LZ22 Engine

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been a busy past few days, on top of being sick :( I'm still brainstorming to try and come up with some kind of better support bracket for the oil pickup tube. After that, it's the oil pump, front crank seal and pulley, water outlets, thermostat housing, and the little cover that goes on the front of the head. So.. 12 bolts, if I'm not mistaken.

Oh yes, and the water pump.

Alright. So i got impatient waiting for one of these little guys to come to me, so I went out and fabbed up something myself. I used 1/8" x 1" steel strap and bent it this way, that way, and came up with this.

Photo1199.jpg

Photo1200.jpg

Photo1202.jpg

Drilled some holes, filed off some burrs, and here it is.

Photo1203.jpg

Photo1204.jpg

Photo1205.jpg

Without a decent vise, a 30 minute job easily becomes an afternoon's work. :rolleyes:

Definitely alot sturdier, though. I don't think I have to worry about it blowing in the wind.

You can see where I beat the hell out of it trying to form it over the sharpest corner of my work bench. Shit takes forever, and it doesn't help when you mess up an angle and have to flatten it back out, rinse, repeat.. It's done, though, and that's all that matters. :)

Without a decent vise, a 30 minute job easily becomes an afternoon's work. :rolleyes:

..."Without a decent vise, a 30 minute job easily becomes an afternoon's work. :rolleyes:"....

I hear ya.......... :D

Yup....back up.....take a deep breath.....regroup.........mmmmmm.......serenity.... :P ... :rolleyes:

Done.

Ahhh Do...... or do not!..... There is no try.

The zen of it all......... kof, kof (good shit)

I still got your tail lights buddy, i think they are in the truck tool box.

Kinda wish i had that truck still :rofl: If i was able to have it here at my house, i could have fabbed up some motor mounts and been driving it.

I knew I 'saw' that truck posted somewhere else.... :D

Definitely will work.....plan of attack...?......Just the engine swap for now?

I knew I 'saw' that truck posted somewhere else.... :D

Definitely will work.....plan of attack...?......Just the engine swap for now?

Yeah, just the engine for now. Gonna get her running and driving as my shop truck and off roader. It has a few other things it needs, like a front CV axle repair/replacement, still gotta go through and check all the electrical, etc.. bearing down on it now, though. Just a few more hours and the engine should be in.

front CVs for 80 are NLA, tho it just looks like they move the differential from driver to passenger side (cant remember, maybe visa versa) But it almost looks like you could buy one for an 81-86 and use it on the opposite sides.

if they dont fit but bolt up, maybe relocate the front diff over a little?

front CVs for 80 are NLA, tho it just looks like they move the differential from driver to passenger side (cant remember, maybe visa versa) But it almost looks like you could buy one for an 81-86 and use it on the opposite sides.

if they dont fit but bolt up, maybe relocate the front diff over a little?

81-82 will work.....just switch sides....not the 83+

81-82 will work.....just switch sides....not the 83+

Your correct, after 82 they changed

Yeah, I read this on another forum. Can you confirm this from personal experience, or is it just something you read?

Cant confirm! I asked Datzenmike about it a while ago, he seemed to think it would work also. there is a user in canada with an 80 4x4, he might be able to confirm. Either way man, swoop one up and check out the lengths on it, if no good just bring back!

Yeah, I read this on another forum. Can you confirm this from personal experience, or is it just something you read?

Fuck no.....negative on any personal experience......says so on the internet... :P .... :lol:

Actually....I was 'told' from another member....on another (720) site.

He knows his shit.....sooo....I would trust what he says.

I do have the 81 and 82 axles....so I could measure to confirm.

Would assume the 80 diff is exactly the same distance from the center of the truck as the 81-82....just opposite.