no headlights...

Skib

^^I highly recommend this^^. When I lost the headlights on my 1200 I found that there was an intermittent ground failure in my harness. Since it was intermittent -- I never actually found it but I added a redundant ground to each side at the headlights. After I did that, I added the relays like Mike suggested. I basically pulled my trigger (switched) power from the headlight plugs and put new pigtails after the relays. It is essentially a stand-alone so I could remove it and just plug the original harness back in. The lights were twice as bright and I had maybe $15 in the whole thing.

I have a whole harness on there, it plugs into the headlight harness, headlights, 2 relays and to the 12v. and each headlight plug has a ground wire on it that goes right form the plug to the body

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to have to do something with mine too. Must be the weather, Eleanor's being bitchy on lights again. They didn't light up until we slammed the hood then drove off, then they went dim again, then I rallied up a dirt road and the banging got them bright again. Hadn't had any trouble since the last time I fixed them, which was quite a few months ago.

I think the real fix is an entirely new wiring harness. Wish I would have saved the harness from that car I cut up so I could replicate it. Didn't think about it at the time.

I got over to Skib's place last night, and we got his headlights working.

I used a wiring diagram I had in the back of a 1970-1971 Nissan emissions control system service manual.

Here is how the electricity goes, from the fuse block, to the ground.

There are two power wires for the headlights, Red, and Red with a blue stripe. The red is for the right two headlights, the Red/blue is for the two left headlights. As near as I can tell, these two wires go directly to the headlights, and connect to the common terminal on the dual filament (high/low) lamps, and one terminal on the high beam lamps.

The high beam on the dual filament lamps, and the other terminal on the high beam lamps are Red with a White stripe, and all are tied together, and the single Red/White wire goes to the headlight relay.

The low beam terminal on the headlight lamps is Red with a Black stripe, and both are tied together, and go to the headlight relay.

At the headlight relay, a Red wire with a Yellow stripe goes to the light switch. After the light switch, a black wire goes to ground.

This is a question for all you 510 gurus out there. Where does the black ground wire from the light switch actually ground to the body of the car?