Lights and crap

ok so Electrical stuff is lame. :( My brake lights are out and i cant figure out why. They were not working when i got the car and Nukeday got them working. He got some of the corosion off the bulbs and they worked just fine. I took them out again and they look just fine now. The bulb isnt blown either. I think he may have used some sort of oil to make it more conductive...i think thats the word...Maybe thats what i need to do. The fuse box needs a good cleaning but I dont think it's the cause or more things would not be working. I just bought new fuses to replace all of them.

ok after all that heres the damn question. What kind of fuses does my car need. I bought 2 packs of various sizes. ones high watt ones low. The guy at the store is a frickin idiot. I asked him what the difference was and he told me the visual differences. I would think low watt but i dont know. None of my fuses look blown but whoever had the car before me had a bunch of 10's in the 20 spots. The heater fuse kept blowing cos it had a 5 in it. I just want to replace all of them.

Also does anyone have any other ideas as to what my problem is. I would look on here and do more research but i've already spent to much time doing this. after april 15th i'd have more time but i'm borrowing my dads truck for now and its like $80 a week to drive the damn thing. I only have like 30 mins of light when i get off work so i need to be able to just go home and do it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ok so Electrical stuff is lame.

The fuse box needs a good cleaning but I dont think it's the cause or more things would not be working. I just bought new fuses to replace all of them.

The guy at the store is a frickin idiot. I asked him what the difference was and he told me the visual differences. I would think low watt but i dont know. None of my fuses look blown but whoever had the car before me had a bunch of 10's in the 20 spots.

I just want to replace all of them.

when i get off work so i need to be able to just go home and do it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

yes it can be!

DOUCHE THE BOX!!! :)

all it takes is 1 bad circuit tio make you pull your hair out.

IDOITS! you need 10 AMP (not WATT!) and 20 Amp 3AG (or AGC) glass fuses. any good parts place will have them, as would an electrical shop. get spares to carry in the tool box!!!

putting in a lower amp rating is fine,(NOT the other way round!) but w/the heater you see what happens if its too low.

the fuse box lid has the poisitons (maybe someone has a cover shot???)

yes it can be!

DOUCHE THE BOX!!! :)

all it takes is 1 bad circuit tio make you pull your hair out.

IDOITS! you need 10 AMP (not WATT!) and 20 Amp 3AG (or AGC) glass fuses. any good parts place will have them, as would an electrical shop. get spares to carry in the tool box!!!

putting in a lower amp rating is fine,(NOT the other way round!) but w/the heater you see what happens if its too low.

the fuse box lid has the poisitons (maybe someone has a cover shot???)

Hang said it douche that shit. Dip it in a container of vinegar for a few hours.

I see this costing about 25 bucks total. What I did was go and buy the bulk boxes of bulbs. Usually behind the counter and replaced every bulb in my car. in addition buy a bulb socket cleaner. Basicly a stick with small metal brushes on the end. And clean out all the sockets. Nuke day probably used dielectric grease. Its to seal moisture out. Use it. You might also look at the brake light switch.

I have the book for my car, I know whats spots need which sizes. I dont know what each spot powers though. Like which one is the heater, which one is lights so on. Funny, those are the 2 i do know now. :)

By brake light switch you mean the button under the pedal right? I checked that and it seemed fine.

Im going home in an hour i'll mess with it more then, thanks for the advice here. :D

I don't have a cover for my fuse panel....

I think the green/yellow wire goes to the fuse for the brake lights.....

Do you have a test light or multimeter? ....... I would put a brick on the brake pedal and test the wires going to the brake light bulb........ if you don't have power there.... . . then check for power at the brake light switch (under dash.... on the brake pedal)........ . . . if you don't have power there ... . .. then check the green/yellow wire on the fuse panel

If you need me to take any pics,,, , , I have my dash all torn apart until I get my guages working

buy a test light for a couple of bucks. Use it to test for power and ground at the bulb socket. Take out the bulb and inspect the socket for sunken contacts. If the contacts are sunk down into the plastic you will get a poor (or no) connection. Also check the contacts on the bulb for heating up and melting. Assuming both bulbs are out, you should look at common items, like the brake switch and grounds.

the running lights were working just fine. I took the bulbs out and cleaned them with the wire brush and used the conductive lube stuff. I took the fusebox outish and soaked it in lemon juice, dried it off and put it back in and the lights worked for a split second then the bulbs blew out. i went and got new ones and nothing. My book shows different than the fuse things i've seen. Nuke sent me one and the one above dont match the book. it shows only one 20 not 3. I figured that out after blowing the bulbs. i put a 10 in and they're still not working. I dont have a working multimeter,it just needs a battery. i'll have to get one and try more stuff tomorrow.

the running lights were working just fine. *snip* ... and the lights worked for a split second then the bulbs blew out.

Are the running lights out now too? Sure wish I had more time to help out... :(

An incandescent bulb is really just a fancy fuse that puts out light. I'm curious, are you sure the bulbs blew, but not the fuse?

Keep after it, you're learning, and you're plenty smart enough to figure it out.

!!Just stumbled on this on ebay: PN for rear taillight harness 26553-U9200 (you can try calling Lithia with this PN and see if you can get it locally.)

$20 doesnt seem to bad, i think i'll just order that. Even if thats not why i dont think it would hurt to replace it.

The fuses looked fine but the bulbs were melted.

I think i put a 20 where a 10 goes using the wrong fuse diagram.

But putting a 10 in with fresh new bulbs didnt make it work. Im wondering if maybe it really is just the voltage regualtor causing this. But why wouldnt the fuse have blown with the bulb. The bulbs werent blown and it wasnt working. I did a bunch of crap, soaking fusebox, cleaning and lubing sockets, new bulbs, new fuses....it worked for the first pump of the pedal then nothing :huh: . 3 bulbs melted, 1 didn't. I put a lower amp fuse in and replaced the bulbs again and now the running lights are out too.

The running lights were working when i started all of this. Im pretty sure that now they dont. Work has my mind feeling very overwhelmed so i could be remembering wrong. :(

• 3 weeks later...

i was gonna sugest fusable links asi was reading this lol mine went out in my 610 and it caused ALL my lights to stop working fusable links are abitch but they work im just glad i have a roll of it here at home :P

• 4 weeks later...

ok more to add i guess.

My left side lights are being crap. :angry: They are on but barely. If i have the lights on the blinker gets really dim. I have tried just about everything i can think of now and nothing it helping. I took out the bulbs cleaned the plugs and bulbs. It doesnt matter which bulbs i put in the left side i just really dim. it's not fuses, they're all new. I even cleaned it with a wire brush again. I even swapped out the volatage regulator and nothing. Im not good with wiring, i dont even know which is the ground wire for them. that's the only other thing i can think of and i dont know how to do it :(

help of any kind would be cool. i really dont know what to do.

clean the 2 wire plug connectors.

they would be the only place left to clean.

90% of ground wires are solid black.

the markers MAY be blue...

could also be a bad socket... if the bulbs work well in a different socket.

i'm still learning all this stuff. im also a visual learner....try to bear with me :D

what do you mean by plug connectors? the socket deal is stuck on a bunch of wires wrapped together that goes somewhere else.... i dont even know...

is it safe to assume all the wires stuck to my battery with the little washer like things are ground wiresfor something? 2 of them are red...one is red by the battery then goes into where the voltage reg. lives and looks like this...

30170_426618986583_612421583_5575009_5792433_n.jpg

30170_426618981583_612421583_5575008_6204886_n.jpg

looks like it's just loosly twisted together there. no soder or tape or anything...