LZ22 Engine

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright. So I got everything together, went to set the engine down into the pickup.. and... none of the motor mounts I have will work :angry: I have tried L20b mounts, L16 mounts, the Z22 mounts won't work, as they tilt the engine the wrong way... anyone have any ideas? It's an 80 720 4x4 if it makes any difference. Thank you.

Drivers side Z24/Z22 MMs are about 5 inches.

The Z24 passenger side MM is about 6 inches

The Z22 passenger side MM is about 7 inches.

Measured at top of MM.....no 'rubber' involved. :D

The Z24 PS MM should drop the engine....not sure if it would be enough though....and or even work..........?

Edited by Sealik

Lol!!

I tried getting an L series motor in there, where you picked it up at. I couldn't find the right motor mounts either, only option was to shim the fuck out of one side, and use a super small one on the passenger, or create some custom shit.

Ya.....that's what I figure....but.....can't forget about the oil pan :)

Ya.....that's what I figure....but.....can't forget about the oil pan :)

Yeah, i gave him the correct oil pan for 80 4x4. so thats not an issue, just the metal motor mount that goes from block to the mount. its odd. Grahem has some pictures of what 80' looks like

Yeah, i gave him the correct oil pan for 80 4x4. so thats not an issue, just the metal motor mount that goes from block to the mount. its odd. Grahem has some pictures of what 80' looks like

Ya...I know he has the 80 pan.

Obviously the L20B MM are in a different position on the 'block' (height), relative to the Z22.????

Thought they were the same 4 some reason.... :blink: :)

Edited by Sealik

unno, i thought the z22 sat more up like a z24? dunno, never had a z22 :D

Z22/24 sit the same.

Because the Z24 is 3/4 inch taller than the Z22.... the Z24 MM is 1 inch shorter on the passenger side.

Hmmmmmmm....now I'm confused....... :blink: .... :lol:

wat?

lol i r confused now too

I did notice the rubber mount was different on the 2wd vs 4x4, which surprised me. Figured the rubber moutns would have been the same, and the metal mounts different. but looks like all of it was?

Ya..... :blink:

I believe the MMs are the same between the 2WD and the 4WD 720.......only differences are relative to the years/engine size.

Had one more thing to do before the engine came off the stand: had to fill in that old dipstick hole. I took the pan back off and used an 1/8" pipe plug tap to prepare for the brass plug.

Photo1250.jpg

Photo1251.jpg

After that, it was off the stand, onto the hoist, and on with the clutch... the old pilot bushing was looking pretty sloppy, wouldn't you say?

Photo1252.jpg

Alright, flywheel on, clutch on; let's do this.

Photo1253.jpg

Photo1254.jpg

Photo1255.jpg

Photo1256.jpg

Photo1257.jpg

Alright. So there it sits. Bolted up to the transmission, but the mounts are giving me fits. I really don't want to have to fab something up, so I'm hoping to find out if there's an OEM solution to my aftermarket problem :D

Perhaps a tall one and a short one would work??

i had the short one on the passenger side, then for the driver side. I had the bottom bolt on the MM, in the top hole of the block. Then had to shim it up a little at the bottom of the mount to make it work right. (was still off a little) you could possibly re-drill the holes in what you got to make it work right

I got freaky510 as a witness. The rubber mounts were different, i tried using the ones off my 2wd.

Same engine?.....Same year....?

Weird.....shall investigate with much non existent resolve..... :P :lol:

The long passenger side MM is from the Z22...correct...?...have a Z24 lying around...?

One thing I am concerned with....is that once one starts dropping the passenger side....clearance issues from the diff.

Don't know what you have....but right now I've got about 3/4 inch.....stock position on the 85 4x4.

Think I'm gonna have some problemos also :D

Ok. I think I got it licked this afternoon. :)

At first, I tried using the Z22 mounts, not really thinking about what I was doing. These looked nice and bolted on great.. except for they leaned the engine in the wrong direction. Duh.(Sorry, there are no pics to prove my foolishness <_< )

Next, I tried the mounts that came off of an L16. These bolted on fine, but they didn't allow the engine to fit down onto the rubber insulators; the receiving points for the rubber insulators were too far apart.

Photo1264.jpg

This side would bolt up, but on the other side, the hole that receives the stud that comes up from the rubber insulator would bypass the stud(they were made for wider mounting points).

After that, I tried using the shorter(or thinner) 510 rubber insulators. This also wouldn't work for a couple reasons: 1. The bolt holes to attach the insulator to the frame were too narrow(they could have worked by slotting the holes, I suppose..) and 2. They still caused the mounting points to be about 1/4"-1/2" too wide.

Finally, I used the passenger side L16 mount...

Photo1269.jpg

... along with this mount(L20b???)...

Photo1270.jpg

... to get this result.

Photo1275.jpg

Photo1273.jpg

;)

In the end, the taller rubber insulators that came with the truck ended up working after all.

I must say, however, that the first time that I tried the mystery mount(I believe it was from an L20b.. :unsure: ), it didn't work. It was only after trying a few different combinations of mounts and insulators that I discovered there were a LOWER set of bolt holes hidden in the grime on the passenger side insulator...

Photo1268.jpg

I moved the insulator up(put the bolts through the lower holes), and it was perfect!