For you L-Series and Turbo lovers

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike I was going to say this yesterday!!!!!

But some people just get so bummed when I question some of these HP#s

Bens SR20 DET(Turbo) 176 @wheels

Jeffs 68 SR20DET (turbo) 199@ wheels

this guy says 300hp with that small down pipe?????

Truth! You can handle the truth.

Looks like cool set up. I have a feeling he'll take 250$

Whats is a 300hp L motor worth???? I say BIG $$$$$$ best to sell the motor with the turbo

Believe me I WOULD just write a check for 2500-3000$ for a drop in a couple hours 300hp L motor!!!!in my beater 510

Looks like a neat set up if it truely is a good part.

It is but 300hp? I doubt that very much. A draw through set up, no intercooler? It'l ping like hell at anything over 7-9 lbs boost.

Oh yeah, this is just an opinion.

good thing you stated not your opinion because thats not to true at all. Think supercharger! peace.

Mike I was going to say this yesterday!!!!!

But some people just get so bummed when I question some of these HP#s

Bens SR20 DET(Turbo) 176 @wheels

Jeffs 68 SR20DET (turbo) 199@ wheels

this guy says 300hp with that small down pipe?????

Truth! You can handle the truth.

Looks like cool set up. I have a feeling he'll take 250$

Whats is a 300hp L motor worth???? I say BIG $$$$$$ best to sell the motor with the turbo

Believe me I WOULD just write a check for 2500-3000$ for a drop in a couple hours 300hp L motor!!!!in my beater 510

Looks like a neat set up if it truely is a good part.

15 lbs... theoretically you are pounding twice the fuel and air in at this pressure, so theoretically you are making twice the hp you would without it. Now, what would this motor make without a turbo?, at least 100 hp with a 2bbl. Maybe 120 with a cam, so double and add 10 for error you get 250 ish. And this is NOT rear wheel hp!!! I would guess 150-180 RWHP (show me the money!)

Keith Law gets about 250 RWHP with a blow through, intercooler, methanol injection, 10 to 0 comp., and 110 ave gas. Plus all the extras to keep it alive, massive oil cooler, hp oil pump, spray bar, exhaust temp gauge, on and on...

Now having said all this, this set up looks clean and thought out and would definitely give kick in the ass performance. A 75% increase in power for only $450 is still a good bang for the buck deal.

Why do people think that higher compression (as the above turbo 10:1 compression engine) is a good thing?

With forced air (turbos or superchargers) you want just enough compression to start the thing. 6:1, 7:1, dished pistons. Then raise the boost to put the cylinder pressure up to where you want, based off the fuel (more boost, higher octane). You get more charge into the cylinder and make more power. High static compression is pointless in a boosted system.

Of course, I get this from the race engines I work on, which are centrifugally supercharged. They run 6.0:1 compression. One runs up to 25lb Boost on 118 octane fuel and Water/alcohol injection (ADI). It's supposed to be intercooled, but a larger ADI system was used instead to increase intake velocity. The other, 15lb boost, no ADI or intercooler, 100-110 octane. But these are big engines.

Why do people think that higher compression (as the above turbo 10:1 compression engine) is a good thing?.

Off boost response for one, you wanna be anywhere from 8.7 - 9.2:1 for a basic boosted street engine. Dont be afraid to boost 10:1 compression motors. You can make more power with less boost on a higher comp engine. Also, last but not least BOOST pressure has nothing to do with one specific engine. It is all about volume and of course pressure comes into play with the components of your boosted setup. A t25 at 15 psi is a WHOLE other ballgame than a bigger t04 at the same pressure. I hate it when people ask; HOW MUCH BOOST can I run? anyway, my rant is over.

BTW, how big of engines are we talking about? peace.

Exactly, off boost response. A 7 to 1 compression motor feels lame off the line. However, 10 to 1 brings up the specter of per ignition, even without boost. Inter cooler, meth injection, forged pistons and timing control are desperately needed for it to work and stay together.

I'm not a drag person, I think about making power way up the RPM band, not down low. I guess I wasn't even thinking about "off the line" performance, being that the engines I work on aren't ever "off" boost. They're making boost at idle- not much, but enough to move the boost gauge up to 10In/Hg. Our gauges are in Inches Mercury, not PSI. With the non-ADI engines 40 is max, any more and the intake plenums tend to blow up. The ADI ones can handle 70 inches.

These are big V-12 engines, over 60 years old. Originally aircraft engines, but we have them in boats.

I'm not a drag person, I think about making power way up the RPM band, not down low. I guess I wasn't even thinking about "off the line" performance, being that the engines I work on aren't ever "off" boost. They're making boost at idle- not much, but enough to move the boost gauge up to 10In/Hg. Our gauges are in Inches Mercury, not PSI. With the non-ADI engines 40 is max, any more and the intake plenums tend to blow up. The ADI ones can handle 70 inches.

These are big V-12 engines, over 60 years old. Originally aircraft engines, but we have them in boats.

Damn, well as you can see the tiny L needs all the help it can get.:D

thats probably the biggest reason why your engines are so low in compression because, any engine running at a constant rpm like that needs as little stress as possible. Plus any high comp engine with boost shouldnt be exposed to full boost for very long, even with anti detonation precautions. peace.

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.