datchvy a datsun with a 305

1974datsun

today i talked my buddy into trading me my red 620 for his 305 sbc. it has a fresh rebuild 1500 miles ago, and i have a holley double pumper for it!!!! :D. he just got a 350. cant wait!!! some pics of the motor im taking the cluch off for the turbo 400! sickin in it my 74 620 im stoked. but i need to get a job

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Won't fit.

Of course anything will fit with a smoke spanner or blue tipped wrench. What I mean is it (the truck) will need cutting and that's poor form I think. I looked at this and there's no room for a rad. Maybe without the clutch fan and run an electric.

Won't fit.

Of course anything will fit with a smoke spanner or blue tipped wrench. What I mean is it (the truck) will need cutting and that's poor form I think. I looked at this and there's no room for a rad. Maybe without the clutch fan and run an electric.

Blue Tipped Wrench ! LOL !!! hahahaha ! Yes , an electric will have to be run , and the radiator can go other places if need be ( but with electric fan(s) , I have even seen them in truck beds on datsun truck conversions. The only thing I would stress on entirely is making sure you have (1) rear axle you wish to have (2) measure the correct driveline lenght (or get help if need be , maybe pay someone a consulting fee depending on type , ride height , and suspension .)

That's a fun project that you will have there , and I have driven a built s-10 v8 conversion , scary fast like butt cheek clenching fast with a turbo 350 (stall converter) , and 3.73 12 bolt chev rear axle. ! If you plan on racing , stick a roll bar or roll cage somewhere as you know ;) :D I am not a purist with cars , but this would be a very fun little project !

Good Luck , and just remember to reinforce , take pictures , then you can start cutting :cool:

BTW brothers friend holds the record for longest burnout in my city ( north pole ) , the officer even said in all of his time he has never seen one that long ! ( the dude plugged his rear brake lines with caps , so only had front brakes , hahahaha :D )

Blue Tipped Wrench ! LOL !!! hahahaha ! Yes , an electric will have to be run , and the radiator can go other places if need be ( but with electric fan(s) , I have even seen them in truck beds on datsun truck conversions. The only thing I would stress on entirely is making sure you have (1) rear axle you wish to have (2) measure the correct driveline lenght (or get help if need be , maybe pay someone a consulting fee depending on type , ride height , and suspension .)

That's a fun project that you will have there , and I have driven a built s-10 v8 conversion , scary fast like butt cheek clenching fast with a turbo 350 (stall converter) , and 3.73 12 bolt chev rear axle. ! If you plan on racing , stick a roll bar or roll cage somewhere as you know ;) :D I am not a purist with cars , but this would be a very fun little project !

Good Luck , and just remember to reinforce , take pictures , then you can start cutting :cool:

BTW brothers friend holds the record for longest burnout in my city ( north pole ) , the officer even said in all of his time he has never seen one that long ! ( the dude plugged his rear brake lines with caps , so only had front brakes , hahahaha :D )

i want to get a 350 sbc. but i have a few parts i can use to beef up the 305

i want to get a 350 sbc. but i have a few parts i can use to beef up the 305

just use what ya got and spend the money on the rest of your conversion. when your ready for the 350 it will only take a few hours to do so since the casting and mounting areas are the same :D ;)

• 3 weeks later...

just use what ya got and spend the money on the rest of your conversion. when your ready for the 350 it will only take a few hours to do so since the casting and mounting areas are the same :D ;)

im not going to jump on this project i want to get my l18 done and drive it around, im selling the 305 and when i blow up the l18, a 250 will take its place!!!

I've scored a 350/350 combo, and I'm goina stick it in my '74 620 too. If anybody has info or any kinda pics or what nots, I'm all ears and would appreciate all info avaliable.

shayne

Read the previous posts. It does not fit, no room. You are also adding 200lb of weight to the front. There are only a few ways this will work and an infinite number of ways to get in over your head and not finish it only to scrap a perfectly good running truck. There's a reason for V8 S10s. The motor basically drops in and the swap is very well documented. Probably kits for it.

yeah...it looks like it will fit, but it wont. I had a 350 set aside for my 510 wagon...the steering box is in the way, and unless you are taking out the firewall, you will have to extend the nose of the truck out...

anything can be done with enough time, patience, and fabrication...but like everyone else has said, unless you plan to make the truck non-street legal and put half the engine in the cab...its a pipe dream.

However, if you are completely sold on sticking a chevy in your ratsun, might I suggest a 4.3l V6...its a 350 with two cylinders lopped off. tons of aftermarket parts, and hotrod did a budget build on one and made an easy 300hp with cheap parts.

however, if time and money are concerns...forget about it. go buy yourself a japanese CA18DET complete front half of a car, and pop that in. it will fit a hell of alot easier and cheaper, and will have 200hp with very little modification and prolly weight half as much as your proposed 350.

p.s. 305 engines are boat anchors. they have been repeatedly voted as one of the worst american v8s of all time by multiple car magazines and websites. you can spend thousands on one just to get a meager 300 hp. I would say do that piece of metal a favor and turn it into scrap metal or a oversized doorstop.

There's a reason for V8 S10s. The motor basically drops in and the swap is very well documented. Probably kits for it.

One of my Brothers has a V8 in his S10, it's a 350 with a mild cam and holley blaw blaw. It does alright but IMO it's not as cool as you would think. After going for a few rides it just seems kinda boring, all the power is down low. It's just not the same as a turbo 4 banger or any turbo engine for that matter. I like all the power up top . my 2 cents on V8 conversions.

Guest DatsuNoob

At sema this year was a 1972 620 black with sbc 350 he cut up the floor and fire wall to make it fit and it had a pusher electric fan I will try and find pictures

They didnt make 620's in '72 ;) :D , I say do what you want. If you wanna hack up a rig for your own enjoyment and vision, go for it. Sometimes a guy's gotta use whatever's around too, in this case a 305. The truth is however, 305's are slower 'n snot and not quite worth the hassle when it comes to weighing HP output vs weight and MPG's. There are many other options to get a better power to weight ratio, and still not break the bank at every fill up. I think you may be disappointed if you follow through on that, but good luck if you do.

The parts truck I bought last year was from a guy who was going to put a V8 in it.He took it half way apart,and lost interest.Not saying it will happen to you,but Ebay is full of 'project' cars and trucks.

BUT,on the other hand,several years ago in Truckin' magazine there was a 620 with an Olds Toronado engine and drivetrain mounted in the rear. So anything's possible. Good luck if you decide to do it,and plan ahead.

I posted the pictures to show you can put a sbc in a datsun 620. I drive my datsun 620 daily and love my L18 and gas mileage but at 18 you want cheap power. A sbc is cheap and can be done sow many ways. He can put a 327 crank in it and up grade the heads and have big cheap HP or go to wrecking yard and 350 sbc and do a valve job on 305 heads have 10.5 to 1 compression. Chevy motor are cheap and you can end up with the top end power or bottom end power you want. I thing he should build his dream and not care what any one else thinks. I drove a capri in high school with a 351 stuffed between the fender wells fun car not practical, but a datsun 620 with a y44 V8 would be cool.

• Like 1

If it (chev 305/350) fit, there would be lots of chev powered Datsuns and well documented swapps and there would be at least a chance that it would be completed. Anything, I mean anything can be made to fit, I realize that. This is beyond most peoples skill level, ability, problem solving and fabrication skills.

Guest DatsuNoob

If it (chev 305/350) fit, there would be lots of chev powered Datsuns and well documented swapps and there would be at least a chance that it would be completed. Anything, I mean anything can be made to fit, I realize that. This is beyond most peoples skill level, ability, problem solving and fabrication skills.

I dunno, I'm a total fucktard high school dropout, and I managed some KA swap fabrication with minimal effort.

I stand corrected...those pictures prove that I was wrong and you do not have to cut out the firewall to make it fit...

NOT!

yeah. you can make it fit. like I said. chop out the fire wall or extend the front. it will fit. but not without alot of fabbing...and you are left with a very heavy engine(BTW, it will be a PITA if you ever need to pull the distributor)...a 305...dear lord. most of those engines have about the same HP rating as a stock naps z24 or a ka24.

well, if a 305 datsun is what you want and you have a welder and a cutting torch...by all means, snap to it.

Guest kamakazi620

They didnt make 620's in '72 ;) :D , I say do what you want. If you wanna hack up a rig for your own enjoyment and vision, go for it. Sometimes a guy's gotta use whatever's around too, in this case a 305. The truth is however, 305's are slower 'n snot and not quite worth the hassle when it comes to weighing HP output vs weight and MPG's. There are many other options to get a better power to weight ratio, and still not break the bank at every fill up. I think you may be disappointed if you follow through on that, but good luck if you do.

You Jackass!!! i have a '72 620!!