KA24DE versus SR20DE

KA24DE engine or SR20DE engine  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Which engine is better for racing and performance upgrades? KA24DE or SR20DE?

I race on an oval dirt track and I am completely out of the loop on DOHC engines. I know that the KA24DE and SR20SE are both very popular engine upgrades for a datsun 510 and that there are lots of performance parts available for both engines. :hyper: keep in mind that I will probably try to run carbs. I also know that the KA24DE is a larger displacement engine than the SR20DE, but I have found from racing that not all large displacement engine turn a lot of revs., so I'm running a poll to see what you all think is a better choice for a racing application. :unsure: Tell me what ya think. I've included a poll to vote and keep track of what everyone says.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I race on an oval dirt track and I am completely out of the loop on DOHC engines. I know that the KA24DE and SR20SE are both very popular engine upgrades for a datsun 510 and that there are lots of performance parts available for both engines. :hyper: keep in mind that I will probably try to run carbs. I also know that the KA24DE is a larger displacement engine than the SR20DE, but I have found from racing that not all large displacement engine turn a lot of revs., so I'm running a poll to see what you all think is a better choice for a racing application. :unsure: Tell me what ya think. I've included a poll to vote and keep track of what everyone says.

what do your rules say? the rules up here say i cant even run side drafts

what do your rules say? the rules up here say i cant even run side drafts

well...rules say "stock", but we don't tech, so it's pretty much run what ya brung. we have had guys with dual webers and HUGH cams, and no one ever says anything.

i say carb kade

i dont sugest going with a sr for dirt track racing as youll be running the motor hard and that inturn usually is at the cost of the motor.... ka24de will be tons cheaper and parts can be localy had at your local auto parts store if a track brake down happens....

also the srDE is hard to find a header and when you do it will only fit a RHD datsun becuz it will hit the steering box on the LHD.. and their a few other snags that the ka dose not have... like the upper water neck issues the fact that the motor was never offerd in the usa as a RWD version the list goes on...

if your set on a sr i would check out the realm and okayfines build he did a carb'd n/a sr and it came out nice but theirs TONS of one off parts on his build and while thats fine for a show car/ pleasure car, i would not recomend for dirt racing witch would require parts breaking.. and when they are one off, they are not cheap!!!!

go ka and what about single cam?... i HATE how everyone is liek if im going to do the work im going DE hahah the past 2 ka24e's i rode it pulled better then the ka24des i rode in....

but i like it that way becuz now all the single cam swaps are dirt cheap cuz the band wagon fan boys think twin cam is VTACK!!!!

i say carb kade

i dont sugest going with a sr for dirt track racing as youll be running the motor hard and that inturn usually is at the cost of the motor.... ka24de will be tons cheaper and parts can be localy had at your local auto parts store if a track brake down happens....

agreed! ka is cheaper and has more torque and horse power then a na sr

for dirt track i suggest the ka, the low end - mid range torque will be best suited there.. i've seen pleanty of sr's going off road, but unless your lookin for absolute top speed then theres really no point puttin a sr through all that crap lol.. the ka's are a dime a dozen easy to come by an if something happens you can get another easily..

yeah plus the cost factor, i would wana run my race car HARD not have to worry about the cost of another motor or rebuild.. the right place a kade can be had for as lil as 300 for a complete running motor.. as the SR is total FAN boy and that pulls 3 times the price for it.... and then it being JDM the parts prices go threw the roof!!!

dont get me wrong if i was rich i would have 10 SR swapped dimes but im just not a baller

i need to stop talking sr stuff with datsun guys, sorry but you guys just have no idea... lol

the ka is very very closely related to the l motors so i understand why yall are partial to them..

besides rwd sr20DE's are more rare an hard to come by, the DET's arent so hard.. an whats cool is we can still get low milage jdm motors.. try gettin a jdm ka.. its a joke.. the cool thing about ka's is theres lots, however most have high milage.. an rebuilds are more expensive then just gettin another one..

i need to stop talking sr stuff with datsun guys, sorry but you guys just have no idea... lol

the ka is very very closely related to the l motors so i understand why yall are partial to them..

besides rwd sr20DE's are more rare an hard to come by, the DET's arent so hard.. an whats cool is we can still get low milage jdm motors.. try gettin a jdm ka.. its a joke.. the cool thing about ka's is theres lots, however most have high milage.. an rebuilds are more expensive then just gettin another one..

a carbed ka will make more power then a carbed na sr look at ok fines numbers http://datsun510.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=20040

now if we are talking autech sr then i agree with you

okays also using Su's those are great but im sure if he threw some 45's on it that would turn that motor into a whole other beast

also my second 510 was supos to have a JDM ka24de... when i posted that up on forums and such i got laughed at and was told their is no such thing and ka is a truck motor peace of junk blah blah blah

my dad has a 95 240sx and that thing RIPS!!! i think KA's are great motors with awesome pull power for what it is. i like em single or dual cam i think they are bolth good motors and are pleanty of power for the light 510

i think alot of these people these days are dreaming of high hp numbers and just see a lil 150hp motor and say oh thats a shit motor

screw that a ka24de with a BC stroker kit head work some cams i bet that motor would frikin RIP awesome in a dime... thats my dream motor for my car

yea i'll agree a Carbed ka vs a Carbed sr would prolly be better.. the sr does best when fuel injected.. ITBS on the other hand are a completely different story.. the autech sr's are very far an few between.. next time i go to pir some of yall need to come down an see what a na sr can do.. FWD or not.. not to mention you can put the sr20ve head on a rwd de block and have a hell of a beast :)

yea i'll agree a Carbed ka vs a Carbed sr would prolly be better.. the sr does best when fuel injected.. ITBS on the other hand are a completely different story.. the autech sr's are very far an few between.. next time i go to pir some of yall need to come down an see what a na sr can do.. FWD or not.. not to mention you can put the sr20ve head on a rwd de block and have a hell of a beast :)

i agree but swaping heads makes it no longer a stock na sr and we where talking stock with carbs

yeah thats what im saying.. aftermarket suport is their for the ka24de as for the SR stuff will be custom 1 off parts... unless theirs some JDM company i have not seen with tons of cool parts for a srDE.... i know all this cuz i swapped a srDE non turbo in my uncles car and it was a pain finding parts... the dist cap ohhh god that was a pain

and people who say oh sentra ser parts are the same.... not really some are same but losts are diff

Btw i like to put them in from the bottom!!

chriscampics029.jpg

Stock vs stock the KA24DE has the SR20DE beat on torque, which on an oval will make a bit of difference.

SR20DE specs:

Maximum power: 140hp at 6400 rpm ( SAE net)

Maximum torque: 132 ft-lb at 4800 rpm ( SAE net)

KA24DE

# Max power: 155 hp (116 kW) @ 5600 rpm Frontier Engines 143 HP @ 4300rpm

# Max torque: 160 ft·lb (217 Nm) @ 4400 rpm

As for aftermarket parts, the SR20 I'd think would have more but its mostly turbo parts...

okays also using Su's those are great but im sure if he threw some 45's on it that would turn that motor into a whole other beast

also my second 510 was supos to have a JDM ka24de... when i posted that up on forums and such i got laughed at and was told their is no such thing and ka is a truck motor peace of junk blah blah blah

my dad has a 95 240sx and that thing RIPS!!! i think KA's are great motors with awesome pull power for what it is. i like em single or dual cam i think they are bolth good motors and are pleanty of power for the light 510

i think alot of these people these days are dreaming of high hp numbers and just see a lil 150hp motor and say oh thats a shit motor

screw that a ka24de with a BC stroker kit head work some cams i bet that motor would frikin RIP awesome in a dime... thats my dream motor for my car

To my knowledge, there never was a KA24DE in Japan. All the 240sx'/Silvias got the SR20 turbo over there. Maybe they used it in some vans or small utility pickups, but not that I'm aware of.

Anyway, the SR20 is more refined and is a better basis for overall power due to the extensive engineering, aftermarket support, and the massive boost potential.

That said, the KA is a fine motor, and it's larger displacement.

If you are allowed to run turbo (I didn't read any on the rules) then go with the SR.

If you are not allowed to run turbo, go with the KA, simple as that. Naturally aspirated = displacement wins.

The NA SRs had 140 hp.

The NA KADEs had 154ish hp, and a lot more torque. You tell me which is better.

the rwd and fwd sr are identical except for the bellhousing bolt pattern.. an the head is different i think for where the intake bolts on.. the biggest difference in the fwd vs rwd sr is maybe gear ratio in the tranny.. an powerloss to the ground.. but then you gotta think the fwd is going to have alot less traction an suffer at taking off.. i've smoked several 240sx's with a stock de, so has my friend.. ya the 240's 200lbs heavier but i had a passenger an so did my friend.. the 240's didnt..

theres tons of aftermarket support for the srde's.. cams, intakes light weight pulleys an flywheels.. stroker kits.. over sized pistons an gaskets.. seriously theres all kinds of stuff..

an ya dislexic your right man, we were talkin stock.. i was just sayin that its possible and very effective..

aight guys enough of this debate.. he was crazy to even post this thread lol.. but seriously i think we're all going to agree the ka would be a better choice for him..

yeah my hole point is SRDE NON TURBO aftermarket suport..

i know the sr turbo has tons of aftermarket parts buuuuut thats not what his vote is for

its between a ka24de and a sr20DE

omg bro, seriously.. go freakin search.. please! lol thats so not true, there is pleanty of support.. we dont need false statements clouding the information..

sorry 420 the FWD motor the insides are the same.. but everything about the outside of the motor is diff.. it even has a diff block!!!! the intake comes out at the back of the motor the dist is on the back of the motor the vavle cover is not even the same!!!