vw rabbit radiators are shit!!

Man one thing after another i swear! ok so fellas tell me, my 510 goon has a sohc ka what other options might their be for radiators besides that P.O.S rabbit thing. i'm pretty sure mine has developed a crack along the bottom in the plastic tank, its pissing everywhere. I never liked it to begin with, and now i have a reason to throw it in the trash where it belongs. id like to keep it fairly inexpensive if possible, but i dont wanna deal with having that stupid cap with no overflow setup. I know about the moroso inline filler, but i dont have the room for one, My intake tube is right above the top hose.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.summitracing.com/search/?keyword=scirroco%20radiator&dds=1

http://www.summitracing.com/search/?keyword=radiator%20%20drain&dds=1

I have used a VR6 style VW radiator in my car for years with no problems, it is very important to make sure that the bottom of the radiator is rubber mounted. The plastic radiators are sure to fail if solidly mounted, if you have the room Volvo 240's used there expansion tanks as the radiator fill with a pressurised cap.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/?keyword=scirroco%20radiator&dds=1

http://www.summitracing.com/search/?keyword=radiator%20%20drain&dds=1

I have used a VR6 style VW radiator in my car for years with no problems, it is very important to make sure that the bottom of the radiator is rubber mounted. The plastic radiators are sure to fail if solidly mounted, if you have the room Volvo 240's used there expansion tanks as the radiator fill with a pressurised cap.

Ditto I have the same radiator and to date not a single problem.Spend the money do it right and forget about it.

mine has been no problem, in fact this is the first time i have heard of an issue with the VW rad. this is the 2nd dime i have used the VW rad on and it has been great. the first one had the rad cap on it, this one i made an in-line set up. there is more than likely another problem, either you have started with a used rad that had a problem already, or there is something else, like a bad cap that didn't function as intended, or the installation is missing something. Are the rad hoses secured so they don't bounce around, causing stress and cracks on the end tanks? Millions of VW's use them with no problems, look at your installation, look at the OEM installation and note the differences and similarities.

yea i was just pissed i havent even driven my car and it cracked along the bottom. I actually bought another one this one has different mounting points. I still have a hell of a time bleeding the air outta a ka with a vw setup.

i dont think you had a vw rad to begin with considering the rabbit rad has no bottom tank the tanks are on the sides i have on and its never given me an issue then again mine is all brass and copper

i dont think you had a vw rad to begin with considering the rabbit rad has no bottom tank the tanks are on the sides i have on and its never given me an issue then again mine is all brass and copper

Yeah, the all metal ones are definitely better.

Oddly, I never had a problem with either of the Rabbit radiators I had in 510s, but the two Rabbits I had needed them replaced every three of four years. But those were the plastic/aluminum ones. And the problem I had in Rabbits was the upper hose necks breaking off for some reason... probably cheap plastic exacerbated by heat cycles.

I still very much like my Focus option. I detest VW, hence not putting a rabbit radiator in mine, plus they were much more expensive than a comparable 2000-2004 Focus radiator from the aftermarket. Mine's not leaking, after 3000 miles, 2 years, and quite a few airborne launches.

http://www.mattalbertson.net/datsuntech.htm

I would check your mounting system though. It may be getting excess vibration.

tehres nothing wrong with VW rads. i have had the same one in my 79 for years and no issues. 160+K on my jetta and my passat is runinng stock rad as well. just depends on how it was maintained, and how the install was done. who knows there may be an over pressure issue as well. if i didn't have a new rad for my truck already, i would ahve run a rabbit rad. since ihave enough of em..

Well I looked into the fiero rad but I need the inlets and outlets to be on the same side for the ka so I didn't have to have an obsurd colabiration of hoses. With the vw rad the hoses are easy stock 240sx hose trimmed a lot. And just a 90 upper