makes me feel at least a little good about my tube work, sense this is the very first cage i have built.

2013-02-24_17-45-43_132.jpg

2013-02-24_17-46-56_984.jpg

more to update when i get more tube. haha.

Good job on the cage. Though I hear you did pretty well rolling one over without the cage. Haha hopefully you will do better next time it rolls. Since that seems to be a common aspect of your wheeling. Care to tell the story of the first rollover and why it happened?

It's on a trailer. Must be a trailer queen.

um yeah because it cant even be street legal anymore...haha

I like how it goes through the cab. Lets see the rest of it! The teaser pic earlier shows more! How are you planning one sealing the holes? Are you going to weld it and then put some seam sealer over it and repaint it?

i have no idea how i am going to seal the cab for now. i will be looking into it when i have finished the bed.

i didnt have a photo of it, i will post one tomorrow. i have a pro tools 105hd with a air over hydro set up. its nice lets me build cool things, even tho i just got it i get to do fun things.

2013-02-22_23-32-58_396.jpg

codysaxle.jpg

something my buddy and i made for his truck, man having the right tools sure lets you build some really amazing things.

I will have a better update tomorrow with photos but I have half

the bed done my side panels are notched and bobbed working

On the tail gate and sub frame when you what you I have done you will agree

That I should have just built a tube buggy. Haha. I have about eighty feet if tube in this thing now.