KYB part numbers and front struts

racerx

Need to verify with you guys...I have a 1971 510 (2 door) and I am shopping for some struts and shocks. Went on line and seen shocks for rear but no front inserts, called KYB itself and was verified that they don't carry front inserts for my car...then I go on Ebay and some guy is selling the whole set-up front and rear but for front inserts he states that one should use a 7/8" metal spacer..does this jive? Would like Tokicos but out of my price range, need to change shocks, bushings and then coil overs...

Thanks,

RacerX

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

also the part number for a 85 camaro or firebird works for the rear... ihave the gr2s in the rear paird with d-50 springs and love the feel!!!

if you get zx struts you wil not need that 7/8 spacer you can jsut shop for 280zx inserts MUCH easyer!!!

if you need Tokico's let me know. I think I sent you a rough quote for inserts for front and rear shocks. I can get the camaro rears also. if you want KYB I can get that also but price is not much more cheaper or at all. the front inserts are same for stock 510 and Zx strut housing part # wise. you may have to use spacers inside the strut housing but that is common practice with a lot of companies.

I don't want to mislead but '68 camero front struts if you have shorter/cut springs.

Must have the numbers backwards. I don't remember the '68 Camaro having struts, they were just regular GM coils and shocks. Did you mean '86?

KYB itself and was verified that they don't carry front inserts for my car...

You answered your own question. KYB dont make a shocks for a 510 strurts anymore. There were 3 sizes. 10.5 ,11,11.5inch.

If you saw a guy on Ebay what he was doing is listing a 280zx cartridge as it is shorter and use a spacer at the bottom of the strut tube so when you put the big nut on top it clamps the cartridge so it dont bounce around.

also if he is selling just a GR2 strut or shock its just a basic shock,noting special. I think the Tokico blu would be better.

Persoanlly I would get your 510 struts cut to the 280zx lenght so it will lower the car more w/i cutting the coils or better yet get the 280zx whole struts with brakes and spindals. But this both is more work and Im lazy to explain to day.

correct like Hainz said since KYB does not make a front insert for a 510 use the Zx one and use a nut to put inside the strut housing to make up the space/gap. I personally would go get the zx front strut and brake assembly and get either KYB or tokicos. just save up and do it right. you will like the upgraded brakes. also checking on prices there is not a huge price difference brand new from KYB and tokico. one thing about tokico I have heard is the shocks are better made and are more consistent on a shock dyno but in any regard they either will blow away old stock worn out units

The reason why I was verifying because of confusing feedback from other vendors who says they have them and of course the guy from Ebay. I don't really want to lower the car anymore since it's lowered enough. And yes that's what I am finding out about the price that Tokicos are a just a bit more except of course the adjustable ones. At any rate thanks for all of your patience....