what to do what to do....

23 members have voted

1. 1. 610 coupe or 710 wagon

ok i have the money to go buy that girls beautiful 610. under 100,000 original miles, already has a nice sterio in it. she's the second owner, her aunt was the first. but i love my goon. I dont know if i can part with it. :(

i think if i had the 610 and drove it for a while it would be no problem. Kelly thinks i should go for it. but i dont know if i can part with the goon. we cant have to many vehicles. my dad is paying my insurance till im 25...unless i over do it. 2 datsuns was still cheaper than 1 stratus... :P

who here would be interested in my goon. im only willing to sell it to someone on here that will really love it. no craigslist or anything like that. theres even a few guys in town that have showed interest but they're not datsun guys so i dont like it. one just really likes wagons.

here's some pictures

the 610 im considering

23493_359503339448_510019448_3458949_6456232_n.jpg

23493_359503384448_510019448_3458952_525933_n.jpg

23493_359503374448_510019448_3458951_4671871_n.jpg

the goon i'd be parting with.

13441_191000171583_612421583_3959874_4607762_n.jpg

13441_191000181583_612421583_3959875_3536387_n.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How much do you want for the wagon??? ........... would it make the drive to California?

Any bad rust? ..... Why not let Kelly get the 610, and make him fix it up, and get it reliable,,,,, and then sell the goon?

id help him fix it up....

and he wanted it if it was a 2 door.

it needs an alt swap or voltage reg. replacement.

rust pics in thread below

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/16392-it-really-is-an-infectiondatsunitis/

shes keeping the goon, she may hate the thing right now just because she cant drive it. but when we get it runing again she'll go right back to loving the hell out of her little car.

As for the 610 we just dont have the room, im thinking about asking my mom if she will let me store the 610 down at there farm in Cottage Grove. Im just worryed the girl that has the car is going to get sick of looking at it behind her house and junk it or sell it to some one thats going to part it out or drive it to its grave.

Skunktruckin, I am there to I don't have a garage and an not allowed to have project cars were I rent ( thats why my green 620 is under car cover ) and want ever Datsun I see for sale. Glad to hear you are keeping the goon, She is in great shape and once Jas-ifras gets to drive her goon again she will love it. P.S. you can't own to many Datsun's!!!

P.S. you can't own to many Datsun's!!!

I have to disagree with this. Pick one, stick with it, finish it and drive it.

The goon is a nice car, but the 610 is actually the higher trim level model of the two. Cool factor? The wagon, no question. So, if you guys have the money to actually buy the 610, why not use that to sort out the electrics on the wagon?

From years of flipping, buying and selling 'cheap' cars I can honestly say there really is no sensible economy in having 3 cars that all need work. If the goal is a daily driver, and I know Jas prefers the AT, I would really think this through. You don't *need* a wagon, so the 4dr would work for your needs. It's a nice color, and it's nicely appointed. It's really a matter of preference. BUT, you've said the 610 needs some electrical sorting out too. Why not just fix what you've got?

There are dozens, maybe even hundreds of unfinished projects on this board. Take a long look at the projects section, what I've found is that the REALLY, REALLY top quality rigs are usually SINGLE projects with a huge amount of dedication to seeing it through. Less is better, focus on the good in what you've got now. 'Cuz it's good. :D

OK, so I'm not an expert on actually applying this theory myself, but in my defense, the 320 and 521 were both given to me. So the only Datsun I've actually purchased is the 510. Technically, I also bought the B210, sat on it, got distracted and sold it. Exactly what I'm trying to advise you guys NOT to do. :blush: In my experience, one really good solid reliable car beats 10 'cool' cars sitting in a field. Just my opinion, I vote for the 'goon...

PS - I'm excited for your Saturday trip!

:huh:

you must be able to eat 1 potato chip or 1 pistacio nut!

Not remotely. hahaha...

I sure wish someone I respected would have said some of this stuff to me a long time ago. Not sure if I'm respected, but I really like both Jas and skunk.

When I think back on several cars I let go of because I gave up on them, I come away with three things:

1) If I'd stuck with car X and fixed it instead of giving up on it, I'd have learned welding, bodywork and how to install cam bearings by now. In other words, I'd be in a better position to actually move on to the next car.

2) The list of the 'ones-that-got-away' cause me to look back at my decisions with disgust, remorse and just general sadness. And I have a long list.

3) The car guys I respect the most are those who've mastered no. 1, and can live with no. 2 because they are ready for something bigger and better.

My comments earlier were intended to try to save them some of those feelings, and an encouragement to improve their skills.

It's a whole lesson in sociology, but basically it boils down to consumerism infecting our general perception of value. Like I said earlier, one car that runs well, and is usable and reliable is way better than 10 sitting in a field. Especially when you're young and just trying to get to work. It only becomes more important as we escalate our value in the workplace and increase our family responsibilities.

There are exceptions of course to owning multiple Datsuns and actually being capable of bringing one or more of them to a decisive end point. Icehouse, MKlotz, Bob3 all come to mind. At the other end of the spectrum, dwnshifter, myself and countless others.

The prevailing trend seems to be, buy it cheap, hack it up, break it/wreck it, sell it, get another one. It's a cycle that not only reflects our societal mentality of disposability, but it also speaks to our abilities as a culture to hold onto something we claim to care about, even when it's not the easiest choice. I'm not trying to preach, here. I'm guilty of exactly this sort of behavior myself. It disgusts me, and I see now that I've wasted a lot of years buying and selling because it was easier than actually fixing and learning.

I know both Jas and skunktruckin and they are good people, I'd hate for them to be 40something and look back at the 'goon as the one that got away. It's a cool car, and it fits her, plus she digs it. The Datsun thing is an interest they both share, and may be something they do together for many years to come. Will they still have the 'goon when Jas is 40? Probably not, but if it's tricked out or restored or both during it's time with them, that is a difficult thing to place a monetary value on. Right? Anybody can buy and sell cars.

Guess I jacked the thread. Sorry Jes! If you guys end up with 10 Datsuns in a field, I'll try to help you make one of them reliable and usable, doesn't really matter which one...Ultimately, it's up to you anyway. :D

• Like 2

I sure wish someone I respected would have said some of this stuff to me a long time ago.

My comments earlier were intended to try to save them some of those feelings, and an encouragement to improve their skills.

The prevailing trend seems to be, buy it cheap, hack it up, break it/wreck it, sell it, get another one. It's a cycle that not only reflects our societal mentality of disposability, but it also speaks to our abilities as a culture to hold onto something we claim to care about, even when it's not the easiest choice.

Ultimately, it's up to you anyway. :D

:thumbsup:

that trend has almost disappeared, what hasnt, is what your comments reflect, gettin in over your head.

i bought a second, then sold it for another, & got it running before the wagon got any attention(>4 yrs now :angry: )

Not remotely. hahaha...

I sure wish someone I respected would have said some of this stuff to me a long time ago. Not sure if I'm respected, but I really like both Jas and skunk.

When I think back on several cars I let go of because I gave up on them, I come away with three things:

1) If I'd stuck with car X and fixed it instead of giving up on it, I'd have learned welding, bodywork and how to install cam bearings by now. In other words, I'd be in a better position to actually move on to the next car.

2) The list of the 'ones-that-got-away' cause me to look back at my decisions with disgust, remorse and just general sadness. And I have a long list.

3) The car guys I respect the most are those who've mastered no. 1, and can live with no. 2 because they are ready for something bigger and better.

It's a whole lesson in sociology, but basically it boils down to consumerism infecting our general perception of value. Like I said earlier, one car that runs well, and is usable and reliable is way better than 10 sitting in a field. Especially when you're young and just trying to get to work. It only becomes more important as we escalate our value in the workplace and increase our family responsibilities.

There are exceptions of course to owning multiple Datsuns and actually being capable of bringing one or more of them to a decisive end point. Icehouse, MKlotz, Bob3 all come to mind. At the other end of the spectrum, dwnshifter, myself and countless others.

The prevailing trend seems to be, buy it cheap, hack it up, break it/wreck it, sell it, get another one. It's a cycle that not only reflects our societal mentality of disposability, but it also speaks to our abilities as a culture to hold onto something we claim to care about, even when it's not the easiest choice. I'm not trying to preach, here. I'm guilty of exactly this sort of behavior myself. It disgusts me, and I see now that I've wasted a lot of years buying and selling because it was easier than actually fixing and learning.

I know both Jas and skunktruckin and they are good people, I'd hate for them to be 40something and look back at the 'goon as the one that got away. It's a cool car, and it fits her, plus she digs it. The Datsun thing is an interest they both share, and may be something they do together for many years to come. Will they still have the 'goon when Jas is 40? Probably not, but if it's tricked out or restored or both during it's time with them, that is a difficult thing to place a monetary value on. Right? Anybody can buy and sell cars.

Guess I jacked the thread. Sorry Jes! If you guys end up with 10 Datsuns in a field, I'll try to help you make one of them reliable and usable, doesn't really matter which one...Ultimately, it's up to you anyway. :D

Nuke you rock, like really :thumbup:

we'er definitely keeping the 710