Help! I think my title has been stolen!

So some things have disappeared from my house in the last week. An ipod, a camera, some video games. Nothing too major, but I went looking for the title for my recently purchased wagon and can't find it. ANYWHERE! I tore my house apart thinking one of the kids took it or used it to color on. Nothing. I fear that it has been stolen. I have only had the car a week and never got around to signing the title because there was no hurry. I'm kinda worried that some schmuk is going to forge my name and go get a title loan or something. How worried should I be? What should I do?

Thanks for your help

Schmo

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

first of all, you should get the title signed over the same if not next business day at the dmv lol...

anyways, goto the previous owner and explain it, see if he/she will goto the DMV with you and just get it transferred on the spot. Let the dmv know the last one got lost/stolen. dunno much else to do..

The title is like gold! Get it in your name next time.

Like was said before, you're stuck if the current owner of the car won't help you out.

They can go to the DMV and do a "Lost Title Transfer"

With proper ID, he can say he doesn't have the paper title but if it is in his name, he can still transfer the ownership to you on the spot and they'll mail you the proper title. Bring cash or check to pay the title transfer fees.

On all your other missing items... is your house being carefully broken into or is a member of your family pawning off items to buy drugs? Better check that out before tools turn up missing.

I'd try the DMV and explain what happened. If he signs it and takes it to the DMV, it's legally his, and you've just screwed yourself. I doubt the PO can really do anything, and you may not be able to either, because it's all hearsay at this point. Once he has the title he can have it towed back to his place. I'd hide the car in the backyard until it gets figured out.

Hey! Why are we giving him ideas. This car could be stolen for all I know. He could be claiming innocence by his little story.

THE only way I know is to contact the original owner. Give him a 20$ and make him get a replacement pink. And then transfer it over. BUT! He could be a dick and claim that you stole the car. BE sure to have the original paperwork/contract.

Something smells fishy.... Why ask Ratsun? Cant you go to the DMV and ask them? Hmm......

Hey! Why are we giving him ideas. This car could be stolen for all I know. He could be claiming innocence by his little story.

THE only way I know is to contact the original owner. Give him a 20$ and make him get a replacement pink. And then transfer it over. BUT! He could be a dick and claim that you stole the car. BE sure to have the original paperwork/contract.

Something smells fishy.... Why ask Ratsun? Cant you go to the DMV and ask them? Hmm......

Good thinking....