Need an opinion about a change out

Ronnie D

Hello, I have just recently bought a 1976 620 that was sitting in an elderly lady's yard. Truck has been sitting for several years but is in amazingly great shape. She said the motor was running when her husband last parked it but then he passed away and she hasn't touched it since. I have found a motor and tranny that I think would be good to purchase, here is a copy of the craigslist ad...

Datsun/Nissan A12 (1289cc) 4 cylinder motor and 4 speed transmission. Motor has all new head with valves, springs, guides, seals, etc. Motor has been tanked, cleaned, polished, has new crank, new main, rod, crank bearings, pistons, rings, freeze plugs, includes valve cover and oil pan. Some parts have been painted. Very good little motor and will fit a number of applications. Includes a box full of parts. This motor gets 35-42 MPG and runs great. Was made for the 72-76 model Nissan models but will fit other models or can be adapted to fit other needs. I am asking $750.00 firm. If interested, please email me and put "Motor" in the subject line to keep the spammers down.

I have spoken with the guy and have asked him several questions. Although I consider myself educated and talented as far as body work and interior is concerned, I have no knowledge of motors etc..So therefore I am asking anyone to give me some advice...Should I buy this set up..is it a good deal...or should I go with a bigger engine since I am gonna have to do a replacement in it anyways...

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. I am looking forward to restoring this machine and getting it back on the road.

You may respond to this post or by email at.........ronnie.davis@wilburtondiggers.org or by phone at 918-448-5685

Thanks

Ronnie

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Datsun 620s have L motors in there

datsun 210s and B210 had A motors. Totally different.

Olddatsuns.com has a wealth of info and the Tech section also. read up.

if it was running bEFORE maybe you can get it running. Ck for bad gas first

If you have spark(if points ck for gap)

have compression (ck the valve lash)

have fuel(carb ,accell pump) it will fire.

Thanks guys for all the information. You have been very helpful. I guess before I do anything I will take and have a diagnostic machine put on it and see if I can get the motor in it running. If not then I will be back here asking for suggestions on other motor options...lol.

I haven't got any pictures of it yet...this was just yesterday. Interesting story. I just traded last saturday a golf car for a 1976 620 kingcab delux,,,it needs some body work (has two rust holes and a couple of dents), and the upholstery needs redone, but the thing runs and drives great....he also gave me $800 taboot,,,I think it was a great deal for me. However, I really wanted a single cab....so last night I am driving to town on a county road and I saw a datsun in a yard, I told my wife I wanted to stop and look at it...before I got out I told my wife, " I hope it belongs to an old lady that wants rid of it ", well it did,,,she said its been in her yard since her husband died and she didn't want it,,,I said what do you want for it,,,she said......will you give me $100,,,,,,,I said,,,SOLD ! lol

So now I have two datsun's,,,,,,,,,they are such cool little trucks.

Thanks again for all the help----oh and my wife is about to kill me and said she would if I buy another vehicle.......I now own 10.....lol

Ronnie

Great story Ronnie! Welcome! The good news is it is tough to kill a datsun drivetrain! More than a few have been pulled from a field and with little more than cleaning the points (on a points distributor) and some fresh gas, have been running again. It is the bodies and frames that tend to put them in the graveyard!

Case in point. I just bought a 59 dastun that sat in the desert for 40 years, and with little more than a new condenser , point adjustment, and a new coil, got it running again.

I know little about car mechanics, but these guys will have your engine straightened out in no time.

Great story Ronnie! Welcome! The good news is it is tough to kill a datsun drivetrain! More than a few have been pulled from a field and with little more than cleaning the points (on a points distributor) and some fresh gas, have been running again. It is the bodies and frames that tend to put them in the graveyard!

Case in point. I just bought a 59 dastun that sat in the desert for 40 years, and with little more than a new condenser , point adjustment, and a new coil, got it running again.

I know little about car mechanics, but these guys will have your engine straightened out in no time.

+1000

if it ran when it was parked there it will run, some fresh gas, after draining the old, new oil and top up the water it should run.

new belts and hoses before you drive it and it will be fine.

When I start a Datto thats been sitting for a long time, I like to pull the valve cover, and pour some fresh oil on the cam and valve train, before cranking it, so the top end is saved a dry start

I would check that engine out first before thinking about buying another engine, btw ppl. here are right, that's like a b210 engine, smaller. And if you do decide to use that engine, after compression check, tune up, make sure you drain the gas tank or have it cleaned out. If it's been sitting there for quites some time, maybe the gas is bad.When you do open the gas tank and smells like turpentine and not like gas, then it's bad. While you are there, you may want to take out the gas tank and some shop like a radiator shop that cleans out the tank.

Good luck...let us know what happended.

So you have two '76 620s? A KC that is a runner and a reg cab from an old lady that might run. What's the problem. You have a spare running L20B in the KC..

Check your build date on the door tag. I thought 620 Deluxe were '77 model year. If your build date is Aug '76 and on, it's a '77 model. Don't go by the registration. Doug, when was the first Deluxe?

• 2 weeks later...