Rubber Shift Boot Repair?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ive had limited success with black RTV if you can clean it

rivets? :hmm:

I'm assuming that your tear is in one of the corrugations. Clean the edges and wipe them with white distilled vinegar, then dry [it's a primer]. Cut a piece of rayon or nylon cloth a bit longer and wider that the tear [cotton won't last when the RTV outgasses acetic acid aka vinegar]. Saturate the cloth with RTV and apply to the inside of the boot covering the tear and rub well, a tongue depressor or Popsickle stick comes to mind. Apply a small bit of the RTV to the outside area of the tear. Wet your fingers and "polish" the outer applied RTV to smooth it into the tear and blend with the outside contour [that's why you wiped it with vinegar]. This proceedure [without applying the reinforcing cloth patch] is how insulating boots are applied to the movable nozzles of solid rocket motors so should withstand normal or abnormal shifting in a 510.

• Like 4

Cut a piece of rayon or nylon cloth a bit longer and wider that the tear [cotton won't last when the RTV outgasses acetic acid aka vinegar]. Saturate the cloth with RTV and apply to the inside

:w00t: thanks for the additional tip!

( + rep quota reached? :huh: WTF???) IOU1

I'm assuming that your tear is in one of the corrugations. Clean the edges and wipe them with white distilled vinegar, then dry [it's a primer]. Cut a piece of rayon or nylon cloth a bit longer and wider that the tear [cotton won't last when the RTV outgasses acetic acid aka vinegar]. Saturate the cloth with RTV and apply to the inside of the boot covering the tear and rub well, a tongue depressor or Popsickle stick comes to mind. Apply a small bit of the RTV to the outside area of the tear. Wet your fingers and "polish" the outer applied RTV to smooth it into the tear and blend with the outside contour [that's why you wiped it with vinegar]. This proceedure [without applying the reinforcing cloth patch] is how insulating boots are applied to the movable nozzles of solid rocket motors so should withstand normal or abnormal shifting in a 510.

Just wondering if I should use any particular RTV? Permatex RTV Silicone Adhesive? Wipe the white distilled vinegar off or let it air dry?

Would it be too difficult to do it with out the inner bracing?

Just wondering if I should use any particular RTV? Permatex RTV Silicone Adhesive? Wipe the white distilled vinegar off or let it air dry?

Would it be too difficult to do it with out the inner bracing?

I use GE or Permatex Black RTV, whichever the store has.

You don't need the cloth, it's for long term insurance. If you are careful and ensure that the RTV contacts both sides of the tear you should be OK, just wait a day before flexing the boot or it will reopen. It would help to wipe the interior of the corrugation to insure that you have back surface support. I repaired a door switch on my Infiniti this way [way too small to insert any backing] and it is still flexible and "unbroken" after 2 years of opening and shutting the door.

Let it air dry, the RTV will outgas acetic acid anyway, so there's no use wiping it off or rinsing it.

I use GE or Permatex Black RTV, whichever the store has.

You don't need the cloth, it's for long term insurance. If you are careful and ensure that the RTV contacts both sides of the tear you should be OK, just wait a day before flexing the boot or it will reopen. It would help to wipe the interior of the corrugation to insure that you have back surface support. I repaired a door switch on my Infiniti this way [way too small to insert any backing] and it is still flexible and "unbroken" after 2 years of opening and shutting the door.

Let it air dry, the RTV will outgas acetic acid anyway, so there's no use wiping it off or rinsing it.

Cool, thanks. I'll give it a try and see how it works.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...