KA24DE cold air intake questions

I got this cold air intake pipe off ebay for $27....

I had to cut a few inches off the end to make it fit with my dual 12" fans:

I need to relocate the valve cover breather........ where would be the best place?...... .. unless I can plug the valve cover breather????

710.2.JPG

710.3.JPG

I obviously have not started the motor with this intake pipe...... I don't want to hurt anything by plugging the valve cover breather tube.

I am using the stock s13 MAF________ any suggestions?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't the vent with the filter supposed to be connected to the inlet pipe between the throttle body and the MAF? Otherwise any air sucked into the motor ends up drawn into the intake by the PCV valve and it's not accounted for by the MAF.

it is only necessary if you route the hose from the breather back to the intake track but since you have that breather on the valve cover then no need. not like you are trying to make it pass any visual inspections but if that were the case that intake would be illegal anyways. I would just cap it so not to take in any debris back into the intake

Where is the PCV valve?

Every KA i can find on the internet has a hose off the intake tube..... some have a Tee going to the valve cover and to the tube that runs through the intake manifold (circled in green below:)...

What does this tube go to?:

710.4.JPG

I am a total noob to fuel injection............ and I have been searching the web for days,,, , and cannot find one KA without that hose

it really dont matter the only reason you connect them is to use your air filter to filter the air coming in to your pcv valve/valve cover. If you run the mini air filter it does the same thing...... you need SOMETHING to filter that air though...

Actually the PCV valve is the positive crankcase ventilation valve. On a KA it is the one way check valve that is located on the front cover below the thermostat housing. It only opens when there is positive pressure in the crankcase. The check valve is there so that it won't suck anything up. However, it is not what is connected to the fitting. From looking at some pictures of a stock 240sx engine, it looks like the valve cover breather (different from the PCV valve) is connected there. When it is removed the air that the computer assumes is there isn't, so it will run a little rich. At least in theory, it may run just fine without it. Like you I know very little about EFI.

That tube is for your IACV. It needs to be plugged into the intake pipe AFTER the MAF. Typical intakes have at least 2 "ports" or "bungs" welded near the throttle body.

One bung is for the PCV, and is merely a hose that connects the intake to the valve cover tube. It takes the fuel and oil vapor that come from inside the head and pushes them into the intake to be recycled. It keeps you from polluting the environment, basically. It uses a check valve inside the hose that only lets air flow from the head to the intake, not the opposite way. Most people plug that bung and put a filter on the valve cover rather that cycle foul air into the intake.

The other bung, again, is meant for the IACV. The metal tube leads back and plugs into the IACV and another related valve. Those are what allow air to flow through the intake when you're sitting and idling. Without the IACV functioning, you'll need to use the throttle plate adjustment screw to "crack" the butterfly valve just enough for the motor to run. Up-side is you can easily set idle wherever you want, down-side is that depending on the temperature/weather/situation, sometimes the idle will fluctuate and you might run slightly rich/slightly lean at idle.

Refer to this site for more information on what you can/can't remove from the intake manifold. Fairly detailed with lots of pictures and explanations!

http://www.liquidmathematics.com/temp/EGR-Removal.pdf