Hillsboro B110 Coupe - Gray two-tone?

808DA6

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW! Almost 2 1/2 years since the last update. Did a re-ring and a head rebuild on the A15 about 2 years ago and have been driving it regularly ever since. The 195/45-14 T1Rs that are on the Minilites are wasted. Since I don't have an extra $450 right now I decided to pick up some tires for the wheels that came on the wagon and try them for a while. I've never really been much of a fan of this style wheel but they are growing on me. I had to reduce the moar lower in the rear to avoid rubbing issues.

001-37.jpg

002-29.jpg

I've kinda been debating on whether I want to keep this car. It's been fun but after 6 years I'm getting bored I guess. I'm sure I would regret it but with 7 other cars and a motorcycle I have plenty of distraction. We'll see...

Figures that I hit the forum after who-knows-how-long and a thread I posted on in '08 is at the top of the list. The wind blew the door of my storage tent open and I saw the front quarter of my coupe.. next thing I know I'm on craigslist and ratsun. Maybe its time to clean up the "shop".

• 1 month later...

Got new seats! I've been riding around on some wasted Z seats with cheap covers for 7 years now. RATDAT hooked me up with a really nice pair of stock replacements. After I thought about it a bit, I thought maybe they would be better suited for my brother's Z project.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/7202-backwoods-z/

He's staying stock and my car is far from it. He brought by his reupholstered set and we traded. Here's my new saddles...

001-50.jpg

002-39.jpg

• 1 month later...

Just checked out the CL ad... Looks great... GLWS

Can you please provide some insight into the motorcycle carb set-up? This configuration really appeals to me. Just my opinion, but I think motorcycles continued to develop carbs longer than autos (which were going EFI). And having had motorcycles, I understand them better than what I have now.

How does it drive?

Rev quicker?

Much fiddling or re-jetting involved?

Did yo have a build thread that I missed?

I never really did a build thread but I have responded to questions like yours in several other places over the years. It runs really well. Starts easily and idles great. the acceleration is what you would expect and the throttle response is incredible. Here's how the process breaks down. I fabbed the intake for the A15 on the stand while taking measurements from the A12 in the car.

DSC00789.jpg

It was made from leftover thick wall tubing from a sandrail I built. The ID was the same as the throttle plates and I smashed the engine end to an oval shape which was the exact same the H89 oval ports. The "bends" are actually pie-cut wedges welded together. Each runner was 8-10 pieces. The couplers are sections of fuel filler hose. In a 1200 it's a very tight fit to stay under the hood and above the brake master.

005-4.jpg

Once I had the A15 swapped into the car and the carbs and intake installed I found it very hard to start. Once started, it was extremely lean. It runs the factory fuel pump with no regulator. I was able to reuse the factory throttle cable and used a random cable (Audi trunk release?) for the enrichment valve (choke). I was told that these carbs came from a Katana 600 but more research indicted that they were the exact same used on the GSXR 600, 750 and 1100 with jetting being the only difference. Depending on the model year some had a cable operated enrichment valve while others used a knob mounted directly to the carb rack. I used the cable style so I can actually control it from inside the car ;) . It's in the choke knob location below the wiper switch in the photo but I later moved it under the dash.

005.jpg

For the jetting I asked around and everyone said that EDR in Portland was the place to go since they tune sport bikes. What a bunch of useless D-bags! They can't do anything that requires more than plugging in a tuner to an EFI bike or install an aftermarket pipe. Dead end. So I went to my local bike shop, D&S, and talked to the "old guy" that owns the place. Coincidentally, his son owns EDR :rolleyes: . I explaned what I was doing and asked if he had any jetting suggestions. He went around the corner and came back with a shoebox full of spare jets that he had acquired over the years from pipe kits. He handed me the box, wished me luck and said I could bring back what I didn't use. After some trial and error I found a combination that runs pretty well. I took the box back and he charged me $10. I think there is still some room for improvement but it's 95% there. It feels a shade lean at WOT and idle is a touch rich that that just makes it easier to drive when it's cold. There's no popping, backfiring, bogging or black smoke. It's pretty close and I've been driving it as-is for over 4 years and have had ZERO problems with the fuel system.