Tie rod ends SUCK

My tie rod ends are shot all to hell and I'm trying to get them replaced. The adjustment bolt is rusted on and I can't manage to get the bastard loose. I've soaked it in PB blaster, put a huge wrench on it and beat it with a sledge hammer, heated it up and it hasn't budged a bit.

Anybody got any advice?

IMAG1118-1-1.jpg

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what i did. I heat it up for like 2 minutes. Then hit it like 15 strikes. Then heat it for 1 minute. The hit it 15 more times. The heat it up and BAM BAM BAM BAM!!!!!

This is what I did..

cdsdfgfg.jpg

I put another nut on the end of the through bolt and used it as a bigger surface to hammer on (it protects the bolt as well). I also used a pickle fork and pounded it between the rod/arm to force them apart.

Guys, he said the adjustment bolt not the one with the cotter pin.

:lol: Take a good look at the threads and see if they are left hand .... bet they are.

:lol: Take a good look at the threads and see if they are left hand .... bet they are.

Ooops. :)

BTW, PB Blaster is kid stuff. Try equal parts ATF and acetone, and drizzle it on the part.

Proven to be a better penetrant than PB or Krall.

Guys, he said the adjustment bolt not the one with the cotter pin.

ah shit........

I didn't think about that.

This is why you don't work on cars while intoxicated in any way. haha

Left hand threads are a bitch.

I said a torch, not one of those little propane torches that can barely light my cigarette. get that fucker glowin' and hose it off in PB, then use two wrenches to make a breaker wrench, like you would slip a pipe over a ratchet to make a breaker bar.

Oxy/Acetylene? Got one :D

DONT HIT THE THREADS!!! :blink: On the TRE remove the cotter key and the bolt, take a prybar or something to put downward pressure on it and hit the SIDE of the of the TRE mount that mounts to the strut (I forget what its called) with a big hammer. You dont need a pickle fork or anything, it doesnt destroy the rubber boot and you can reuse the TRE if its not shot.Ive got a 5 pound stanley single jack, I think I got it at lowes years ago but I see them in pawn shops all the time for $5-$10. One of the handiest tools I own.

On the rusty dirty nasty threads, before you try to remove/loosen the nuts, take a stiff wire brush and some penetrating oil to them to get them as clean as possible before removing. Odds are you will be able to reuse the bar that goes between the rod ends.

Since youre down there may want to take an inventory of what else needs to be changed, bushings? etc. so that when you buy, you buy everthing...

Way ahead of you there cool.gif

I've just ordered new brakes, bushings etc.

I feel rich right now. haha