museum 620

NYC_HC

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now THAT'S what Little Stomper LOOKED LIKE!!!!!!! That is very, very cool. As You guys can see, that was a Low Manifacturing conversion. Spence really did them right. This guy will not get anywhere what this truck is worth. Why do these sales come up at holiday time when $$$ is scarce?!?!? But at tax refund time...................... maybe, just maybe, this truck could reside in Arizona!!!!! Somebody save all of those photos for later, I don't have time right now.

There's 6 days left and there is already a bidding war!!! I've watched the price go up twice since looking at the photos!!!! I would bet that it might go to Japan. 620 fans over there are seriously throwing some bucks into American vehicles, especially VW vans.

Wow, that is a much nicer conversion job than mine was.

It seems the sellers' agent is a little confused though, the t-14 is a 3speed transmission. It looks like its maybe muncie 4speed mated to the t14 with a Dana model 18 transfer case. That's a trick set up!

as nice as the conversion is, i don't think it's a very realistic resotoration. i understand it's intended purpose was to sit in a museum, but for all the time and effort that was put into this, wouldn't they use something other than the same paint to coat the inner fender area?

It looks clean, but I'm not really diggin' it. I don't know any of the history behind it, so this is just my layman's opinion, but it looks like a nice restomod, but that's about it. Personally, I think that some of the other 620's posted around the forum are a lot nicer. I'm not keen on the American components used in it (I'm biased...), and I don't much see the point in having it off-road capable if it's too nice to use offroad... But then again I'm against the new Hummers, just because I think they're somewhat useless...

I like the body work, I like the restoration, and it's a nice, clean truck, but I just don't think it's a museum piece. Showpiece, sure, but I'd rather see complete, original Datsuns, or ones modified with period-correct parts in a museum.

But, that's just my take on it, but I know nothing about the history of this truck... anybody care to clue me in? Is this one of a series of dealer-modified vehicles, or factory variations, or was it one of a run modified by a specific guy/shop (like the old Shelby Mustangs?), or is this just a 620 that someone took and made into a one-off 4x4?

It's one of the trucks converted to 4x by Low Mfg. Who did arguably the best conversion jobs in the 70's. I doubt it's been restored, it looks more like it was "updated", and personally I would love to have it, but I would 'wheel the piss out of it. No "hardcore" rockcrawling, but I'd take it on the Rubicon.

As far as period correct, it is. the components were all used on these trucks at the time. They were Dealer Options, like my dually. Although I do agree with you about the use of American components, but there were no japanese components available in the US at the time.

Makya: Thanks for that info... I didn't realize that Low Mfg. was a company that did these. Nice to know that it's period correct and dealer options...

It makes sense to use American components due to availability, but it seems almost overkill, at least at the time. I don't know much about American trucks of the 70's, but it seems like there were already a few 4x4's of various sizes on the market. I'm pretty sure there were a few Japanese 4x4s available as well, like the Toyota pickup and the Nissan Patrol...

I'm curious as to why they used American components rather than Japanese ones... it seems as if it would require more work to fit an American V8 as opposed to a Japanese I4. The only real reason I could see for that would be to get more power out of a Japanese-styled truck... but swapping an engine in a car seems to be a fairly personal choice. It seems that there'd be few people that would want an American engine in a Japanese truck that was off-road capable... was there really that much demand to make these kinds of conversions marketable?

Toyota didn't make a 4x minitruck in the US until 1979,although they did make the Landcruiser, and the Patrol wasn't imported in ANY #'s that would make it available to Joe Public. My 75 620 4x was converted by a company in Oregon and sold through a dealer in Washington. It has a Jeep D30 front end and a Dana Model 20 transfer case with the rest of the drivetrain being stock Datsun. Unfortunately, it was a hackjob compared to the ones that Low Mfg. did.

The only 4x minitrucks (Chevy Luv, Toyota, Datsun, Ford Courier) you could get in the 70's were Dealer conversions.

The V8 was , I beleive, an additional option.

Ah, now that makes sense. Do you have any idea what was the standard engine available with these conversions?

Sorry for all the little questions, but it's kinda cool... I'm starting to appreciate the truck a hell of a lot more knowing all this... :D

Toyota didn't make a 4x in the US until 1979, and the Patrol wasn't imported in ANY #'s that would make it available to Joe Public. My 75 620 4x was converted by a company in Oregon and sold through a dealer in Washington. It has a Jeep D30 front end and a Dana Model 20 transfer case with the rest of the drivetrain being stock Datsun. Unfortunately, it was a hackjob compared to the ones that Low Mfg. did.

The only 4x minitrucks (Chevy Luv, Toyota, Datsun, Ford Courier) you could get in the 70's were Dealer conversions.

The V8 was , I beleive, an additional option.

*cough* landcruiser *cough*

Landcruisers aren't trucks, except for one model, and that's harder to find than a patrol. The #'s I've seen for the FJ w/ a truck bed was around 1,300 Total.I'll edit my other post to include it.

typically, the conversions used the stock motors and drivetrain with a divorced transfer case, Low was the only one I know of that would go this far with the conversions.

Landcruisers aren't trucks, except for one model, and that's harder to find than a patrol. The #'s I've seen for the FJ w/ a truck bed was around 1,300 Total.I'll edit my other post to include it.

typically, the conversions used the stock motors and drivetrain with a divorced transfer case, Low was the only one I know of that would go this far with the conversions.

yes.. i guess they are a true SUV.. not like the tall cars they label "suv" now a

days fair enough.

the fj45 is a dream of mine..

mhm unimog axles

Robb-Rutledge.jpg