S13/S14 KA24 5-Speed ID

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2eDeYe' date='12 May 2010 - 09:06 AM' timestamp='1273680375' post='302362']

I've got a 89 240sx 5-speed. Comes with the shifter and a slightly burnt clutch.

$150 or best offer.

I'm in Marysville, WA.

Man I'd like to get my hands on her. (FS5W71C)

dirty-old-man.jpg

Is there a cool thread anywhere that has all the general interchange specs on KA trans stuff?

Like:

Will a single cam and dual cam ka trans interchange? (what years fit what, s13, s14, etc.?)

Will the ka truck trans work also? (I know the block castings are slightly different.)

Did they come if different ratios, or are they all the same?

Are the lengths all the same?

Etc...

Ive been looking all over for weeks now, and I know there has to be one, I just can't seem to find it. (it's probably right in front of me, lol)

Shorter tranny = longer drive shaft. :rolleyes::D

S-12 (markII) 5 spd is 33 15/16"

S-13 5 spd is 35" (I've also heard 33", so maybe it's from a later S-14 dual cam?)

D21 5 spd is about 32"

All have the same bolt up pattern which is also the same as the Z20/22/24 motors. Though the tilt is wrong they would also bolt to the L16/18/20B/24/26/28

Thank you.

The reason is, I've got a '96 s14 kA in my dime right now, with an unknown KA trans (that is not in very happy shape, lol). I was just looking into what options I have to find another from what year car/truck or whatever, so I don't have to mess with my just newly shortened drive line. I'll have to go measure an s14 trans and compare it to the one that is in there right now.

2eDeYe' date='16 May 2010 - 11:10 AM' timestamp='1274033437' post='303667']

:lol:

Measures 34.5"

:lol:

A slope distance is always longer than the actual distance. So yours is likely the correct one for the 35" S13 I posted. I suspect that there are only 3 different lengths of FS5W71C trannys. There's a kid I sort of know down the street with a 240sx...

I knew it! See this is how the wrong info gets kicked around out there. Alright 34.5" for the 240sx. What year again, Steve?

I'll have to go measure an s14 trans and compare it to the one that is in there right now.

Creepy I definitely want to hear what you measured.

I have another C type that edakotaford measured properly and it was 33" This one I suspect is from the Hardbody truck.

Ok here's what I got.

Both the '95 240sx trans and the unknown ka trans, came up just under 34" to the end of the aluminum itself

(minus the little rubberized dust cover on the '95 and the copper colored one on the unknown)

On the unknown ka trans, it measured 35" with the copper colored dust shield on it still. This is why I measuered both trans without the shield. And the '95 measured 35.5" with the rubber shield on it still.

(These are all sloped measurements)

'95 240sx trans

P1120579Small.jpg

Pic of the rubberized dust cover/maybe dampener, whatever thing from the '95 240sx.

P1120580Small.jpg

Pic of the copper color (no rubberized) dust cover on the unknown ka trans

P1120581Small.jpg

So what I'm wondering is, if all these measurements are coming up different from different posters, depending on what shield is on it, and if there is one on theirs at all, lol.

Also, one thing about the unknown trans, it does not have the mounting hole for a crank angle sensor, so I'm assuming it's '94 and down.

Mine does not have that 'sheild' so my measurement is without it.

The trans was pulled from an '89, but the motor is a KA24DE from an unknown year (I've just been calling it a '92 for parts lol)

So does the end of yours look just like the 1st pic I posted, or is it different? (I'm just wondering for easy identification purposes)

If it's still there and hasn't been picked up yet, could you post a few pics of it? I can do the same with this s14 one, and maybe we can find out some easy little ways to tell what they are from, at just a glance.