71 fivetwentyone ( 521 ) 4x4 build

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not normally the kind of build I would follow, but I gotta say......what I love about this build is how you just friggin' did it! So many guys, especially myself, spend all the time planning, making sure it's going to be just right....then never really doing anything. You just jumped out there and did it! Awesome work!! You and your bro, both seem to have that same kind of attitude and "take" on things. Keep it up!! You'll get so much more out of life than most people will ever even hope for!! Kinda sappy, but you both impress me! :)

n00b. If you had your truck geared right it wouldn't even go 40! haha. Bummer. You better fix it so next time I am up in portland I can drive it. Its a good thing I didn't get you that core support. And hey I still have some new fenders for you!

got ya covered there! I have a set of tantrums (8-32LED pods with controller) I will look into the price.

Also, where you get the flair side bed?

looking forward to the pricing haha. and that flair is stock datsun awesomeness. (p.s. spell check approved awesomeness and not datsun??)

Not normally the kind of build I would follow, but I gotta say......what I love about this build is how you just friggin' did it! So many guys, especially myself, spend all the time planning, making sure it's going to be just right....then never really doing anything. You just jumped out there and did it! Awesome work!! You and your bro, both seem to have that same kind of attitude and "take" on things. Keep it up!! You'll get so much more out of life than most people will ever even hope for!! Kinda sappy, but you both impress me! :)

thanks mike, it means alot to have someone say that, that i have heard can do anything! i really dont know what i am doing, this is the first build that i have ever done likt this, i am a terrible picture taker, but i love to build things, which allows me to just figure it out and get it done.

n00b. If you had your truck geared right it wouldn't even go 40! haha. Bummer. You better fix it so next time I am up in portland I can drive it. Its a good thing I didn't get you that core support. And hey I still have some new fenders for you!

first of all, atom, i was in single low 4th gear topped out, in double low i crawl anywhere and everywhere, you know that. but i think i am going o tripple case it and put some 4.7 kits in two of the cases so i dont really move at all, but will crawl up trees and such. and i would really like them fenders, haha my pass fender is totally messed up right now and so is my core support, on the brighter side of things i started bending the fream back today its almost fixed the cab is un twisted but the door doesnt shut, and i fixed the leaky gas hard line today. so progress is coming along with fixing it all up and getting back on the trail. ill probly thro some lights on it and drive on the streets soon so i can get all the kinks out of it. its kind of a bummer when your in the middle of the woods and it stops running and you have to rip the carb apart to see whats up 20 miles from camp......

• 1 month later...

nice build. i'm glad you ended up using a half beet truck to start with too. some people take the nicest rigs and destroy them with thier unfinished projects. :thumbup: to you.

well, i did use one to begin with........ but sense i rolled it, i had to get a new one. haha. so now i built a shop and am preparing to do a cab swap, pics of shop and new 521 posted soon, as well as my rolled truck.

here are some pictures.

guagebefore.jpg

i took the old gauge cluster and made a more useful one.

guageafter.jpg

this one only has four gauges, after market fuel gauge retro fitted into the stock gas tank. works great when adjusted properly..

resetguage.jpg

then we had a little fun with a stock toyota gauge...

halfdoors.jpg

half doors i made.

truckbeforeitrolled.jpg

this is my bobbed 521 with half doors as i was leaving for the trip, which i put rod bearings later that evening, then leaving right after i was done at four in the morning. and they worked great the entire time.

pictures of the rolled truck will be up soon.

• 2 months later...

thanks, i was super bummed i only got two trips out of it before i rolled it tho, haha. skunk has some oics of the progress so far on the cab swap. i will upload them or he will, and the cab swap will hopefully be done soon!

• 2 months later...

i have finally gotten around to getting some stuff done on the truck, i have put the cab on and seats in with brackets instead of block of wood. the brackets were easy just time consuming. 0205111942.jpg all i had was angle....

0209110024a.jpg

after that i installed the dash and hook up the wiring an installed the steering colum.

0209110025a.jpg

0209110025.jpg

then i whiped up some rad brackets, you guessed it from angle. and mounted my rad and fan.

0209110024.jpg

this is for those of you who are wondering why i bought new axles...

0209110023b.jpg

then my shiny new axles came! 500 dollars, and i couldnt install then because when i tore my front axle apart i found a destroyed trinion bearing.....

0209110023.jpg

but i have two new ones in my hands, so tomorrow we will be good to go.

0209110024b.jpg

sneak peak of truck.....

• 2 years later...

Where dd you get that orbital and how did you decide which one to use? Any complications with the swap? How did you decide where to place it? How does it work compared to the steering box? What is involved with the swap? Ie new lines fittings, fluid reservoir upgrades? So maybe others can tackle the same steering upgrade.

• Like 1