23 members have voted

1. 1. 610 coupe or 710 wagon

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi bonvo,

Thanks for the kind words and considering how long ago the car was built; It was completed in 1977 and sold in 1978. I presumed that it was too "out of date" and that the car didn't have much attraction considering the cars you see these days on the internet. I'm pleased to know my car offered some you inspiration!

The person I sold it too seemed easily influenced by his friends. During circa 1976-78, the JDM market had a "cosmetic fad" that employed, what I call "suitcase latches" as an alternative to the standard "hood pin". The first thing he did was put these "suitcase latches" onto the car. They were mounted on the top of the fenders, midway from the front windshield to the front edge of the fender, and attached to the hood edge. What an abomination to say the least - IMO!! Then a few months later he calls to complain that the head was cracked (brand new Datsun Comp SSS with the big valves - ported - relieved- blueprinted) and that the person who worked on the car traded him "HIS OWN PERSONAL " stock 610 head that was in good condition). I asked him what was wrong that he had to have the car worked on? He told me that he had the valves adjusted. I told him that when you pull the valve cover gasket off the head that sometimes you'll drip a little oil onto the side of the block. He didn't believe me. Found out later that the guy was bragging about how he "took some guy for his SSS head because he didn't know anything" Well, word got around about his bragging but the person that bought my car didn't/couldn't do anything about it . Well, word got around about his "business ethics" and before you know it - the guy is out of business!

Didn't see the car for quite a few years. Then one day, someone I helped to replicate my car called me up and said he saw "NFRA RED" sitting at a gas station near my home in Daly City then, amongst a bunch of cars. I approached the gas station attendant about the car but he said he didn't know who the owner of the car was. Never saw it after that.

I'm hoping to find another coupe and build my updated version of a 610 GT. I've been building my next project car in my mind for quite some time and hoping sometime soon I'll get something going. In the meantime, I'm excited to be here along side all of you sharing your excitement and passion for your projects!

Would you consider getting together for some Datsun chat!!

Thanks for asking bonvo!

Ernie