S13/S14 KA24 5-Speed ID

So what I'm wondering is, if all these measurements are coming up different from different posters, depending on what shield is on it, and if there is one on theirs at all, lol.

The problem, (besides the dust shield) is that everyone measures it differently. A slope adds about 1". If you stand the tranny up and place a straight edge across the tail and measure up from the bell to a point about 8" off to the side of the dust cover on the straight edge. This gives a much more accurate true length.

I just used my tape measure on my door. I measured down the edge from the top and marked 35". Then I measured across the top about 8" and measured the slope distance down to the 35" mark and read the tape.... 35 7/8" ... big difference. I measured the bells I have here and 8" is about right from the center line of the tranny.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally agree Mike, and I was planning on going back and doing it that way also for the true length (I just didn't have time at that moment, to go dig out my straightedge). Also there seems to be, like you said, more people that measure it with the slope, so I figured we needed both measuring styles, lol.

The length on the aluminum of both of mine seem to be the same, the only difference seemed to be the dust shield.

Thanks Redeye, pics would be great.

Thanks guys, excellent pictures!

Creepy, I have never heard of the CAS in the bell before let alone a picture. This is a tranny that is about 15 years removed form most Datsuns and not commonly discussed much.Is there something special about the flywheel to make the CAS work?

• 4 weeks later...