Oil pressure gauge

Hoping to get an aftermarket oil pressure gauge. Question is, can i just hook up the unit to the oil pressure sensor thats stock? Or will i have to get something else. If so, anyone know which sensor to get?

The oil light stays on for a while, i wiggled wires doesnt seem to do anything. Sometimes if i just tap the dash the light goes off. Rather just get an aftermarket electronic like below...

http://www.autometer.com/cat_gaugedetail.aspx?gid=3449&sid=2

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, the stock sensor is actually a switch(on/off). If you get a gauge, you're better off getting a mechanical one with a feed line directly from the oil pressure sending unit port(You can install a brass "T" fitting and still have your dummy light, too). OR, there is always the option of buying an electrical sending unit.. but I prefer mechanical gauges; more reliable IMO.

You can't use the sender you have. It is merely a low pressure switch that grounds and turns the red warning light on.

Get the 720 4X4 console. It has a volts gauge and an oil pressure gauge on the top. At most a little trimming to fit it. The gauge looks like this:

oilgaugeLarge.jpg

Get also the sender unit on the side of the block. It looks like this:

oilsenderforgaugeLarge.jpg

The sender has two wires. One for the gauge and one for the red warning light. Also when removing the sender use the proper wrench. They can be twisted off by hand but this may cause them to leak later. Trust me.

Here's the console in my 620, but it would probably work in any car, or cut a hole in the dash and mount the gauge.

620stuff001Large-1.jpg

No, the stock sensor is actually a switch(on/off). If you get a gauge, you're better off getting a mechanical one with a feed line directly from the oil pressure sending unit port(You can install a brass "T" fitting and still have your dummy light, too). OR, there is always the option of buying an electrical sending unit.. but I prefer mechanical gauges; more reliable IMO.

Raph, ill keep that as an option. Just hear that the mechanical ones leak after a while. Ill keep this option open for sure tho.

You can't use the sender you have. It is merely a low pressure switch that grounds and turns the red warning light on.

Get the 720 4X4 console. It has a volts gauge and an oil pressure gauge on the top. At most a little trimming to fit it. The gauge looks like this:

Get also the sender unit on the side of the block. It looks like this:

The sender has two wires. One for the gauge and one for the red warning light. Also when removing the sender use the proper wrench. They can be twisted off by hand but this may cause them to leak later. Trust me.

Here's the console in my 620, but it would probably work in any car, or cut a hole in the dash and mount the gauge.

Hey mike. Ya, while back i was thinkin about putting these into my 720 2wd. I ended up selling the gauge, and the other 720 4x4 to micromachinery lol...

Does it have to be the 720 gauge or will aftermarket work with that 4x4 sensor? I don't have any more 4x4 stuff laying around, and they are pretty scarce around here to try n track one down.

Personally, I think you should just upgrade to a mechanical gauge. I've never heard of one failing and they are fairly easy to set up. HOWEVER note that any kit you buy you will also have to buy a metric kit to screw into the block separate. Most gauge kits don't include metric parts unless that's what the gauges were designed for. (Personal experience)

I would recommend plumbing your mechanical oil pressure gauge with 1/4 id tubing. That way, it responds to the changes in oil pressure, and you know what your oil pressure is. The oil pressure gauge on a warm engine should respond almost as fast as the tachometer.

I would recommend plumbing your mechanical oil pressure gauge with 1/4 id tubing. That way, it responds to the changes in oil pressure, and you know what your oil pressure is. The oil pressure gauge on a warm engine should respond almost as fast as the tachometer.

Ok. Ill head to napa tomorrow and see what i can come up with. Thanks guys :D

if your going to get a plastic 1/8 inch line get the Autometer brand. they madde in USA and have been OK to me so far.

The cheap taiwan made one in those kits at the local store will crack over time due to the heat /cold cycles.

Imn my beater I have a good bigger braided type of a oil line.

keep the stock sender in case line craps out in the middel of no where so you can cap it.

have been OK to me so far.

Imn my beater I have a good bigger braided type of a oil line.

so far...

ive seen motors destroyed by a broken plastic line :angry:

get the steel braided line.

mine has not leaked and it was 10yo when i got it.

so far...

ive seen motors destroyed by a broken plastic line :angry:

get the steel braided line.

mine has not leaked and it was 10yo when i got it.

are you supposed to put a lil thread tape on there with it?