Car Treadmil?

Skib

nascar-test-1.jpg

Haas CNC Racing NASCAR team owner Gene Haas teamed up with Jacobs Engineering to create the first rolling road testing facility in the United States known as WindShear Inc. It's a one-millimeter thick continuous steel belt that rolls at over 180mph, and features sensors under the bed that can take readings at each wheel. It was created because wind tunnels get errors in readings at such high speeds. Although I'd much rather deal with reading errors than have a test car go shooting through the wall because the wheels and belt weren't exactly matched up.

nascar-test-2.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With shit like that I always envision a bunch of people sitting around in a conference room drumming up ideas,

probably suit and tie guys,

and someone going "hey, what if be built a giant treadmil!?"

feels like a goofy scene out of an old cartoon (drawn like "Johnny Quest" or "Birdman") :rofl:

With shit like that I always envision a bunch of people sitting around in a conference room drumming up ideas,

probably suit and tie guys,

and someone going "hey, what if be built a giant treadmil!?"

feels like a goofy scene out of an old cartoon (drawn like "Johnny Quest" or "Birdman") :rofl:

I have a feeling a lot of beer or some sorta drugs are involved in this. I mean come on... "Hey duuuuuuude lets make this giant treadmill for race cars... but like... Stick it 10 feet in the air!"

I have a feeling a lot of beer or some sorta drugs are involved in this. I mean come on... "Hey duuuuuuude lets make this giant treadmill for race cars... but like... Stick it 10 feet in the air!"

ya there the ideas that I would be like "fuckin really?... really?" and yet someone has invested a shit-ton of money.......

to make a giant ass treadmil, for race cars.

The tread mill is mounted in the floor of a wind tunnel and can be rotated up to 16 degrees to each side to simulate a side wind. This would closely simulate real racing conditions.

God only knows how much an hour of data logging on this thing would be $$$$$

Makes sense for full scale wind tunnel testing. There are issues with boundary layers with a stationary floor. However, NASCAR is nothing compared to F1. Most current F1 teams (the big ones at least) are running a wind tunnel 24/7 365 days a year. Talk about expensive!

Like my old mechanic buddy says: "NASCAR, the most advanced techology, the best drivers, 200+ mph sustained speeds, and all they can do is turn left." We can add wind tunnels to that now. :)

You can see guides on the sides of the car though, it is somewhat anchored down. I imagine an abrupt stop might cause issues though.

Like my old mechanic buddy says: "NASCAR, the most advanced techology, the best drivers, 200+ mph sustained speeds, and all they can do is turn left." We can add wind tunnels to that now. :)

I'm not so sure about the best technology and best drivers thing. Wind tunnels have been a factor for many years now though.

Yeah, some of the comments you hear from the drivers at NASCAR races, it's a wonder they can figure out how to turn the car on, let alone shift it. :D

But as much as I hate NASCAR and enjoy mocking it, I will say it does take skill to keep a good line going that fast around an oval. Boring as hell, but skill nonetheless.

from a designers stand point.. i think its kinda lame to have it raised up about 3 stories... what if the cables snap and the car flies off.. good luck saving the car and the driver

and the guy sitting below... lol