groundcontrol coilover?

im in the middle of a 510 wagon build its going to have a l20 and dog leg with 280zx struts my question is whats a good spring rate and length for this combo and also whats a good short shock to use when shortening the zx strut's that fits in the tub right?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i have tanabis 235 lbs they work great i dont like ground control there to soft for me i hadn't in my goon and it use bounce alot. :lol:

What is too soft? Are you saying the Eibach spring rate is lower than rated? Bouncing means your shock isn't damping properly, regardless of what spring rate you're using.

What is too soft? Are you saying the Eibach spring rate is lower than rated? Bouncing means your shock isn't damping properly, regardless of what spring rate you're using.

yes the Eibach spring was to soft for me and it was a 255 lbs spring if i recall. it just didnt feel right for me ,about the struts i have tokico iuminas. so 1 of my friends had some oooooold school tanabi black springs rated at 235 lbs and carrera coil overs witch i had already. and they felt and handle allot better and only thing we change were the springs.

yes the Eibach spring was to soft for me and it was a 255 lbs spring if i recall. it just didnt feel right for me ,about the struts i have tokico iuminas. so 1 of my friends had some oooooold school tanabi black springs rated at 235 lbs and carrera coil overs witch i had already. and they felt and handle allot better and only thing we change were the springs.

Interesting, thanks for clarification

Interesting, thanks for clarification

no problem.but how come it seems like the old school tuff work the best :lol: those tanabi spring and the carerra coil overs are old like 7 years old, but there were new. and it was a good price. i guess they don't make parts like they use too. :angry:

cool thank you guys for the info does someone know if all

the vw rabbit scirocco shocks are the same diameter? cuz my

brother has sum vw rabbit shocks in his 280zx struts and they

dont fit right in the strut tube

thank all you guys for the info ok yesterday i got

my gc coilovers i ended up getting a 300 lb spring

and a 6" adjuster sleeve hopefully today by the end

off the day i should have the struts cut and welded

il post pics when im dun

alright i got the struts finished today the end result is a 280zx strut choped down 2.5" with a vw shock and weld on ground control coilover kit with a 300 lb spring

IMG0051600000.jpg

looks nice :P

• 2 weeks later...

That seems about right; mine sits roughly the same height on uncut struts with the adjustment collar bottomed out. It looks like you should have another 2.5 – 3in left to drop? Don’t be afraid to use the whole range of travel. Were are you out of?

Just a word of caution, if you're on just regular replacement shocks and/or gas filled shocks, you're pretty close to the limit of them with the 300lb springs.

Anything moar, and they will start to not be able to control the rebound of the springs well enough and the car will bounce like crazy. Trust me, I had my ~450lb/in springs on my Tokico Blues, and I looked like a retard whenever I went over bumps and bounced like a low rider. I got my VW Koni's in, set em to full stiff rebound, and the car rides BEAUTIFULLY meow, but I'd like them to be a bit stiffer...