5 lug old school wheels

Just wanted to know if anyone has any thoughts on old school style wheels for the 5x114.3 pattern? The style of rims that I want for my Hilux seem to all be 4 lug such as Rewinds, Axis OG, Konig B Bomb, etc. Has anyone converted hubs before to a different pattern? Is 5 to 4 reasonable? I can't go with adapters because I want the entire 0 offset goodness. I have thought about XXRs as they have 5 lug but I want to explore my options. Thanks!

IMG_0765.jpg

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/14474-my-new-toy-truck/

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kamakazi620

Just wanted to know if anyone has any thoughts on old school style wheels for the 5x114.3 pattern? The style of rims that I want for my Hilux seem to all be 4 lug such as Rewinds, Axis OG, Konig B Bomb, etc. Has anyone converted hubs before to a different pattern? Is 5 to 4 reasonable? I can't go with adapters because I want the entire 0 offset goodness. I have thought about XXRs as they have 5 lug but I want to explore my options. Thanks!

IMG_0765.jpg

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/14474-my-new-toy-truck/

Rock some reverse Cragar SS or some Supremes!!

i had the same problem with my toyota crown. the 2 sets of rims i have bought are 17" steelies of dodge magnum/cry 300/charger. And my latest find are American racing Mesh wheels. Both could be cool on your truck. I also scored 2 Ronal r9's,{5 spoke} they would be best for a truck i think. I'd even sell but i only have 2, plus mercedes guys love these and i was hoping to mark up the price!

American Racing Mesh 192 searching ebay you will find a guy with some, he sold me 1 to complete my set

IMG_0919.jpg

Ronal R9's-these are popular on starions/mercedes and others

IMG_0921.jpg

Here is the Dodge 17" steel, i have trim rings for these, could be cool on a truck?

a837800a.jpg

i think so too. Painted orange or slim green for a more radical look. Maybe a moon cap, or a smaller bullit hud cover could be cool. I like oversized steelies, i thought about trying to find something like that for the 620. I have heard of 20" steel wheel that are spare tires for big, new trucks.

Plus greengoon you might as well buy some of the steelies for backup, i got mine for like $30.

Guest kamakazi620

i think so too. Painted orange or slim green for a more radical look. Maybe a moon cap, or a smaller bullit hud cover could be cool. I like oversized steelies, i thought about trying to find something like that for the 620. I have heard of 20" steel wheel that are spare tires for big, new trucks.

Plus greengoon you might as well buy some of the steelies for backup, i got mine for like $30.

Or some Spider Caps!!!

Thanks guys. I appreciate the input. There's lots of cool wheels out there but I have my self imposed theme of early JDM car look. We'll see if that lasts as I'm bound to find a cool set that I can't live without.

I've heard good things about these guys for custom wheels:

http://www.diamondracingwheels.com/drwcustom.html

Guest kamakazi620

Thanks guys. I appreciate the input. There's lots of cool wheels out there but I have my self imposed theme of early JDM car look. We'll see if that lasts as I'm bound to find a cool set that I can't live without.

I've heard good things about these guys for custom wheels:

http://www.diamondracingwheels.com/drwcustom.html

Keep an eye out on C/L you might find some ENKEIS off an old camaro for cheep!!!!

I feel you man, i wanted some japanese style wheels for the Crown as well. What's funny is in Japan almost all the Crowns have american mag style wheels since it looks a bit like an american car. But any japanese style wheels in 5-lug are hard to find. That why i was exited about the "american" racing wheels. They a direct copies of enkei 92's! they even call them 192's! But they might be a little off going on a truck, but it would be unique. Ok i don't know if you follow the JNC blog, but 5-lugs was a topic a while back. Be prepared to go crazy wishing you could find a set!

to me, these are the best 5-lug wheels on the planet

Hoshino

a-wheel.jpg

Longchamps-lose a spoke, gain a hole!

awheel4.jpg

starshank

awheel5.jpg

works-they all seem to take a 5-spoke look on when 5-lug

awheeel2.jpg

classic look

awheel3.jpg

there is a webpage here with more

http://beeoneoneoh.wordpress.com/2009/06/12/the-wheels-they-have-5-holes/

Guest kamakazi620

Holy Sh!! I've never even seen these. Too bad their not 5 on 4.5".

Charlie-thanks for the input. I had forgotten about the American Racing 192s

[/

Is your truck Ford/Mopar pattern????? I always thought toyota's were 4 3/4 like chevys :blink:

Wow you already lowered it ? :cool: I know you want aftermarket but i say paint the stocks, & run the stock cap & a beauty ring.

& i wanna say that ive seen Jeep rims on Toyota trucks before so if they share the same lug pattern that may expand your search.

Yeah, the pattern is 5x114.3 or 4.5 so Mopar, Mustang Jeep and lots of front wheel drive cars. There are lots of cool low cost options out there. I've always been one to use factory take offs (Xteras on a Mazda pickup, 350Z on my Quest, Infinity on my goon) but I have this vision of a Japanese look with fender mirrors, etc. (Less Hot Rod, more JDM)I do like steelies but the ones on it now are of the 80s variety and I would want to find originals with the dog dish hubcaps. I have even thought about wider painted stock from Wheel vintiques or Diamond Racing. Also, repro Ansen Sprints from AM Racing.

If its roadworthy before I find a set I'll run my Mercedes hubcaps (from BRE510 waaaaay back in the day- talk about 80s, huh?)

Guest kamakazi620

Yeah, the pattern is 5x114.3 or 4.5 so Mopar, Mustang Jeep and lots of front wheel drive cars. There are lots of cool low cost options out there. I've always been one to use factory take offs (Xteras on a Mazda pickup, 350Z on my Quest, Infinity on my goon) but I have this vision of a Japanese look with fender mirrors, etc. (Less Hot Rod, more JDM)I do like steelies but the ones on it now are of the 80s variety and I would want to find originals with the dog dish hubcaps. I have even thought about wider painted stock from Wheel vintiques or Diamond Racing. Also, repro Ansen Sprints from AM Racing.

If its roadworthy before I find a set I'll run my Mercedes hubcaps (from BRE510 waaaaay back in the day- talk about 80s, huh?)

Mercedes hubcaps for the WIN!!!!! i remember a dude on ma steet runnin those on a old nova!!! i asked him why??? he said Cuz there cool!!! i was in grade school at the time and thought he was dumb but i was only 8yo now i look back and i was the dumb one

Whatever you do, don't buy AMG "penta's" (Pic after the ARE Meshies). Mercedes among other german mfg's use a 5x112 not 5x114.3 bolt spacing, and since it's not hubcentric you cant really oval the wholes out for funzies (not that you'd want to).

Whatever you do, don't buy AMG "penta's" (Pic after the ARE Meshies). Mercedes among other german mfg's use a 5x112 not 5x114.3 bolt spacing, and since it's not hubcentric you cant really oval the wholes out for funzies (not that you'd want to).

MAG58-Interseting info on the "pentas" i am wondering a few things about what you said. Those wheels fit fine on my Crown which is 5x114.3. There seem to be many variations of the wheel. Peaple tell me they are Ronal r9's but i believe they are acaully made by American Racing, which i hear is much more rare than the Ronals. So i only have 2 and am looking for 2 more, i obviosly don't want to buy some "pentas" that you said wouldn't fit. American racing or ronals would be fine, and i have been looking on starion/mercedes forums for them since they where possibly a factory option. So are you saying if i find some that fit a mercedes that i shouldn't buy them? thanks

Mercedes are hub centric, meaning that the hub of the wheel bears the weight and the lugs are more or less there to keep the thing attached. That said, all mercedes (that I know of) are either 5x112 or 5x120. There were many AMG "penta" knockoffs that are in the 144.3 for other makes, but I'd stray away from MB specific wheels. Usually MB's use a more fwdish offset anyways (+20 or +35 depending on model/year).

You can tell true AMG (or Ronal) wheels because the name is cast into one of the lug bosses. Origional Penta's were WIDE though.

mercedes.jpg

Good info guys! I always remembered the Ronals mostly on the 720s in the 80s and they usually had toyota 5 lug conversions so I always assumed the wheels could be had in 5x114.3. The Mercedes emblems were added on for looks, I thought.

• 1 month later...

Dwayne those lok really good. I "aquired" a set of those for my Mazda/Courier back in the day. Used easy off oven cleaner & steel wool to get the paint off... :rolleyes:

Also a friend of mine here Greg has them on his 620.......

18ydr4.jpg

oh & damm your Hilux is low..love it !

Damn it looks good with those caps, and as far as the finding rims for the toy, I own 2 toy p/u's and they are a coman bolt pattern, almost as popular as 4 X 100...I cant believe you cant find the rims you like in your pattern. But bst of luck, and I think it looks good the way it sits...

• 10 months later...

After lots of thought - wide steelies, Bassett Racing, Ansen Slots, etc. - this is what I'm going with:

IMG_0836.jpg

IMG_0834.jpg

15x7 +0 - they fit the boxyness of the truck and the gold kinda matches the rust. :lol: They've never been mounted, just bouncing around a shop for 15+ years. After a long storage period, I'm back to working on the truck and hope to have it on the road this summer. Updates in my build thread.