Seal oil bearing gasket

sdsurf

When rebuilding an l-series motor there are to long thin gaskets on the back of the engine which go into the block from the bottom. The parts catalog calls them "Seal Oil Bearing Cap Side". When I rebuilt my engine I don't remember if these were installed. Would this be a major oil leak issue even with liquid gasket applied over them? Also how hard is it to replace these?

Thanks

sealoilbearing.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the seal slide into the side of the most rear main cap.

rearseal.jpg

I have a few sets of them laying around here I was going to take a pic of too but I cant find them atm :(

Ill try and find them and get some pics up in a bit.

there kind of a PITA to get in and out, so if you dont recall taking them out then they are prob still in there.

also, they dont sell them individually so they will show up non existent if you just go looking for them at the parts store. They come in the kit with the rear main seal.

I like the metal shim type, but I've had an engine apart that someone put the metal shim on the wrong side. The end effect was, there was no seal at all.

The seals come OUT easy... pull the bearing cap, but if it's really stuck you'd need a bearing cap puller. I just used a slide hammer since I was replacing the bearings and the seals anyway. Getting them IN properly takes a little patience.

I had the machine shop install mine.

The instruction in the Nissan/Datsun How to Book say install sealant on block corners, then install the side seal (gasket)

Nissan ones are 1 pc

other I have seen are 2 pc. a rubber long strip then with a metal as a wedge the slips down in there

Those are the ones I remember.

Do I need to pull the engine to get to these?

Also, Does anyone have any laying around I can buy or should I buy the rear main seal kit?

Thanks

I'd have to say yes. If the engine was out it's just easier to work on. The round oil seal can't be changed without the flywheel off but you should be able to loosen and rock the rear main cap down and out to get the old side seals out. Degrease thoroughly! Be sure to use RTV where necessary when installing them and have a care that the round crank oil seal fits into the mating groove in the main cap and does not get pinched. A small smear of RTV on the two cracks between cap and block when installing the oil pan and two at the front as well.

I personally wouldn't trust the reseal of the rear main seal after doing in the car.

Its not really that much work to yank the motor and be 100% sure that all out seals are there and everything's in tight.

• 5 months later...

SOOOoooo.... Mines is leaking bad.... Cant I just drop the pan and remove the bearing and clean it all up good and goop silicone and add new "side seals" since my rear seal is new???? How do you even install them? Mine is leaking from the tranny hole... Maybe a new seal is needed?

SOOOoooo.... Mines is leaking bad.... Cant I just drop the pan and remove the bearing and clean it all up good and goop silicone and add new "side seals" since my rear seal is new???? How do you even install them? Mine is leaking from the tranny hole... Maybe a new seal is needed?

I'd have to say yes. If the engine was out it's just easier to work on. The round oil seal can't be changed without the flywheel off but you should be able to loosen and rock the rear main cap down and out to get the old side seals out. Degrease thoroughly! Be sure to use RTV where necessary when installing them and have a care that the round crank oil seal fits into the mating groove in the main cap and does not get pinched. A small smear of RTV on the two cracks between cap and block when installing the oil pan and two at the front as well.

1pc Nissan ones from dealer

12289-W0400.

goop silicone

should never be "gooping" anything on an L motor :unsure:

did you put the main seal in correctly?

The the thing man. I DIDN'T DO THAT! Fucken idiots.... I make sure I do it right you know? LOL!!! FUCK!

In other words I just installed the "new engine" I now have to take it off again...

HEY BEN! Your not alone in this.... You gave me all your bad Voodoo man!

HEY BEN! Your not alone in this.... You gave me all your bad Voodoo man!

"Dont you PUT that evil on me!" lol nope i haven't resealed mine yet... it just marks it spot in the driveway.

I've been using it as my daily driver because my Frontier is broken. (just got the new rear end installed, but now have to get a driveshaft cut)

Sorry you gotta keep pulling that motor! I'm getting pretty good at it now I've done it so many times.