510 sr20det tach options,help.

Hey all Brad from Hosestop (the Datsun paint shop)etc. I have my Black 4dr SR running and ran the ECU TACH wire to dash area but wonder what tach will work with factory signal,was thinking maybe Infinity product from JY. or maybe aftermarket tach that may work with signal wire due to coil packs it may be hard to find one to read Nissan signal,wish stock tach could work ,I heard will fry my ECU.thanks for info later.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a good "how to" article in an old DQ, that shows how to just change the board on the factory 510 tach to a modern one, in order to make it work with the new motor.

Also, if you do some searching around here and there, there are a few other variations of that "how to", showing the way to update it, and make it work.

The factory inductive style tach can be made to work with the SR or any 4 cylinder engine. Run the coil pack wire power through the white wires on the back of the factory tach.

I have heard people zap ecu's , so it's the white tach wire to tach wire from ECU with a resistor in line ,trying not to cut up tach ,I also hear they use 82-85 maxima guts in 510 tach housing , I may get a VDO or something that goes in hole and works ,I don't care if matches that much.

I have heard people zap ecu's , so it's the white tach wire to tach wire from ECU with a resistor in line ,trying not to cut up tach ,I also hear they use 82-85 maxima guts in 510 tach housing , I may get a VDO or something that goes in hole and works ,I don't care if matches that much.

if you're afraid of frying an ecu, put a diode inline?

Try looking at the autometer Tach adapt Part# ATM-9117 its for the DIS coil pack , it changes the signal to use a tach. I wouldn't jerry rig do it right.

Hey thanks will check it out ,ECUs cost too much,have VDO turbo gauge ,SW. mech. oil gauge,auto meters are cheap thats good !running my car all stock 7psi ,runs great and gas mileage is good, need to paint my fac. black 4dr and maybe 65 fairlady srde next project ,also I make hoses and brake lines.