creamy.....1971 521

slowdown

so here are a few pictures of creamy..i just got her a month or so ago..i love her..im gunna be getting a 5 speed from the datsun parts llc guy im pretty sure hes a member on here its out of a 280z a 1980 i think... im wondering if the l16 and the rear end are up to it...i know its a common swap but not sure if i need to change the gears in the rear end or get one of those big boy motors i hope it all works with minimal mods.. im prepared for new drive shaft,tranny mount possibly enlarging the hole in the cab..let me know what im in for boizzzzz

img1657km.jpg

img1662n.jpg

img1658e.jpg

img1661o.jpg

img1659o.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks guy i gota do the king pins in the front end and i ordered a new carb a couple days ago my mechanic buddy was trying to get me to do the weber with the electric choke but i wanted to keep it as mechanical as possible not that i know how to work on mechanical things but i think ill have less of a handle on something with wires involved?? hook up a new choke cable cause its lacking one now and doesnt like to start in the morning but other than that she solid maybe put the bench back in but i like the t bird seats the comfyyy i also need to get the seat belt situation takin care of not that they will help that much but maybe from a ticket or sometinggg

The '80 280zx tranny will work just fine in your little 521. The 5th over drive gear is quite tall and was intended for a six cylinder to use. It's only for level highway cruise speeds to reduce engine RPMs. With only an L16 it will be sluggish climbing slight grades and driving into a head wind. For passing, climbing hills or carrying a load use 4th only.

Isnt the Z tranny longer.

This is no 1 day swap. 521 have a funky bot on the end of the trawns ect... If your a entry level mech just past this up

Persoanlly just get a 200sx sp speed and you still need to modthe x member hanger thing.

Just put the carb on and call it good.

I hate to see another 521 be on the side of the house.Not done rotting away

Also do the kingpins first as the kingpin set its self is cheap but getting the machine work and fitting them evn cost me 250$ for a shop to do it. But I stalled the hubs and stuff back on.

Mklotz has this write up on olddatsuns.com in the tech section

thanks for the positive feedback doodezz and datsun mike that is exactly what im looking for!! not to worry hainz im not gunna mess around with the tranny thats way over my head but i have a buddy that owns a aaa shop and gives me pretty good deals..so he will make it happen in a timely fashion..i am gunna tackle the carb though like i said i have minimal wrench turnng skill...if it where made of wood it would make it alot easier on me...but it isnt rocket science..so ill put it on upside down backwardz

MY OLD BABY!!!!!!!!!! shes lookin good man,glad you trying new things on her and doin her up,you know what i always wanted to do,and you would probably have a better shot and tools as well is to put afake wood panel bed there was a article in 1 of my mini truckin mags that had a company that charged a boatload but since you and your pops are woodworkers it should be no sweat,glad you love the truck, i did too but the things i wanted to do i couldnt see doing it to that truck as she was sooo nice in stock form,take it easy man, o yea still got the wiper bag hahaahaha

haha nice maybe ill end up with it some how.. funny you say that ive totally thought about doing a wood lined bed!!!! i would have to start listening to only the beach boys and buy a surf board but hey i love me some beach boys and wouldnt mind learning how to surf so will see what happens! i picked up the tranny today damn the datsun parts llc guy has such a bitchin 510 and 620!!!

• Like 1

ok dumb question im trying to get my windshield wipers workin is the motor located next to the fuze box or am i a complete retard??? noting happens when i hit the switch so im thinkin somethins disconected or broken i need to get a haines repair manual for this thing give my small brain a refrence any sugestions would be cool driveing in the rain without wipers is pretty hairy!!!!

• 1 month later...