Coilovers / Camber plates

jonesy510

so im planning on buyin some ground control coilovers and camber plates for my goon. now this might b a stupid question but for the strut options it ask for 15mm Nissan, 15mm Japanese, or 5/8 Koni. Im plannin on just running the stock struts so it should be the 15mm Nissan correct? Is it even worth running camber plates? i really dont wanna pull out my front fenders so i was hoping this will allow me to drop the front another inch er two lower with out pulling the fenders.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree to use the zx strut housings and brakes. way better. for me on my goon I used this set up with ground controls and tokico hps and roll center spacers and it worked great. no negative camber and no tire wear. I was able to lower the front a good two inches. If I were to do it again I would maybe use the mr2 inserts and mod the strut body to make it shorter for more travel but if I go this route I have a feeling I would need a camber kit as the car would be lower now with the shorter body struts making the lower arms to go up higher and causing negative camber.

if you need coil overs and camber kits PM me as I do offer them at decent prices.

Benzo

i have the 3 inch blocks in the back and with the cut springs up front the car sit a lil high in the front. I would like to b able to achieve a stance close to this

goonplans.jpg

this is the tire gap i have now up front and i was hoping with coilovers i will b able to almost tuck tire.

DSCN2672.jpg

DSCN2671.jpg

4183480805_c3d351be3e_o.jpg

i too was thing the zx route while im putting the coilovers on

@jonesy510: did you mod your driveshaft tunnel /differential bump stop to get 3" blocks in there? I used 2" blocks but want to go 1" lower. I too have been running cut springs up front with the stock struts, but recently picked up the 280ZX struts/brakes w/ GC adj coilovers, TEIN camber plates and RCA's, I hear it's the right way to do it :D

I agree to use the zx strut housings and brakes. way better. for me on my goon I used this set up with ground controls and tokico hps and roll center spacers

are you trying to talk me out of the illuminas? :lol:

i also combined this with a 69 xmember to do away w/the RCA.

im going to get my stuff over the 20th-21st weekend/swapmeet, if you want to pay him and have me bring it it back...

im looking for a better set of 2" blocks...

@jonesy510: did you mod your driveshaft tunnel /differential bump stop to get 3" blocks in there? I used 2" blocks but want to go 1" lower. I too have been running cut springs up front with the stock struts, but recently picked up the 280ZX struts/brakes w/ GC adj coilovers, TEIN camber plates and RCA's, I hear it's the right way to do it :D

yea lots of cutting haha there are a couple threads on here of guys with a stance similar or lower then mine. GreenGoon from utah IMO has one of the cleanest lowering jobs done. he is on car domain and here and he says he carries two kids in the back with no bottoming out problems. ice house also did a goon with 4 inch blocks and has some pics posted up but with the modded tunnel he did but the back seat isnt functional.

As for mine my back seat is semi functional mean it folds down but i cant really have anyone ride in the back or else my rear diff hits the car and i rub my tires. i personally dont mine not being able to carry alot of people but if u would still like to able to haul some kids around in the back seats i would ask greengoon about his set up. Icehouse might have cut a little to much but the goon he did is also lower then mine i do believe. As for my goon i dont think i cut enough cause if i hit some larger bumps or get on the gas i my diff hits my goon.

sorry no pics or links cause the search on here has been pissin me off lately haha :rolleyes:

some advice i can give u is jack up the car first and find out were u wanna cut and make sure all ur brakes lines are clear. GreenGoon and i almost cut our brake lines :D :D

are you trying to talk me out of the illuminas? :lol:

i also combined this with a 69 xmember to do away w/the RCA.

im going to get my stuff over the 20th-21st weekend/swapmeet, if you want to pay him and have me bring it it back...

im looking for a better set of 2" blocks...

haha good one. let me know when and if you need or want the shocks as I have to go pick them up and have them ready for you

i have the 3 inch blocks in the back and with the cut springs up front the car sit a lil high in the front. I would like to b able to achieve a stance close to this

goonplans.jpg

this is the tire gap i have now up front and i was hoping with coilovers i will b able to almost tuck tire.

DSCN2672.jpg

DSCN2671.jpg

4183480805_c3d351be3e_o.jpg

i too was thing the zx route while im putting the coilovers on

the zx struts with coil overs will help a lot. i highly recommend looking into using a mr2 insert and make the body of the zx strut assembly shorter and be able to use the mr2 shock. if you go this route you most likely will need to use a camber plate kit also. look at your suspension parts also to check for wear and age and replace like ball joints and tie rods and bushings. makes a big difference.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Jonesy. I've thought about doing camber plates and z struts as i'd like to run some wheels with a lip. My Infinitys are 15x6.5 +25 but with a little rear fender work and the right tire i could probably get another 3/4". I've got a buddy with wheels like yours and I'm going to have him come over and mock them up to see what will fit. My ace in the hole is the tire size 175/55/15. I think you might be able to tuck your rear wheels with those tires but it would be tight. I'll let you know what I come up with.

Here's what I have in the back: 3" blocks, about 1.5" dearched leafs, I modified the front leaf hanger to suck it up closer to the body. I have air shocks (smallest ones that Gabriel made with the eye and the post-not sure what they originally were off) and that is how i can carry people. I took 3 of my friends to lunch one day with no bottoming issues. When I'm aired out the axle hits the exhaust. With 70 psi it only raises about 1.75" if that. Just enough to help with the road.

For the front i have cut down stock 510 struts using the instructions that came with my groundcontrol coil overs and tokico shocks. I made a new top hat with a piece of 3/16 round plate and welded a small part of a pipe to hold the bearing. Its only about 1" tall and thats how I can get the front so low. The 175s made all the difference at that height. I can go a good .75" lower than the 195/50/15s. I'm actually planning some new top hats that will extend up to about the bottom of the hood to give me some more travel and I can crank down even farther for shows (not driveable at that height). Hopefully I can figure that out by JCCS.

I'd be happy to share any other info if needed. http://s490.photobucket.com/albums/rr265/99datsun510/

IMG_1636.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

jonsey to get as low as you want with you wheels you need to go z struts... then you need to cut them down and put the mr2 inserts...

the stock 510 strut is pretty long and even with them all the way bottomed out you have a lil wheel gap still

however the 280zx stock strut is shorter their for alowing you to go lower right out of the box

my car has stock unmodded 280zx struts with gc coilover kit and no camber plates and a pair of rca's.. its as low as you can go right now befor it really rides liek crap and right now big big bumps or bumps on a turn my car bottoms out i need to do the mr2 mod next and ad camber plates to the set up

chriscampics358.jpg

oh and to get the back where you want it you need a IRS swap

yea lots of cutting haha there are a couple threads on here of guys with a stance similar or lower then mine. GreenGoon from utah IMO has one of the cleanest lowering jobs done. he is on car domain and here and he says he carries two kids in the back with no bottoming out problems. ice house also did a goon with 4 inch blocks and has some pics posted up but with the modded tunnel he did but the back seat isnt functional

The back seat on this goon was still functional just not in the middle haha :) I'm also not sure how much weight it could hold before it would rub since it's not my rig.

IMG00182-1.JPG.jpg

This one actually has less mods to the cargo area and tunnel area. It was way more of a bitch to do and still needs a little fine tuning but overall it looks way more gangster :)

2010-02-06%2010.28.15.jpg

. i love the DOOM GOON!! but to do mods like that i just have the things needed to do it "money, tools, place to store my goon blah blah blah :hmm: " i never wanna part with my goon so i hope that one day i can do the irs swap :crying: :crying: one day.... one day.....but for now i think im just gunna stick with my 3 inch blocks in the back and maybhet my springs de arch my springs as well.

so it looks like the route/plan for the front would b zx struts, mr2 inserts gc coilovers and camber plates... well time to go find some zx struts... or order some coilovers...