groundcontrol coilover?

Just a word of caution, if you're on just regular replacement shocks and/or gas filled shocks, you're pretty close to the limit of them with the 300lb springs.

Anything moar, and they will start to not be able to control the rebound of the springs well enough and the car will bounce like crazy. Trust me, I had my ~450lb/in springs on my Tokico Blues, and I looked like a retard whenever I went over bumps and bounced like a low rider. I got my VW Koni's in, set em to full stiff rebound, and the car rides BEAUTIFULLY meow, but I'd like them to be a bit stiffer...

i'm trying to understand what you are saying. your car was bouncing because the spring rate was overpowering the struts ability to dampen?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm trying to understand what you are saying. your car was bouncing because the spring rate was overpowering the struts ability to dampen?

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I see alot of this. People get Super stiff springs and the cheap GR 2 brand shock cant dampen them

Be honest I like the old Suspension tech springs with a Koni RED insert set to about 1/4 turn.

The Coilovers give more adjustability and camber options

otherwise the ST springs and old Koni inserts are fine and pretty dam good on a daily driver in my opinion. But since my wrech I find my pass side has abiut 1/2 pos camber and its wearing out the tire so I might get a coilover for the camber plates. But have to find out if my rim with +22offset will hit the threaded colloar or base mount

I'm on a budget so I'm going to cut the stock springs. I'd like to get some new inserts for the cut springs (cheap) that I can also use once I get coilovers. If I must I'll just get adjustable inserts when I get coilovers.

Also, the PO installed bumpsteer spacers (280zx strut swap) but the car isn't lowered. I've got mad positive camber. Will lowering it help the camber or just fix the funky geometry and bumpsteer. I'll be getting camber plates next.

I put this in here cause eventually I'll be getting the GC coilover kit.

I'm on a budget so I'm going to cut the stock springs. I'd like to get some new inserts for the cut springs (cheap) that I can also use once I get coilovers. If I must I'll just get adjustable inserts when I get coilovers.

Also, the PO installed bumpsteer spacers (280zx strut swap) but the car isn't lowered. I've got mad positive camber. Will lowering it help the camber or just fix the funky geometry and bumpsteer. I'll be getting camber plates next.

I put this in here cause eventually I'll be getting the GC coilover kit.

if i were you i would cut the spring perch of with a air grinder then shorten the strut and

put sum vw sensatrac shocks then put the stock spring perch back on with shaft clamps or muffler clamps with the spring cut down 3 loops then when you get sum coilovers just slap them on

• 2 weeks later...

I used 80's vw rabbit strut inserts for my 280z struts. Can"t remember exactly how much shorter they were but it's 2 - 3 inches.

I did the same, used vw rabbit inserts(bilstein), and had DPR in Redondo Beach modify the ZX struts to fit the vw insert...an WALA..!!..lol. :D :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I have a similar setup but with Z31 Koni yellows and 325lb Eibach springs in a 610 with L18, was pretty dam good on the road and sat real flat, no bounce or anything just a tad soft for me.

Don't know about now since the car has an SR20, yet to drive it with that engine in the car.

IMO 275lb would be ideal for an L series powered 510/610 and 300lb to 325lb for SR....

Still trying to come up with my own rear coilovers but thats for another discussion.....

Alex