Super awesome rattle can paint job! advise?

8 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of paint should i use?

• Rustoleum
    • Duplicolor (spray can)
    • Duplicolor (quart type)
    • Krylon
    • Cheapo generic paint
    • Other (please tell me what kind!)
    • kmc63's method
    • Rustoleum sprayed with a gun

I am planning to do a super awesome paint job on my '68 roadster... for less than $100! I keep seeing these really great looking spray paint jobs, and decided I should try my hand at it. My datto has a crap body and a super ghetto paint job right now (i did it myself, about 2 years ago) but because the car is becoming a little nicer, I want to redo it. I plan to paint the car bright red, and will sand it down very thoroughly (on my last paint job, i didn't do a very good job of sanding, and it shows...), bang out the dents to the best of my ability and fill 'er up with bondo. I then plan to prime the car and spray the paint, sanding in between coats. after laying the red down, I will clear coat, color sand and buff. the goal is to get a really glossy, really nice looking paint job, but for super cheap! since most of the quality is in the prep work, i think I can make even a rattle can job look decent.

here is a minibike i painted using Duplicolor lacquer from Autozone:

0904081528.jpg

0904081546.jpg

Looks great, and the paint has a metal flake in it that looks amazing in the sun! I am hoping to achieve this quality or better... trouble is, it takes a minimum of 6 coats to achieve this look. i put about 9 coats on the tank in the picture.

here is a pic of the car:

SANY0001.jpg

mechanically it is sound (after enormous amounts of work!) so i want it to look more like it drives. I will be repainting it after i finish the z32 brake swap. red polished calipers (all the way around, i am swapping 200sx rear brakes on) and gold wheels with a tan top should look killer if the car is red.

my question is, what brand of paint works best? the duplicolor paint on the car now has held up... ok i guess. it seems to scratch off pretty easy. I have used rustoleum in the past, but it fades to a dull color in a matter of months. a friend suggested krylon, but i dont know about that, i have no experience with it. i thought about using the Duplicolor paint shop pro quarts, as i have access to a compressor and spray gun, but i dont know how much paint i would need to finish the car, and so i dont know how much that would cost. any advise would help, i need to do this cheap! i spent way too much on the brakes, and need to save for the upcoming KA motor swap this winter!!!

btw, if you are here to hate, and tell me to do it "right", dont bother. i have a nice, straight body that i plan to swap over once i have the resources. That body will be done the "right" way, frame off resto and all. this paint is meant to be temporary.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmm :huh: ok ? so why don't you put a "Opinion poll" at the ^^^^ (top) of the thread since it might help lead in the right direction with each category you are looking at doing ? Just a friendly thought :D

Try gunning it , good practice and ya gotta start somewhere right ? Although I dig the colors on it already :cool:

Prepping is everything :D

take your time, do light coats so no running, remember to do wet sanding & wash afterwards. Should turn out ok. have any friends with a bigger compressor?

Can get a cheap paint gun from home depot and paint from napa for 60 bux and do it like that. probably turn out better

I dig the colors on it already :cool:

Thanks! I like it, but it seems to get mixed reviews, and i kinda want a nice, clean car now. Ive been rockin' the BRE style for about two years now, its time for a change!

as i said before, i do have access to a paint gun and a decent compressor, my dad has one at his shop. the only reason i am unsure about this is since i have no experience with a gun, I dont know how many quarts of primer, base and clear i would need. at $20 a quart, it could get "expensive" quick. if anyone could give me a guesstimate on how many quarts of each i would need, that would give me an idea of cost. I have learned how to lay down a damn fine paint job with a rattle can (as the pics of the bike show... i think. i did not color sand that tank, that is how it looked after spraying alone. there was no orange peel whatsoever.)

I didnt even think of doing a poll, thanks for the tip! call me computer illiterate, or just plain tired! i would really appreciate opinions on different kinds of paint though, real world advise can be so handy! plus, if i am putting this much effort into it, i want it to last a while. i know it is just a rattle can, so i wont look good for forever, but if i could get another 2-3 years out of it, that would be fine.

also, what is a good clear coat to use? I know some clear coats last much longer than others...

here is what i plan do do, essentially. looks amazing! this kinda stemmed the whole idea:

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=657211&highlight=rattle+can

I have had bad luck with rustoleum in the past, or it would be an obvious choice. the gloss only lasted one month when i painted the trim on my z31. it is still holding on after 3-4 years, but it is more of a semi-gloss now.

the only reason i am unsure about this is since i have no experience with a gun,

I have learned how to lay down a damn fine paint job with a rattle can

i right there with you!

if you got good w/the can, imagine how well a gun will turn out! (thats how im convincing my self to do it !)

Damn near as cheap to use a gun 1/2 gallon of primer thinned by 1/2 paint thinner. 40.00$ car primered! Automotive paint look at tcp global I think thats it. You might spend 200.00$ but way better results. I spent a lot but most of it was on prep work. Only spent about 300.00$ on paint and primer.kevs510.jpg[/img]

My old paint was rattle canned. I liked it for a while until it started fading. I came across some Rust-Oleum paint for about $8 a quart, and mixed it with 15% acetone and found that it worked WAY better and cheaper then rattle can. It came out GREAT and looks way better then plain old rattle can. It's way smooth even without a clear coat on it yet, and seems to look even like real car paint. You can buy it in most colors, just about anywhere. Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

I got some pics if you wanna see how it turns out. My vote is Rustoleum, but NOT rattle can!!

My build with pictures.

Damn near as cheap to use a gun 1/2 gallon of primer thinned by 1/2 paint thinner. 40.00$ car primered! Automotive paint look at tcp global I think thats it. You might spend 200.00$ but way better results. I spent a lot but most of it was on prep work. Only spent about 300.00$ on paint and primer.

kevs510.jpg

wow, that looks insanely good for only $300!!! what kind of paint did you use? do you have a write up on that process? if it isnt too much trouble, I would definitely go that route instead. cost is my main concern, im sure i can lay down a good looking paint job with some practice. I'm not worried about using a gun, honestly. I really want to give it a go, before i spray the other body. I am one of those "jump in head first, figure it out later" types of guys! I bought the datto as a tool to improve and challenge my skills anyway.

btw, i fixed the pic for you! ;)

there is no way to do a "super nice spay can paintjob" and there is no way to get any paintjob for under $100 that is not embarrassing.... BUT there is one way to get some paint for cheap or even free.... go to some bodyshops and ask if they have inventory they dont use (or cant use because of V.O.C. compliance restrictions)..... almost every shop has paint materials they would love to have go away.... in many cases you will get far more than you want.

there is no way to do a "super nice spay can paintjob" and there is no way to get any paintjob for under $100 that is not embarrassing.... BUT there is one way to get some paint for cheap or even free.... go to some bodyshops and ask if they have inventory they dont use (or cant use because of V.O.C. compliance restrictions)..... almost every shop has paint materials they would love to have go away.... in many cases you will get far more than you want.

I said "super awesome" not "super nice"! lol. I know i cant get a show quality paint job, im not trying to. the goal is to get the most bang for my buck. as far as creating a great looking rattle can paint job, it is possible. click on the link i posted earlier and you will know what i mean! or, just look at the gas tank i rattle canned. i want a shiny paint job that doesn't look horrible. thats all.

as far as the idea you had, i like it! I will check with the stores around here as soon as i can, and see what happens. thanks!!!